Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

Yes, I have thought about changing it. There are several other names that could be adjusted (Joan of Arc from a prophet to a general, Constantine from a general to a prophet?) but I just haven't done it yet. This mod needs to be updated enormously. ;)

Edit: Now fixed in latest version.

Achmed, I stand corrected. I'll admit that going through the American educational system (which needs fixed badly) is why I was under the impression that he did his work in America. That's the way the textbooks made it sound, and I was always more predisposed to the war proper's history:)

I also just looked at the first post in this thread to make the distinction between GE and GS and I belive van Leenwoek(sp, I belive you'll know who I'm referring to) should be a GS instead of a GE - he was one of the first people to study cells.

I am currently trying to update this mod to a Python system. This will eliminate the need for all the extra XML files and UU's, replacing it with a name-change-upon-birth system. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work right now.

This mod had UU's?

Yes. It works by giving each civ a UU for every Great Person, which unfortunately leads to 120 extra units just to get the unique names...

The problem with the new python system is that, although the renaming mechanism works, the event log only shows "Great [] has been born in []!" instead of "Isaac Newton has been born in []!" So you don't get to see names of any other civs' GP, only your own.

I am currently trying to find a way around this.

Latest update from the name-gathering endeavor...

I used Medieval German and post-Charlemagne Frankish names for the HRE, but the overlap with the German civ is obvious--most names are German. Because of this, I limited it to the time before Frederick the Great to try to keep Germany and the HRE separate. Khmer also has a few names from modern Cambodia and Thailand (the areas the Khmer Empire controlled in its heyday). Ethiopia is pretty straightforward, although slightly weighted toward modern names. As always, suggestions to improve the list are welcome.

EDIT: Old list removed due to it being obsolete.

I used Medieval German and post-Charlemagne Frankish names for the HRE, but the overlap with the German civ is obvious--most names are German. Because of this, I limited it to the time before Frederick the Great to try to keep Germany and the HRE separate. Khmer also has a few names from modern Cambodia and Thailand (the areas the Khmer Empire controlled in its heyday). Ethiopia is pretty straightforward, although slightly weighted toward modern names. As always, suggestions to improve the list are welcome.

What about the modern "Holy Roman Empire" Great People? :) German?

I am pleased to announce that I have finished my first mod for BtS (and as far as I can tell, the first mod for BtS period :D), an updated Civ-Specific Great People.

Note that I have not had time to test this yet, nor I have not implemented the Great General fix yet (I don't even know if that will be an issue in BtS), nor have I gotten rid of the extra pedia entries. This will come in time.

I would appreciate it very much if someone would test this and see if it works. It is more than likely that there is a bug in the files, but if so please report it (give me the exact line in the error message) and I will fix it posthaste.

Attachments

• Civ-Specific Great People BtS.zip
    108 KB · Views: 289
I am pleased to announce that I have finished my first mod for BtS (and as far as I can tell, the first mod for BtS period :D), an updated Civ-Specific Great People.

Note that I have not had time to test this yet, nor I have not implemented the Great General fix yet (I don't even know if that will be an issue in BtS), nor have I gotten rid of the extra pedia entires. This will come in time.

I would appreciate it very much if someone would test this and see if it works. It is more than likely that there is a bug in the files, but if so please report it (give me the exact line in the error message) and I will fix it posthaste.
Good to see BtS version! Will test it right away!

Ok, I've got a problem, the game (BtS) when I try to run it with the mod displays the following message:
Code:
Tag: UNIT_AMERICAN_GENERAL in Info class was incorrect
and then it follows for all other civilizations

Ok, I've got a problem, the game (BtS) when I try to run it with the mod displays the following message:
Code:
Tag: UNIT_AMERICAN_GENERAL in Info class was incorrect
and then it follows for all other civilizations

Fixed now. Very small mistake on my part. ( I hate converting. :lol: )

The mod starts now, but I have yet another problem to report, when one hovers over the techs name in the tooltip that appears there is info "can be researched by a Great..." With the mod this line appears many times (cluttering the screen).

Yes, that will be that way until I implement the bGraphicalOnly fix. Just a few more days... ;)
Good to hear. And, of course, don't rush! BTW it's a pity they did not include this mod in BtS. It's a really strange feeling getting as Babilonia general Erwin Rommel:)

Do you have an updated list for the BtS civilizations, GaiusOctavius?

Don't rush or go out of your way to make a list, but if you have one, I for one would definitely like to see it.. It's Michiel de Ruyter year here in the Netherlands, after we had the Rembrandt year last year, so you can bet I'll check to see if they're included.. :D

Top Bottom