Civ Illustrated #1 (Know Your Enemy)

I meant Civ Illustrated thread (mainly Kaitzilla's work). I did give my score. Perhaps, that will attract newcoming players. You see, some people judge by score. :sad:

Ok, you mean "rate this thread". I rarely do that and almost always ignore thread ratings. After reading a few posts it is generally easy to tell whether further perusal is warranted.

Sun Tzu Wu

Basically for a player that is vassal and has the vassal treaty in their balance (i.e. a capitulee or peacevassal),
if the vassal attitude is lower or equal to <VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold> (an XML value in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml and the same used for peacevassal!!!!) AND not already at war (well duh!) AND the master does not have some defensive pact, then comes some calculi equivalent to normal demands.
BUT if you have at least one defensive pact, or have better relationship than <VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold> , then resources are always granted!!!!
Peacevassals have an automatic FRIENDLY stance mechanics just to avoid refusal btw.

@Kaitzilla

Let's test our friendship. (Irony of my latest work)

I demand you to add close border XML values, <VassalRefuseAttitudeThreshold> (that is adding a line below "Will possibly peace vassal to human player: Friendly" about demanding resources from vassal for same attitude is risk-free) and corrections for "shared your technological discoveries with us".

If refused, we enter a war state of eternal râleries... :groucho:

Sure, I'll add the threshold for safely making demands to vassals and the "shared your technological discoveries with us" fixes soon.

I'm not as sure about the border tensions info. Would players settle in different places if they knew some AI's were likely to give diplo penalties for settling close to their borders and others wouldn't? :hmm:

Also add a general note that getting a defense pact dissuades the angry vassal to DoW lest to manage two wars at once. Although I admit stupid averaging of attitude makes defense pacts harder, some AI's don't require much attitude. Like Cyrus.

I haven't tested, but on paper, with some temporary defense pact, one can abuse demands. Hehe.
Finally some actual good trick from codes.

Agreed on the close borders.

I'm not as sure about the border tensions info. Would players settle in different places if they knew some AI's were likely to give diplo penalties for settling close to their borders and others wouldn't? :hmm:

Sure, I'd settle next to an AI that doesn't care much about border tensions than one that freaks out over it, even when all other things aren't exactly even.

Sun Tzu Wu

It would also matter to me when I try to setup certain kind of games.

btw, thanks for an amazing guide.

It would also matter to me when I try to setup certain kind of games.

btw, thanks for an amazing guide.

Heh, SGOTM16 has been sucking up all my time :crazyeye:
This guide is certainly helping as a reference :)

Yes, with that kind of interest from people, will put it into the guide for the 52 leaders this week.

Thinking in the diplo section, under the negative religion bonus.
Border Tensions: Up to -4 Relations

Something like that. Then calculate all the various thresholds for the civs who max out at -1,-2,-3,-4 and test them in some test games. Put that in the explanation part at the beginning of the guide. Like, a -4 civ will get -1 at being a valid land target, -2 at 15 stolen tiles, -3 at 29 stolen tiles, etc.

... for example Ramesses II ...
Thinking in the diplo section, under the negative religion bonus.
Border Tensions: Up to -4 Relations

Something like that. Then calculate all the various thresholds for the civs who max out at -1,-2,-3,-4 and test them in some test games. Put that in the explanation part at the beginning of the guide. Like, a -4 civ will get -1 at being a valid land target, -2 at 15 stolen tiles, -3 at 29 stolen tiles, etc.

Sounds great! Thanks!

Sun Tzu Wu

Is there a second edition in the works?

Is there a second edition in the works?

Not at the moment since most of the people play SGOTM. After that, maybe something will happen. Although Seraiel started the whole thing, people who did the most of the job, especially Kaitzilla, are still around so there are hopes for the future.:)

Hey gang. So I'm trying to use the guide. I've always used the .pdf from dj anion or the spreadsheets. I like to be able to, for example, quickly find all the leaders that love Organized Religion. Right now, I'm specifically looking to study leaders' Favorite Improvements. This is a new trait I've never considered. What would be the correct way to find all leaders that prefer farms for example?

Hey gang. So I'm trying to use the guide. I've always used the .pdf from dj anion or the spreadsheets. I like to be able to, for example, quickly find all the leaders that love Organized Religion. Right now, I'm specifically looking to study leaders' Favorite Improvements. This is a new trait I've never considered. What would be the correct way to find all leaders that prefer farms for example?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9030955&postcount=11

DanF's complete AI XML values spreadsheet

Spoiler :

Have fun with the evil incas.

Thx Tachy, but like I said, I'm familiar with the spreadsheets, etc. I was wondering how to effectively use this new guide. (or maybe I'm passive-aggressively suggesting this guide might need to be exported into a more searchable, filterable format.)

Thx Tachy, but like I said, I'm familiar with the spreadsheets, etc. I was wondering how to effectively use this new guide. (or maybe I'm passive-aggressively suggesting this guide might need to be exported into a more searchable, filterable format.)

Just click on the leader link on the front page, and you will see all the most important info about them instantly :D

Simply looking at Mehmed for 60 seconds will remind you that he is a warlike civ.
He's got cheap Lighthouses,Courthouses,Granaries,and Workers, so his infrastructure will be pretty solid.
He's a bad trading partner who builds an unreal amount of units and tends to tech military techs.
Not particularly demanding.
He considers heathens and shared religion to be a big deal, and you are safe if you get him to Pleased.
And he likes vassalage(+2XP) to go with his Janissaries, so watch out once he has Guilds and starts on Gunpowder.

With this guide you can quickly form a long term strategy for dealing with him that will most likely be effective instead of melting your brain decoding spreadsheets.

Now if you are designing a game and hand picking opponents to be in it based off their traits, then this guide isn't very good for that since it's not sortable.
You'll want to spend extra time sorting through the DanF spreadsheet. Favorite tile improvements are on the far right side.

Gnnn, I need to get back to work on this guide. Still things left to do. :crazyeye:

Hi again. I have another comment. Sorry to be critical of the guide, but I was initially on the team too, and I want to help make it better (and useful to me ;)

This time I was looking at whom to select as opponents if I want them to capitulate or if they'd be good to steal workers from. i.e. DeGaulle. (again I found myself hoping for a sortable way to see all of the AI with low ResistsCapitulation values, but that was my last request, so I'm not here to :deadhorse:.)

Good thing: It was easy to find the well-written intro that described ResistsCapitulation. It was very good at informing me that this guide does not have the information I seek. RefusesToTalk seems like a very important omission.

I guess you better hurry since it is said next SGOTM will be up in days.

As for searchability. I do not think that should be the focus of the guide. For that I find the excel sheet very nice. You could just sort/filter on columns. This guide I think is great to look at the leaders you find are in your game and make a strategy based on that.

Good point. I'll stop with the searchability requests. The guide does what it does well. I'd like to see RefusesToTalk added tho.

P.S. I hope you're joking about the next SGotM.

I'm at 12 visible diplomacy with Ragnar and Friendly, yet the Defensive Pact item is redded out with the bubble "We don't like you enough". The guide says he will enter into a Defensive Pact at Friendly, yet see the attached screen shot which contradicts the guide's statement.

Sun Tzu Wu

I'm at 12 visible diplomacy with Ragnar and Friendly, yet the Defensive Pact item is redded out with the bubble "We don't like you enough". The guide says he will enter into a Defensive Pact at Friendly, yet see the attached screen shot which contradicts the guide's statement.

Sun Tzu Wu

Probably because you have a vassal. Ragnar will combine his feelings for you and the vassal civ.

Top Bottom