Civ4 Beyond the Sword Patch v3.17 is out

This is exciting.

It depends on what kind of changes you made. If it was just XML ones, just repeat the changes in the updated files. Possibly clear the BTS cache as well: D&S/ADMIN/Local Settings/Application Data/My Games/"BTS"/cache

I did the shift while loading cache clearing trick, when it loads up it says its uncached. I don't have that file path leading to a cache folder in my D&S.

I also deleted my custom assets folder contents. May be I will just have me and my friend use that instead of a MOD. cause my custom ones were still showing after the upgrade

@balderstorm: thanks, but I am not talking abt 3.17 patched game opening a 3.13 save, I am talking abt 3.13 patched game opening up a 3.17 save. The reason why this question would arise is in SG (which I play exclusively nowadays), one player may need to patch while the other may need to remain unpatched. If a 3.13 game can open a 3.17 save, then there is no problem with a mixture of patched and unpatched players.

Hi

I have been coming here at least once a day for like MONTHS and I skip ONE day yesterday and THATS when they release the patch grrrrr.

I DL'ed it and started a lil game with it. The get that html "text" thingy too in a lot of menus and stuff but it doesnt seem to affect the game it just looks ugly. But hopefully that can be patched either officially or unofficially.

I do LOVE how gold scales on marathon. I played as ethiopia which started with scouts and those little guys racked up like 700 gold before I even got my first city out. It was like soo cool I upgraded my warriors as soon as BW was discovered and still had plenty of gold to run at 100% resrearch for a looong time. I am not 100% sure but it SEEMS like the potential min/max is like doubled at least and maybe even trippled.

I LOVED that they fixed destroyers so you can keep building em throughout game. Not so sure bout WHY they nerfed stealth destroyers though. I mean hardly anybody ever built them and horaded their regular destroyers cuz stealths were pretty much useless so thought sounds like a unit that needs buffing NOT nerfing :/.

I like that WW was lowered. I dont know how much yet since I have JUST started a war but it will be nice to be able to wage a long war before jails again without killing your economy from unhappy faces.

Not sure what this will mean for SoZ though. Someone posted how it doesnt seem to affect the AI at all now. I dont know if it is just the AI or it so innefective now that it is useless. On one hand it will be nice not having to spend time and hammers on it JUST so the AI wont get it. But on other hand its kinda lame having another wonder that is pointless to build period.

I do LOVE how now in diplomacy it tells you who a civs worst enemy is. Bug mod seems to work ok. BH's patch I am assuming at least the .ini part of his patch went puff when the installer updated game. Not sure how this will affect game in long wrong if not ALL of bug fixes he put in were put in with patch. It SEEMS to have at least ended the events he made for it. I will miss SOME of them but honestly it has been FUN being able to play in slavery and NOT have my cap go into revolt a billion frickin times hehe.

The global warming thingy I havent encountered yet. 99% of games I have played ended without nukes ever being used so I think in whole time I have been playing since back in vanilla maybe ONE time a tile changed from it.

Because of that it never bothered me since to avoid it just dont nuke anything. But now that pollution causes it too I am not sure. It's another one of those "what were they thinking kind of deals" I mean gw was like in top 2 or 3 list of most ppls MOST annoying feature so they now make it even harder to avoid? If it JUST clears forests and jungles fine but if it is like it checks to affect a tile and IF that tile has forest or jungle they get cleared BUT if they dont then it gets changed to desert it will get very annoying. ESPECIALLY if it works same way nukes did in that if some other civ used em YOU could be effected by GW not them so if some civ half way cross world is making polluted cites and NEVER building recycle centers and MY tiles are getting changed grrrrr.

I like how there say they put cap on how many seige units get flanked to death. I can build tons of cats/or other siege sometimes and HATED how one or two mounted units could pretty much kill em all. I think that good balance with now letting cur and cav affect trebs and cats.

Not letting siege get combat promos wont bother me TOO IF like they said barrage is fixed so that it is actually useful. However not having combat promotions does make using siege for attacking units not in cities even more suicidal since without it they pretty much guranteed to die now.

Not letting them attack from ships is a lil annoying since I think it will make amphib promos almost useless now. I mean even WITH defenses stripped away by ships if ai is even with you techwise and has like like fortified infantry in his cities marines aint gonna do much. So that means you gotta land siege to use em and if you gotta land siege to use em you gotta land units to protect the siege and if you gotta do that you might has well land your attackers and if they are being landed then amphib would be waste of promo so using combat/pinch/drill promoted infantry or infantry upgraded from CR promoted units would be better than marines at that point.

Vikings get it even worse since most times to get most out of em you are using em BEFORE frigates come on line so now they have NOTHING to deal with defenses and fortified defenders unless they land first which will negate usefullness of being amphib LOTS I think.

giving MGs anti air power is nice since it MAY mean I will build a few to defend stacks from annoying blimps. Giving them to anti tank seems kinda dumb though. Although I never liked anti tanks much as concept anyways since it just seems to negate germanys UU. I just deosnt make much sense to have a unit that can own other tanks but cant stand up to unarmored guys with bazookas if ANYTHING they should kill ant tanks even easier than other tanks. But oh wells.

So so far it seems to be mix of good and bad and "time will tell" stuff. I havent played whole game yet so no idea how many bugs got through this time but if that html thingy -something that SHOULD have been noticed if they had bothered to just load the game much less actually play it- is any indication not THAT much effort been made checking for glitches as usual :/.

Kaytie

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the no-combat-promo's for Siege... I've attached a GG to siege before - I know, definitely not the wisest thing - but it was FUN :)

I've been following this thread since it started, I still don't get what Global Warming does now, unless its just the "Remove Forest/Jungle" from a tile - if thats all it does, that seems a bit foolish.

Hi

I like that WW was lowered. I dont know how much yet since I have JUST started a war but it will be nice to be able to wage a long war before jails again without killing your economy from unhappy faces.

Not sure what this will mean for SoZ though. Someone posted how it doesnt seem to affect the AI at all now. I dont know if it is just the AI or it so innefective now that it is useless. On one hand it will be nice not having to spend time and hammers on it JUST so the AI wont get it. But on other hand its kinda lame having another wonder that is pointless to build period.

Kaytie

I'm playing a BtS 3.17 game, as far as I can tell WW is still alive, for IA too, it's just appears slower. Seems SoZ is still usefull... maybe even more. (Emperor diff)

Yeah I've been following this thread since it started, I still don't get what Global Warming does now, unless its just the "Remove Forest/Jungle" from a tile - if thats all it does, that seems a bit foolish.

Just to see what it does I went to the world builder and gave myself 50 nukes and used them. The global warming seems to work as before, i.e. it turns a tile into a desert, except now if a tile has a forest or a jungle, these are removed first, then the global warming will have to hit the same tile again for it to turn into a desert.

As for how the unhealthyness causes global warming, I don't know. I my last game I got 1 or 2 tiles turned into desert due to global warming by 1980 (no nukes this time). If I recall correctly before 3.17 the GW would start sometime after year 2000 or so, can't be sure haven't played the game that lasted that long for a long time now. So now it seems that GW just happens earlier. Firaxis probably decided to do that so that GW has greater effect on the game play, because before people rarelly encountered it, unless there was a nuclear war.

Cool thanks :) Good to know. Suppose I *could* have done that. I just usually have my current game loaded almost all the time these days, play a few turns when I get a chance and send it back to the background.

So so far it seems to be mix of good and bad and "time will tell" stuff. I havent played whole game yet so no idea how many bugs got through this time but if that html thingy -something that SHOULD have been noticed if they had bothered to just load the game much less actually play it- is any indication not THAT much effort been made checking for glitches as usual :/.

Kaytie

Kaytie, in all fairness, the html thingy you describe is probably caused by a conflict with a mod. That's not Firaxis' fault necessarily. Try unloading BUG and see if you still get it.

Added "No Espionage" game option
Withdrawing units get unselected from their selection group
- just like they get unselected if they win and cannot advance
Espionage ratio for humans displayed in score tooltip
Fixed city Healthy/Unhealthy bonus display (events)
No messages about empire splits of players you have not yet met
Globe layer sub-options saved in user profile
Liberate city nag no longer occurs twice for the same city in the same session
City advisor nags do not occur when city is in disorder
Advanced start: All team starting plot locations indicated with red circles
- any team member can use any starting plot
Players get an announcement when a Defensive Pact is signed
Added stationary spy discount mouseover
Added popup for when spaceship mission fails
Added some extra mouseover information to diplomacy screen
Fixed main interface to correctly fit all advisor buttons on the right
MapRandSeed = 1 has no effect in multiplayer games
Cleaned up debug menu
Can't exit to main menu after having used the debug menu (Ctrl-D)
- Prevents multiplayer cheats, as well as possible hangs and crashes
Mods read previous game options from .ini unless they have the ForceGameOptions = 1 in their own mod .ini
Removed some unused code (SDK)
Added tectonics map script (thanks LDiCesare)
Added Earth2 map script (thanks GRM7584)
Added RandomScriptMap map script (thanks Refar)
Added three new options to Team Battleground map script (thanks ruff_hi)
Exposed some trade screen functionality to the SDK
Added ability for AI Diplomacy screen to display icons in the text
WorldBuilder saves named units
Fixed XML read issue (for mods)
Added a faster file enumeration method for modular XML loading (unused)
Removed inlined code from CvXMLLoadUtility (inlining breaks DLL mods)
Added ability for mods to specify minimum version (MIN_VERSION in GlobalDefines.xml)
Unit graphic on main interface updates when unit art changes (mods)
Aded Python wrapper function: CyPlot::setOwnerNoUnitCheck.
Added Mesoamerica Mod

This was just too awesome. I'm downloading the patch as soon as I get home. :)

"Replaced regular bomber images with B-52 by Snafusmith."

So the B-52 is a nice model, but I much prefer the original bomber art. Can someone show me how to edit it back for Next War mod? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't get it. Following that link doesn't answer the question have you modified the patch to fix this error or what do you mean by "fixed"?

Thanks,

The post that Solver linked to has a python file attached. Presumably the idea is to replace the existing cvinfoscreen python file after backing up the existing file. I assume that cvinfoscreen.py checks whether or not 'No Espionage' is enabled to decide whether to show the other civ's graphs but I haven't checked this.

i am using a Direct2Drive version, and downloaded the patch from Direct2Drive, and when I run the patch it says it successfully installed it, but it simply DOES NOTHING. My version stays as 3.13.

3.13 saves load in 3.17

not for me, apparently. if i try and load any previous games the program instantly crashes, so quickly i can only barely make out the error message--something about "failed to uncompress..." or some such. if i start a new game in 3.17 and then save it will load fine, but as i was only 30 turns from winning my last 3.13 one i was sort of hoping for closure...

Top Bottom