Issue with scenario converted from MGE

PlutonianEmpire

King of the Plutonian Empire
Hi there, I have an old scenario, which I had converted to ToT from MGE. It is a very heavily modified and expanded version of the WW79 scenario that came with MGE. Since I wanted to include additional maps, I went ahead and added the map transport relationships, and imported three maps, each representing new planets. The problem is, the unit that I assigned to be able to build the transport sites just won't build them. Everything seems correct, so I don't know if it is a bug in ToT or if there's something I'm just not seeing or taking into account. :undecide:

Any advice? :)

Attachments

• PlutoRising.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 62
Not a bug. The data from columns D, E and F in the @UNITS_ADVANCED table are only loaded by the game during the world-building phase, and ultimately saved to the SAV/SCN file. After this point, it matters not if edits are made to the table in rules.txt, these are never loaded by the game. The reason these values are saved to file is so that permanent changes to the transport relationships can be made using the Transport event action (see Macro.txt). Of course, an MGE scenario has no such values and thus the converted version contains nothing but zeroes. You can make changes to the table in the SAV/SCN file using two methods: 1. Create a temporary events file containing appropriate Transport events (ScenarioLoaded might be a good trigger to use). Load the scenario as a saved game. Save. Run Delevent on the file when you're done. 2. Hex editing.

Considering I've no clue how to hex edit, and I've already run Delevent on the necessary files (the scenario files and the setup .sav files), a temporary events.txt seems to be my best course of action.

And just to double check, do I need to have the events.txt set the values in the three wide columns for the units, or the actual map transport relationships, or both?

Do I need to run Delevent on the newly overwritten .scn file as well? Because every time I try, it (Delevent) crashes.

And just to double check, do I need to have the events.txt set the values in the three wide columns for the units, or the actual map transport relationships, or both?
Have you read Macro.txt? The Transport action sets values for the @UNITS_ADVANCED table (Unit [row], Mode [wide columns D, E and F], Type [flag number] and State [value, 0 or 1] parameters). The Type parameter refers to the row number in the @MAP_TRANSPORT_RELATIONSHIPS table. Changes to @MAP_TRANSPORT_RELATIONSHIPS in rules.txt are loaded by the game. It's best to finalise that table before proceeding with the Transport events.

Do I need to run Delevent on the newly overwritten .scn file as well? Because every time I try, it (Delevent) crashes.
Delevent is for the SAV file only. SCN files do not contain embedded events. That step is only important if you intend to continue development on the scenario using that saved game. The crashes (at least for the 32-bit version of Delevent) probably occur because the target file contains no events.

New question: I was reading up on the Barbarian Paper on the Scenario League Wiki, and it mentions that barbarian activity in ToT is slightly different than what is described on the page. How much different from MGE is it, or where may I be able to find info describing Barbarian Activity in Test of Time? I've been thinking of incorporating enhanced barbarian activity in this scenario, since the activity level is already set to Raging Hordes and I've got the three additional maps to play on. :)

Sorry, can't help you with that. I don't know enough about barbarian mechanics to compare the two and I don't know of any ToT-specific barbarian guides. I would've thought that the barbarian schedules for the Original game were the same as MGE. The Fantasy and Sci-Fi games are a different kettle of fish.

The two are really very similar. So similar, in fact, that the game only ever generates barbarians on map 0, never on secondary maps (except huts, of course). The only other difference I noted after a cursory investigation of the related functions is that the units generated for the Fantasy game are different. So the other game types are all the same as the Original game, and therefore, the same as MGE.

Bummer, lol. As for the Fantasy barbarians, I know some of them are created repeatedly by the events.txt, for all maps, but does the game itself also do that? Or are game-spawned barbs map-0-only like everywhere else?

Only map 0. This is hard-coded for all game types. The only way around that is, as you noted, by using events.

I renamed the Civilizations in this scenario, and applied the renaming to city.txt, but now none of the new cities founded have any names, just a blank space, when they worked just fine previously. I dunno what to do next, as my brain is just exhausted from both this project and just getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to even stay running for even remotely convenient lengths of time. :ack:

Edit: I double checked my rules.txt to make sure the appropriate tribes were matched to the names in the scenario and city.txt, because I was sure I already did, but it turns out I didn't. I made the the changes in rules.txt and the names show up now.

Top Bottom