Tradition's 4 cities opening

I'm practicing this on Emperor. It seems my biggest problem is that my archers take so damn long to build. I reach construction before I've had a chance to build all my archers. Especially in my 2nd city and 3rd city, it takes forever to build he archers.

I had the same issue on epic speed. Just tech elsewhere in the tree until you are satisfied that you archers will be finished and then tech Construction. At my slow paced games, I tech to Philosophy then swing back to Construction.

I had the same issue on epic speed. Just tech elsewhere in the tree until you are satisfied that you archers will be finished and then tech Construction. At my slow paced games, I tech to Philosophy then swing back to Construction.

I did this too. I kept my Construction on 1 turn left until the Askia DOWed on me.

That makes sense. I was just concerned about getting my defenses up and running quicker, whether that's archers or CB. As you know, then AI tends to not like 4 cities that fast.

I'm practicing this on Emperor. It seems my biggest problem is that my archers take so damn long to build. I reach construction before I've had a chance to build all my archers. Especially in my 2nd city and 3rd city, it takes forever to build he archers.

just purchase several... or at least delay construction by a few turns (switch tech research) if you are close to completing the building of an archer or two...

just purchase several... or at least delay construction by a few turns (switch tech research) if you are close to completing the building of an archer or two...

If you are gonna buy them just buy comp bows - don't buy them upgrade...

yeah, that is why it is cheaper to buy and archer and then upgrade that archer... kinda like buying a warrior, then upgrading the warrior instead of just buying a swordsman...

This really helped me on my first pangea win on diety. And whenever you think about getting something instead of archers early on, just freaking get them.

This really helped me on my first pangea win on diety.

:goodjob:

At deity, sometimes it's better to stay at 3 cities and keep 500 :c5gold: for more archers/CBs especially if you have to face potential DoWs from multiple civs around. In fact this is probably better if you really want to get an AI capital for your 4th city.

If you stay at 3 cities, build NC and settle a 4th one after. The Tradition finisher will make this city almost as large as the others in a short period of time.

And whenever you think about getting something instead of archers early on, just freaking get them.

Indeed, but easier said than done. Was playing diety OCC (trying for a science win) and literally only had 1 luxury that I could sell in my city radius all game. No horses or iron either. It made for a very cash strapped game.

I gotta do better with this. Got four cities by turn 50, but got the teching part all screwed up. Plus my Wonderlust is rearing its ugly head too much :(

I ended up having a high-pop city without production. If only specializing cities were as good here as it was in Civ 4 :) That city I settled because of the presence of Uluru. I found Wine in its third ring only after I managed to settle the city.

I got the NC at around turn 110 while buying two libraries :( This was Emperor, btw.

Will try again tomorrow. I think what slowed me down is my NOT settling on luxes.

Playing on Emperor, the single adjustment I've made to OP start is to build shrines right away outside the capital. The capital builds as Tabarnak prescribes, with one extra archer tacked on at the end. That has been enough for me to defend myself in every game so far.

Playing on Emperor, the single adjustment I've made to OP start is to build shrines right away outside the capital. The capital builds as Tabarnak prescribes, with one extra archer tacked on at the end. That has been enough for me to defend myself in every game so far.

I agree. Its worth it to shoot for a Pantheon, at least. So, make a shrine your second or third (probably second) build in the cap. But, you have to open with Pottery. With a scout out searching, you can find some religious CS and this will help you get the pantheon faster.

Don't worry, you can survive if you do this. I've been doing it all week on diety OCC.

What turn should we expect to have the National College completed? I tried settling a fourth city but the library took so long in that city (should've just bought it instead) that the NC become super-delayed and my tech became really slow. Ethiopia then dow'd me and he had swords and pikes (well, one pikeman) before I even got my iron hooked up. I knew that I would be at war with Ethiopia, so would it have been better to delay the fourth city and save the money/production for units and a faster NC? BTW, this was as Sweden on my first immortal game, which was pretty much a failure, since Ethiopia took one of my cities and I could not found a religion.

Speaking of religion, how often does this strategy result in a religion? I wanted to get a religion to spam great prophets to convert City States for papal primacy and then gift the prophets for influence, but even though I got shrines right after archers as advised here, the AIs were too fast. I guess I'm not quite ready for immortal yet. I think I'll try to master emperor first.

If you go for CBs first expect to build the NC between turn 85 and 95. If you don't you should be able to finish it between 80 and 85. Try a 3 cities set-up if you think that a 4th city will be settled too late(like post turn 55) or stay too low in production to finish it in time.

You can win without religion at immortal+ If I start near a bunch of civs I never bother. Secluded location, faith wonder or playing Ethiopia and I can give it a shot for short term purposes. (like temporary happiness boost, before I meet mercantiles) At emperor it can really make a difference. Doubt that wasting GPs in such way is optimal. You would want a bunch of scientists or artists for your victory condition to happen faster. I would use cash instead.

You can win without religion at immortal+ If I start near a bunch of civs I never bother. Secluded location, faith wonder or playing Ethiopia and I can give it a shot for short term purposes. (like temporary happiness boost, before I meet mercantiles) At emperor it can really make a difference. Doubt that wasting GPs in such way is optimal. You would want a bunch of scientists or artists for your victory condition to happen faster. I would use cash instead.

Of course, scientists to get to Globalization makes sense, but I wanted to make the most use of Sweden's UA. If you can spread religion for papal primacy AND gift prophets with one use left, it would not be as much of a "waste", as you get multiple things out of it. So would you suggest that Sweden's UA (the gifting for influence part) is entirely useless then, or when you say "artists" did you mean I should gift great artists instead? I think I would prefer golden ages to fill out my policies faster...

@Tabarnak: Okay, thanks. I'll try the three city thing next time. So, as for the CBs, I should get them if I start near another civ and think I'm gonna be dow'd? When should I NOT go for CBs?

Of course, scientists to get to Globalization makes sense, but I wanted to make the most use of Sweden's UA. If you can spread religion for papal primacy AND gift prophets with one use left, it would not be as much of a "waste", as you get multiple things out of it. So would you suggest that Sweden's UA (the gifting for influence part) is entirely useless then, or when you say "artists" did you mean I should gift great artists instead? I think I would prefer golden ages to fill out my policies faster...

I mean that concentrating on faith too much won't give you the best result. (at higher levels especially) But i agree it is fun to test out Sweden's UA and the strategy you came up with is creative. (Yes, you Can gift prophets, which were already used in religious spreading).

Faith is actually pretty key for fastest science victories
You can buy a GE via Order and rush the Hubble plus buy another GS. That's 3 GS and free space factory from 2000 faith...

Top Bottom