Hearts of Iron 3

RedRalph

Deity
Anyone else getting excited about this game? I only recently got HoI2, its great, cant wait for the new version...

Anyone else getting excited about this game? I only recently got HoI2, its great, cant wait for the new version...

The graphics look terrible but the 10,000 provinces sound nice. I wish they would stop with the 3D until they can actually make it look nice and function. 2D maps are fine and honestly look way nicer.

That screenshot looks good. I like that, and it is perhaps the only thing I like so far.

I don't have great hopes for it. The 3D engine looks awful, and I can't believe that they'll be able to cook up an AI that can handle 10,000 provinces in any sort of sensible way.

Not a fan of the thousands of provinces approach (the minute level of control is IMHO not appropriate for a grand strategy game) but otherwise it looks good. I'll probably buy it, especially since the HoI2 map was so fugly. :p

yeah , 10000 might be a bit to much.

I don't see how 10,000 provinces is excessive, the problem I have in most games is that they are way to freaking small or have excessively large provinces (cough total war rome and m2 cough). I'm sure the AI will have no problem, seeing as how it is unlikely to have to deal with even 6000 of the provinces.

I don't see how 10,000 provinces is excessive, the problem I have in most games is that they are way to freaking small or have excessively large provinces (cough total war rome and m2 cough).
Play one of the mods, then. I recommend Europa Barbarorum. :D Besides, how are RTW provinces too big? They seem just fine to me, and a reasonably accurate model.
PrinceScamp said:
I'm sure the AI will have no problem, seeing as how it is unlikely to have to deal with even 6000 of the provinces.
My fundamental problem is that it changes the focus of the game. Paradox games have not been about tactical control of units, ever. Good operational timing can have excellent results - see, for example, Kanitatlan's immortal SU and Nazi WCs - but he never maneuvered units on such a small scale. It doesn't make sense for the same person to be in charge of the national industry and diplomacy...and also be able to micromanage events on the front to an unprecedented scale. It feels less realistic in many ways than HoI or Vicky ever did: when did FDR exercise such exact control over military units? Did Stalin maintain a tight control over the entirety of any one front?

Anyway, this just makes the game feel wrong to me, that's all. Like I said, I don't see a problem in implementation.

You are not really the leader of your nation, that's some guy. You're the collective ruling body from the battalion commander to the ruling elite. At least, that's how I view myself.

AndI find the provinces too big because, well, some of them are poorly shaped or nonconforming to the landshape and once you have taken a patheticly small amount of provinces you're half-way across europe! And I do/did play mods.

I suspect the province system will be handled differently than in HoI2, given the utterly gigantic complexity of managing so many. Maybe for purposes of things like IC, oil productions, infrastructure etc each group of provinces (as you see in the dev diaries, they are only broken down to tiny provinces when you scroll in very close) is counted as one, but for warfare they are counted individually.

The alliance system looks good, I just wish the timeframe was expanded, ideally from about 1925-1950

While I think Paradox makes excellent games, Im getting more and more pissed on the way people are censored on their forum and the way they are trying to present a clean, unbloody WW2. No talk about holocaust, POW camps, atrocities, strategic bombing, civilian suffering and the casualties of war are allowed, and are not mentioned in the game. :(

They seem to want to present a revionist WW2 similar to heroic WW2 movies of the 60s and 70s, and I think it is a disgrace to all the people that died and suffered horribly in this terrible war that you just make entertainment out of it and just delete the uncomfortable parts. :mad::mad:

Still, HoI2 is one of the best games ever, so I still support it, even though I hate the policy around it... :blush:

Strategic bombing is included in HoI3. I know what you mean, but none of that really takes away form the gameplay. I mean, how would you implement the holocaust in the game?

Strategic bombing is included in HoI3. I know what you mean, but none of that really takes away form the gameplay. I mean, how would you implement the holocaust in the game?

I don´t think it should be included as a game option of course, but talking about in the forum should be allowed and I think the game could open with a disclaimer about what not is included and why...

I don´t think it should be included as a game option of course, but talking about in the forum should be allowed and I think the game could open with a disclaimer about what not is included and why...

Yeah I agree with that...

HOI was probably the last series of Paradox games that needed an overhaul, IMO.

Well TBH I would have prefered Vicky2 but whos to say thats not in the works

Top Bottom