Anyone have their GOTM16 game freeze?

alamo

bang!
I was happily playing my first GOTM game when I get stuck
with the game freeze problem.

The game proceeds as usual until something happens during the AI turn phase and the game just freezes.

Has this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me on occasion before PTW and I would just reload and do something to alter the RNG. This worked most of the time.

I have been playing PTW freeze-free since it came out, so I forgot about this problem untill it killed my first GOTM. :(

The game also crashed one time before, but I was able to recover w/o loosing more than a few peaceful turns.

Should I jigger with the game or just trash it? I wrote a large log - seems like a waste to drop it now.
:confused:

Are you playing PTW version or civ 1.29?

You are not supposed to be playing with PTW version for GOTM until next month. This could be part of the problem.

I also had crashes, and even sent Cracker info about them.

He could not replicate it, but mine was using stack movement to cities at the southern edge of the map.

I'm pretty sure the problems are caused by the added tiles next to the poles. The city screens of cities near the poles are weird, showing things that aren't there.

alamo,

You need to provide more specific information about this problem to prevent the community guessig on what is the cause. When a game crashes the previous turn's auto save should be permanently saved. If the problem is recreatable then contact the game sponser (Cracker in this case) with the details.

Some questions have been raised regarding pole cities. In my game they have not caused a crash even if the graphics may not be standard.

I hope you have been able to continue and can provide a submission.

My game froze once. It was while I was at the military advisor screen. I think it is my computer and not the save because I tried to make it freeze again but I couldn't.

I had a few problems in the beginning of the game with the city screen. Two times my computer frooze after entering the city screen. Somehow I seemed to get rid of the problem during the game.

Hi there,

it also freezes for me several times, when I played it with CivIII 1.29f with squids ... than I loaded it to PTW and all worked fine, no squids, even I copied the art files to the correct location.

I even finished the game, but I think I wasn't good, finished it around 1989 with a spacevictory ...

So I had to play it with PTW to finish it ...

ALEX

Tsar ALexander, using PTW is not a recommended approach so I want to emphasize to all other players that this should not be done. There may be other difficulties associated with your installation and configuration that need to be addressed.

DO NOT USE PTW for Gotm16. It is inconsiderate and creates disruption for no valid reason. - cracker

@Dimy - Your quote belongs to
General Patton

My game was freezing at the end of my 1798 turn I reloaded twice and it froze at the same point. I finally gave it up because I wasn't sure if i should submit anyway. I had a questionable reload to stop a disorder for my great library.

I was about 5 turns from spaceship victory, but now I don't have the moral reload dilema.

My game froze once when one of the AI's was using a bomber to try to pillage terrain on one of the norhtern extreme land tiles (the ones that are never there on a random game). I simply had to move a unit to that tile, and the bomber bombed elsewhere, which then did not result in a lockup.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

It looks like there are a few bugs in 1.29 still, and they're not going to be fixed.

I'll probably just drop this GOTM. I was never going to be near the top anyway.

The next civ game needs a logging feature so that bug reports and GOTM submissions are not such a pain.

Near the top? I will probably never be near the top, but from now on I will still continue to play gotm, because it is really fun.

I haven't had this game freeze on me, so far. I have an older machine (AMD K6-2 cpu, 350 MHz), and I've found that it gets a bit testy later in the game when there are a lot of units and cities in the game.

I ALWAYS reboot prior to playing a session (this cleans up memory, and tends to make things more stable), and if anything interesting happens (I get a GL, e.g.), I save immediately, just in case.

I've also noticed that during the QSC period, when I've got a spreadsheet and WordPad open in addition to Civ3, full control is not always passed back to the game when using the Alt-Tab key sequence. Sometimes I'll have to bring up the MicroSoft controlbar and select the Civ3 program to restore full control. (Hence my quote below :lol: )

Coincidently, last night a CIV game (not GOTM16, but Tourney 4_1) “self exited” ie. One second chugging away with the in-between turn stuff, the next no game!

This I know is memory related, as is a common problem with my poor laptop. My home computer is reserved for GOTM and PTW games.

As civ_steve has indicated, CIV3 is a resource hungry game. Don’t be deceived by it being turn based rather than first person. It is recommended that all unnecessary applications be closed down prior to loading the game.
:scan:

EDIT: Time to change my signature quote.

I've had more than a fair share of crashes. In fact I moved my game from my desktop to my laptop (fresh install but still had a couple of unhelpful MS "This application has terminated unexpectedly" messages.

Mind you, I haven't played Civ this intensively before :)

Ted

I had 1 GOTM crash between turns. A popup window informed me that CIV would have to exit and that the people at windows were very sorry for the inconvience.:lol: But after I closed that window, my game came back. So I saved, closed and started over. Nothing lost. I like my new Dell with windows XP!

I do have another glitch though. I build a town on the hill at the very bottom of the map below Rome. The one out on a penisula by itself, east of the tundra. Every time I try to go to the city view, the map in the city view zooms to some other area. I can't micromanage because I can't click on the tiles to work or the citizens to make them into entertainers/scientists/taxmen. I've resorted to letting the governor manage the happiness. Very strange. I'm guessing it's because there aren't enough tiles around the city to display the entire area.

Top Bottom