Pre-Preview: Another Solar System Scenario

DanielF

Chieftain
Here's a "Pre-Preview" of my first major scenario. I just started working on it yesterday, but I decided to post it in case anyone has ideas or comments. ;)

It's another space game, but instead of each tile representing a planet, the terrain represents the planets and water represents space and atmosphere. (I know it's been done and doesn't seem to be too popular, but maybe this scenario will change that :D)

Here's a picture of earth: I'm using marsh to represent ocean, but since there's no way to make boats travel only on marshes (without other units to be able to) I won't be able to include them. :undecide: So instead I've connected the continents with railroads, kinda like in Risk. I highlighted the connections in the picture.

(Don't mind the sloppy looking graphics, I'm still working on that. ;) Also for gameplay reasons, the moon has an atomosphere. :mischief: )
The huge map will include the Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, and maybe Mercury.

The scenario will start either during the cold war or some time in the future.

I haven't decided much about the gameplay yet (units, victory, etc.), but it's going to start out as a race to the moon, then to the other planets. I think I'm going to do is set up a wonder victory and each wonder requires a resource found on another planet.

Any comments, suggestions, and ideas (civs, starting time period) are welcome.

DanielF said:
Here's a "Pre-Preview" of my first major scenario. I just started working on it yesterday, but I decided to post it in case anyone has ideas or comments. ;)

It's another space game, but instead of each tile representing a planet, the terrain represents the planets and water represents space and atmosphere. (I know it's been done and doesn't seem to be too popular, but maybe this scenario will change that :D)

Here's a picture of earth: I'm using marsh to represent ocean, but since there's no way to make boats travel only on marshes (without other units to be able to) I won't be able to include them. :undecide: So instead I've connected the continents with railroads, kinda like in Risk. I highlighted the connections in the picture.

(Don't mind the sloppy looking graphics, I'm still working on that. ;) Also for gameplay reasons, the moon has an atomosphere. :mischief: )
The huge map will include the Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus, and maybe Mercury.

The scenario will start either during the cold war or some time in the future.

I haven't decided much about the gameplay yet (units, victory, etc.), but it's going to start out as a race to the moon, then to the other planets. I think I'm going to do is set up a wonder victory and each wonder requires a resource found on another planet.

Any comments, suggestions, and ideas (civs, starting time period) are welcome.

very cool except one problem, Europeans have no way of getting to space.

great idea, never seen this twist. keep up the good work and the map so far looks good.

I would say it'd be worth it to cut out Venus and Mercury, and make it Earth, Luna, Mars, and the Asteroid Belt. Venus is quite frankly beyond human use for quite a long time, Mercury just as much so.

The Asteroid Belt wouldn't require much detail and would enable more accurate representations of the planets than what you've currently got. I'm going to assume something like this would be used for at least the "seas" of space.

Sounds good, but in order for the terrestrial powers to work well I simply think Earth would have to be bigger than it looks there (it is, after all, quite a good bit larger than Mars or the Moon, and accurate distance isn't important at all as that can be adjusted through movement costs).

Thx for the replies everyone.

Europeans have no way of getting to space.
That's what Scandinavia's for. The real problem about a lack of land capable of space flight :)D) is with Africa. With the map as it is now, the Africans would have to take land in order to get into space. I'll have to find a way around that. Maybe I'll extend Africa a little farther south like I did with South America.

I would say it'd be worth it to cut out Venus and Mercury, and make it Earth, Luna, Mars, and the Asteroid Belt. Venus is quite frankly beyond human use for quite a long time, Mercury just as much so.
That's true. I think that would make for a better scenario. It's more realistic that way too. :lol:

I'm going to assume something like this would be used for at least the "seas" of space.
I haven't decided yet about how I'm going to deal with the seas. I personally wouldn't mind leaving them that color, but I know that most ppl would rather have it different. ;) So, I'll probably change it to look more like the star wars terrain. (I didn't use that because I wanted my sky to look like a sunny day, but that one looks more like dusk.)

I also think I'll make the Earth map bigger. I'm not too happy with the way Europe and Asia turned out anyway. ;)

Top Bottom