Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Have to agree it seems Firaxis thought it was a good idea to get rid of most the micromanagement in Civilization V that was in IV and replace it with nothing. The game is just as you said, boring.

there's nothing wrong with playing civ4

or any of the earlier versions for that matter.

Well since everyone rants or raves about this game I thought I would throw in my two cents from a very simple point.

And I for example would really appreciate if You could post Your rants in thread they belong to.
I understand Your disappointment, but now You please try to understand this: if I like to play this game, it's getting really annoying, that I have to "dodge" all this threads with rants when all I want is to read some constructive discussions about game I like.

Just a rant, apologies if it has all been done before.

Multiplayer. Waited a year for cross platform multiplayer, so I could play with my friends who had Windows machine. And we have another patch, putting Mac and Windows out of synch.

While I'm on the topic of Civ 5 multiplayer, what the hell happened? Why is it less customizable than Civ 4? Where are all the maps? Why can't I add more AI? What about advanced start, or being able to mix and match leaders with different civs? If your sequel has LESS customization and options than the game that came before it, you've done something wrong.

I like the OP, to me this is relevant critique. If the users don't get to express their oppionions then how can the people who make this game, improve it.

If you do not agree with the OP, then reply with why you like the changes instead.

While I'm on the topic of Civ 5 multiplayer, what the hell happened? Why is it less customizable than Civ 4? Where are all the maps? Why can't I add more AI? What about advanced start, or being able to mix and match leaders with different civs? If your sequel has LESS customization and options than the game that came before it, you've done something wrong.

I've been thinking about this too. I play Civ4 with my siblings fairly often and we can customize it to our liking. Civ5 has never even worked for me on MP any time I try it, and the gameplay options are pretty slim from what I've seen. The latest patch seems to be very MP oriented, but I don't really see a lot on there to improve its lackluster performance beyond the bare minimum.

WHAT AN INSULT TO THE TRUELY FAITHFUL WHO PAID FOR THIS SERIES FOR 2 DECADES.

Exactly.

Joni and Co. decided to appeal to the "instant gratification" portion of the new generations and trump the masses that put them at this position in the first place. The problem with that is the "instant gratification" part; that type of profile will NOT sustain the franchise in the mid term, forget about the long term... they went for the quick, easy (and shallow) buck forgetting that the franchise lasted for 20 years based on something completely different than the "instant gratification" BS.

I liked Civ5, then I played Europa Universallis III Divine Wind. I will never go back to Civ. After playing EU3, NO Civ even comes close to the depth and immersion EU offers. Civ is fine, for a light hearted play... but it's no EU3.

Sid Meier's Civilization franchise is done, as far as I'm concerned. I move with my feet. I'm done with Civ and any future sequels of the game. Mainstream gaming is done. Personally. I find smaller less known developers and independent developers have way more creativity than most AAA gaming companies.

Multiplayer mod support. We can't even play their own DLC scenarios MP--the cads!

EDIT: By the way, I think it would really make sense if there were two Civ 5 rant threads: One for rants about the game itself, and one for rants about the way it has been left in a Beta state for months on end.

EDIT: By the way, I think it would really make sense if there were two Civ 5 rant threads: One for rants about the game itself, and one for rants about the way it has been left in a Beta state for months on end.

How about: one for the AI, one for the bugs (and Beta complaints), and one for everything else (game design philosophy, etc.). I'd actually like this because sometimes I feel like reading about rants for one category and have to sludge through the rest.

Edit: Oh yeah, can't forget having a meta-rants thread in which we rant about how the rants threads are managed :lol:

Just because you found a game that you think's better, you think it's done?

No, it's probably done because it neglected its long term support base. Finding a better game is just a consequence.

As for the splitting of the rants thread, I'm against. Whoever decided to corner the "haters" into a dark spot of the room didn't realize what the dark spot would become. Soon enough, this thread will only be second to the "Welcome new members" thread, a huge testimony to the "success" of civ5. If it were any other topic, it would probably have been stickied by now (not a bad idea, as it is truly a testimony that "COULD" save the franchise in the long term).

So, it's better to let the "testimony" continue to grow.

No, it's probably done because it neglected its long term support base. Finding a better game is just a consequence.

As for the splitting of the rants thread, I'm against. Whoever decided to corner the "haters" into a dark spot of the room didn't realize what the dark spot would become. Soon enough, this thread will only be second to the "Welcome new members" thread, a huge testimony to the "success" of civ5. If it were any other topic, it would probably have been stickied by now (not a bad idea, as it is truly a testimony that "COULD" save the franchise in the long term).

Aristos is there a discussion thread someplace for EUIII? I have the game the complete version. The complete version can be upgraded with DLC correct? I would have to purchase the DLC, which is no problem. Divine wind and one other I cannot remember the name of. Then there are these sprite packs which diversify each nation's units from each other. I have not played the game since EU1, which I really liked but at the time it was on this very slow pc, I had with Windows ME back in 2000. Many times I could not get far into the game. Anyway, times have changed my new pc can play the game with ease. I want to learn more about the game and start playing it.

100% agree.

Also to complain about the lack of mod support - no SDK or dll.

At this point I'm just hoping for VI or another game company to do better. Still playing IV atm.

Top Bottom