Road to War-what's the point

m9x

Warlord
I certainly don't mean to bash this mod or the work that's put into it, but this mod just doesn't seem...good.

for one thing, that the leaders are re-skinned and adjusted is a nice feature, but..they suck. the same model is used for more than one leader. furthermore sid meier is even used. I don't know about you but that really kills atmosphere for me. I wouldn't have minded the ancient leaders for their culture because that at least would give variety. now the leaders look just so bland and badly done.

furthermore, why are my deutsche reich units speaking english to me? I even set the language to german for a change, and they still have english audio.

additionally, and probably the worst, there seem to be no new buttons for the new units. all there is are these all the same looking, grey-yellow squares with weird icons.

I cannot play a game like this, call me nitpicky, but this mod doesn't seem right to me.

The only thing that really bothered me was that in the pacific, China was run by Mao. Nationalist China was ruled by Chiang Kai-shek. Mao took over after WWII. I can't play a mod like that... though that might just be the historian in me.

Then play the add-on. The add-on replaces PRC with ROC and Chiang Kai-shek.

Then play the add-on. The add-on replaces PRC with ROC and Chiang Kai-shek.

hum? which addon? bts? :)

edit: visited your site and found out what you mean. that's kinda what I'm looking for, but please, add regular button graphics to the new added soldiers :( and the voiceover wouldn't hurt either. the german sounds are existent in any civ4 anyway

The buttons are staying as is, but new UU graphics are being put in. :)

The buttons are for the war board-game grognards (like me) of the 80's. :) You'll get used to them. Once you understand the system NATO used, they're very logical.

The voice sounds will be fixed in beta 2 of the add-on.

I was slightly put off by the fact every city in Europe had a population of 4. I mean, I understand it would have taken ages to custom-make every single city to make it accurrate, but still, it's a bit annoying that they should all be clones of one another.

President Ryti looks like Sid, That sucks.
Anyway, leaderheads are not so important.

The buttons are staying as is, but new UU graphics are being put in. :)

The buttons are for the war board-game grognards (like me) of the 80's. :) You'll get used to them. Once you understand the system NATO used, they're very logical.

The voice sounds will be fixed in beta 2 of the add-on.

hmm dunno about the buttons :( they're kinda weird to me seeing that every unit in civ usually has his unit card

Road to War is a good mod, it is certainly the best WW2 mod i have played.

Plus i think the max pop you can get, with no health bonuses from terrian and when you have built all the factories comes out to be 4 population! :)

Plus the Nato buttons arn't that bad, they are quite cool and allow easy reading for me anyway.

And the leaderheads again are not bad, would you have rather have the countries flag, like they did in the Civ 3 version. At least they have tried to make decent leaderheads, rather than boring ones.

RTW is a fantastic mod and i really do think your being nitpicky!

The only thing that falls flat in the MOD is the AI, and that is down to the Firaxis and not the modder. Ultimatley though i think it captures the scene of the second world war perfeclty and mundane aspects such as unit icon graphics and leader pictures is probably the last thing i worry about in a mod, and certainly the first thing i overlook.

GG dale.

My question is though:

WHY IS THE GERMANS RUN BY SOME GUY WHO ISN'T HITLER!??!?

I know I shouldn't complain about the lakc of Hitler in the game, but when you've got a country that went to war with Europe with a lot of tanks and stuff, how can you not put in Hitler and replace it with some dude who I have no idea who he is...

Other than that, I don't think Australia could build a fleet to defend Pearl Harbour, nor start an invasion of Japan or prepare for one during the Great Depression...

Another grievance:
Why do all the aircraft look the same? The jet fighter looks like a Mig-15, even though the Gloster Meteor and the Me-262 did not look like anything like that!
Pah! I should get off my soapbox now

I agree about the leaderheads, I much prefer static leaderheads than reskinned ones that blatantly look like the original.

My question is though:

WHY IS THE GERMANS RUN BY SOME GUY WHO ISN'T HITLER!??!?

I know I shouldn't complain about the lakc of Hitler in the game, but when you've got a country that went to war with Europe with a lot of tanks and stuff, how can you not put in Hitler and replace it with some dude who I have no idea who he is...

Other than that, I don't think Australia could build a fleet to defend Pearl Harbour, nor start an invasion of Japan or prepare for one during the Great Depression...

Another grievance:
Why do all the aircraft look the same? The jet fighter looks like a Mig-15, even though the Gloster Meteor and the Me-262 did not look like anything like that!
Pah! I should get off my soapbox now

Then play the add-on. It adds Hitler and various unit models.

BTW, these were deliberately left out due to Hitler's reputation, and if all units had models then BtS woulda shipped on 2 DVD's. :)

...if all units had models then BtS woulda shipped on 2 DVD's. :)

Oh, ya mean like vanilla Civ 4? :p

I understand everybody's complaints about the "as-is" RtW (I've voiced them myself), but I think we should all step back and take a look at the true beauty that is this mod. You have an entirely new aerial bombardment system, ranged bombardment, scripted events for us historical by-the-book folks, and a pretty decent map.

No doubt Dale will serve as an inspiration for all of us who would make WWII mods for BtS. :goodjob:

Australia had the majority of soldiers in the Pacific in WWII until the last few months of the war. About 400,000 I think.

Yes, but a lot of them were conscripts and were on home duty...

Anyway, Australia did help out a bit by sending a few troops ,but they didn't plan full-scale island hopping invasions and take over the Japanese Islands, like I'm planning on doing...

Oh and they've got an immense airforce

Stylesrj:

You might want to do some more research into our involvement in the war before making comments like that. :)

Yes, but a lot of them were conscripts and were on home duty...

Anyway, Australia did help out a bit by sending a few troops ,but they didn't plan full-scale island hopping invasions and take over the Japanese Islands, like I'm planning on doing...

Oh and they've got an immense airforce

400,000 troops in the Islands, not including those defending the homeland.Australia was the first country to defeat the Japanese on land in WWII.Have you heard of Kakoda?

Even though they did win the first few land battles against Japan, Australia still needed America's help to get anywhere else...

In my game, Australia will have nuclear bombs and those Japanese won't know what hit em (perhaps I could hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki :lol:)

Oh and America might sit on the sidelines, twiddling their thumbs

Top Bottom