R.E.D. World War II development thread

it's a strange bug happening with scenario, with unit types (not number of unit, not number of unit classes, but number of unit types). I don't think there's a hard limit in the game itself, I'll have to test that more when we hit that wall again (I had remove almost all of vanilla units to make room a few versions ago), but loading a map script was workin if I remember correctly, while loading a WB map based on the mod give assert errors.

.....and if you want to tackle the strategic view icons, there is a 210 hard limit from what I can tell.

Here are two saves as Germany using v.17
On both they crash when you move the to next turn.

One on turn 29 the other on turn 57.

NOTE as the USA I was able to get to turn 143 without any crashes.

Attachments

• scen1936Crash.rar
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
Thanks for the report, crash confirmed, but the cause is unknown yet. It seems to happen during Stalin turn. I'm having a look at it.

Well, after investigation, it may be related to France projects, but I don't know why it crash...

heres the next turn saves, but it may happens again in a few turns.

those games where started on v17 beta 1 or beta 2 ?

maybe started on first alpha, then loaded on beta 2 ?

Attachments

• Next_Turns.7z
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
Well, after investigation, it may be related to France projects, but I don't know why it crash...

those games where started on v17 alpha 1 or alpha 2 ?

maybe started on first alpha, then loaded on alpha 2 ?

Started with Beta 2 from your post on 12/2/2012.
If will try the turns with the saves you attached.

those games where started on v17 beta 1 or beta 2 ?

maybe started on first alpha, then loaded on beta 2 ?

Yes, they both crash again after a few turn. I believe turn 60 and 37.
Do you want those two crashes as well?

nop, I've already got the first ones to work on, thanks.

@T_KCommanderbly : I'm wondering if the above bug may be linked to the fact that France and UK are teamed from the WB map, that's the only difference I'm thinking of with the 1939 European map where projects do not crash on teams...

Was it a test, or is it a mandatory component of your scenario ?

NOTE as the USA I was able to get to turn 143 without any crashes.
and do you have that one save perchance ?

edit : not needed anymore, don't bother.

@T_KCommanderbly : I'm wondering if the above bug may be linked to the fact that France and UK are teamed from the WB map, that's the only difference I'm thinking of with the 1939 European map where projects do not crash on teams...

Was it a test, or is it a mandatory component of your scenario ?

I think the reason I did it was because I had not edited the lua file yet so I quickly made them into a team through WB. So it shouldn't be mandatory.

On the 1936 scenario, I've crashed at turn 140 as Italy, I didn't catch what it was. The United Kingdom/France were researching projects fine they had achieved a couple however maybe it is a certain project causing this. I will try doing the team through the lua instead of the WB map, and see if I get a crash.

On the 1936 scenario, I've crashed at turn 140 as Italy, I didn't catch what it was. The United Kingdom/France were researching projects fine they had achieved a couple however maybe it is a certain project causing this. I will try doing the team through the lua instead of the WB map, and see if I get a crash.

Yes, I'm testing a game where they are not teamed at all.

On marceljv saves, the game was crashing each time France was finishing a project (tested with MB.152, D.520, and Attack Aircraft projects)

Still crashing as soon as I make them allied, even from the ingame function. Don't know why I didn't get the crash on the 1939 map...

Only fix I see for now is to make them not teamed at all. I may create a custom permanent alliance instead of the vanilla one later.

What that function will need most ?

reflect DoW, Peace Treaties, share vision, other things ?

Still crashing as soon as I make them allied, even from the ingame function. Don't know why I didn't get the crash on the 1939 map...

Only fix I see for now is to make them not teamed at all. I may create a custom permanent alliance instead of the vanilla one later.

What that function will need most ?

reflect DoW, Peace Treaties, share vision, other things ?

Ya, and have the same status with city states and maybe share the same score. And I don't know if the AI coordinates better with a teamed player. The biggest thing that would be needed in the 1936 scenario is sharing vision and permenant open borders.

I tried the scenario again as the Soviet Union and I got the same crash this time at turn 25, so it's deffinetly the teams/projects. Wish I could be of better help.

After a few test, I haven't found a way to enforce open borders on 2 civs... but I may be able to make open border last for hundreds if turns, ie make one at start of game, and let it last until the end...

Sharing vision, that I can make, but I may require a bit of time.

Also small report on features to come with next update that I'm debugging/testing right now :

- The AI will try to heal it's air, naval and land units when reaching HP thresholds (ie : won't attack for land and air unit, wont intercept or sweep for fighters, and go near close harbors for ships/subs, see below)

- Ships will be able to heal not only in the player cities, but also on adjacent plots of friendly cities with harbor, to help fleet management (and the AI, that will try to move it damaged ships near such cities)

- Fighters that are not required for interception missions will go on air sweep mission if needed.

- Some city-states will be linked with some majors civ. example : if Germany does an early DoW on Belgium, and were still at peace with France and UK, then both of them will DoW Germany. Linked CS will also follow peace treaties, and you won't be able to DoW them before the peace treaty is ended.

I'm not sure that I'll be able to add naval transportation and invasion for this WE, I may report v.17 final to next week as this is something I really want in.

Here's a little something I want to share here, that I'm sure some of you will put great hopes in, as I do :D

I had tested a few things for that so far, without success, but here's a small screen of my latest try, made just to see "what if I simply do that..." while I was thinking on how to implement naval transport and naval invasion, and the result of the test is :

Spoiler :
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

don't get too excited, it's only local (aka hotseat) and I need to code a new setup page, but anyway...

Spoiler :
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yep. :cooool:

But hot-seat (local multiplayer) only, AFAIK when launching a LAN or Internet multiplayer the game engine disable all mod on initialization.

Will be usefull not only to play against a human, but also to play a complete side (Allied vs Axis) in single player.

Yep. :cooool:

But hot-seat (local multiplayer) only, AFAIK when launching a LAN or Internet multiplayer the game engine disable all mod on initialization.

Will be usefull not only to play against a human, but also to play a complete side (Allied vs Axis) in single player.

very nice idea

Top Bottom