Road to War - how to get rid of the ice in the winter

Mr_M0ntana

Chieftain
I know it's for realism but it takes so long to load and it's virtually pointless in my eyes anyway, so can someone please tell me how to get rid the land turning into ice during the winter?

Need to edit GlobalDefineAlt.xml

When I try to access that it just sends me to a website telling me it can't process it.
Do I need to install an xml system thing? I have very little intelligence when it comes to computer programming

You are probably trying to view the XML file with Internet Explorer. (It may be the default thing that Windows tries to use if you just click on the file to open it, if I recall correctly.)

Don't do that.

Open it with Notepad, or Wordpad (but not Word). XML is just text with specific formatting that is usually somewhat self-explanatory. There are programs (free and otherwise) that are better than either of those for this, such as Notepad++ (which is free and quite nice for editing many file types including XML and Python, which are both used by Civ4), but you can do just fine with plain old Notepad.

If you are running Vista you may have trouble saving the file if you have Civ installed in the default location (the entirety of "C:\Program Files" and all sub folders is protected against files being modified directly, essentially). If so, the easy work-around is to save the changed file someplace else (Temp folder, or the desktop) and then move it to where it is supposed to be.

You are probably trying to view the XML file with Internet Explorer. (It may be the default thing that Windows tries to use if you just click on the file to open it, if I recall correctly.)

Don't do that.

Open it with Notepad, or Wordpad (but not Word). XML is just text with specific formatting that is usually somewhat self-explanatory. There are programs (free and otherwise) that are better than either of those for this, such as Notepad++ (which is free and quite nice for editing many file types including XML and Python, which are both used by Civ4), but you can do just fine with plain old Notepad.

If you are running Vista you may have trouble saving the file if you have Civ installed in the default location (the entirety of "C:\Program Files" and all sub folders is protected against files being modified directly, essentially). If so, the easy work-around is to save the changed file someplace else (Temp folder, or the desktop) and then move it to where it is supposed to be.

OOhh you're right, thanks, but I can't find what section covers the ice part, it's got: battle effects, game features, battle features, air bombing, civ customiser, range bombard, civ changer, civ changer mode, civ changer changes, stack attack, opp fire, active defence, archer bombard, fighter engage. Some obviously don't cover the ice effect, but can you please tell me which one does?

If you do not have the Ultimate edition 1.1 installed (the next version Dale (the author of RtW) mentions below) you need to do as outlined below.
DALE said:
Jan 20, 2008, 09:10 AM

I will be providing a way to do that in the next version, but until then it requires editing a python file.

If you feel comfortable doing that, open CvRtWEventManager.py in notepad or other editor, and find and delete the following lines of code:
Code:
# Check Bitter Winter
if (self.isBitterWinterTurn(iTurn)):
if (self.Map == 0 or self.Map == 2 or self.Map == 4):
self.doBitterWinter(true)
else:
self.doBitterWinter(false)
Note that turning off bitter winter will unbalance the game quite dramatically in the favour of the Germans.
Find this above section of code in the file mentioned above and put a # in front of the lines using notepad e.g.
Code:
# Check Bitter Winter
# if (self.isBitterWinterTurn(iTurn)):
# if (self.Map == 0 or self.Map == 2 or self.Map == 4):
# self.doBitterWinter(true)
# else:
# self.doBitterWinter(false)
This better than deleting as it will allow you to revert back if you want to.
NOTE: You may want to make a backup of the file before editting

In my version I have left it in, but only on the years that "Bitter Winters" actually occurred e.g. 1940 and 1941 after researching weather history for Europe

Oh nevermind, Dale's claim that it'll unbalance the game "dramatically" has put me off taking away the bitter winter and since I don't want to play with the bitter winter on due to how long it takes to load and I don't want to play knowing that it's unfair with the bitter winter off, I'm not going to play Road to War anymore :S

Anyway, AI Germany is awful when playing historically but fudge it.

I wouldn't say dramatically, like Dale says. Once the Germans develop the "Winter" Promotion tech, the effects are negated anyway.

I wouldn't say dramatically, like Dale says. Once the Germans develop the "Winter" Promotion tech, the effects are negated anyway.

Oh ok, when playing single player on historical mode, does the AI still focus on research all the way until war starts, I know it did that before and, regardless of the bitter winter, I would play it if the AI actually produced units as well as focus on research.

If you do not have the Ultimate edition 1.1 installed (the next version Dale (the author of RtW) mentions below) you need to do as outlined below. Find this above section of code in the file mentioned above and put a # in front of the lines using notepad e.g.
Code:
# Check Bitter Winter
# if (self.isBitterWinterTurn(iTurn)):
# if (self.Map == 0 or self.Map == 2 or self.Map == 4):
# self.doBitterWinter(true)
# else:
# self.doBitterWinter(false)
This better than deleting as it will allow you to revert back if you want to.
NOTE: You may want to make a backup of the file before editting

In my version I have left it in, but only on the years that "Bitter Winters" actually occurred e.g. 1940 and 1941 after researching weather history for Europe

I tried installing your version but I didn't really understand how to get it up and running.

I take you prefer Germany as AI. The majority of players of RtW that I polled preferred to play "Germany".

However, have you tried "Hot Seat" play (under Multiplayer). You can then control Germany and all the other nations as well. I am doing this now to control all the AXIS nations.

I tried installing your version but I didn't really understand how to get it up and running.
Version 0.33 is very "techie" and requires a bit of skill to configure. Version 0.4x (that I am working on) and later should fix that. i.e. one single install file.

ok, thankyou :)

I take you prefer Germany as AI. The majority of players of RtW that I polled preferred to play "Germany".

However, have you tried "Hot Seat" play (under Multiplayer). You can then control Germany and all the other nations as well. I am doing this now to control all the AXIS nations.

Where can I find the ultimate edition of Road to War?

I've installed your version and replaced all of the RtW folders with the ones you had, but when I load up the mod, it can't load up the xml files, saying something about CivBuildingInfos and other files, do I need to change the file name, install another file or something else?

You can not use it with Ultimate Edition installed. It is not compatible. When 3.19 came out I used it as an opportunity to re-write my mod for the RtW mod that comes on the "official" BTS expansion and not "Dales" Utlimate edition, which changes the files significantly.

see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=306489 for details.

I didn't put it on the ultimate edition tho

Do I keep the 0.31 or 0.32 and so on, on the end of your files or should I change their name to the ones on RtW? I kept getting lots of errors say "...in info class was incorrect current xml file is..." As well as other things it went through every single building available on CivIV:BtS.

Installation Notes
1: Copy the entire "The Road to War" folder as "The Road to War - KiwiTT"
2: To install these files, find the location of the original ones and replace them with mine.
3: Essentially renaming the originals by adding old to the name and renaming mine to the original names.

Installation Notes
1: Copy the entire "The Road to War" folder as "The Road to War - KiwiTT"
2: To install these files, find the location of the original ones and replace them with mine.
3: Essentially renaming the originals by adding old to the name and renaming mine to the original names.

Thanks, I got it working, but my computer can't take the graphics. Also are there supposed to be loads of merchant ships in the middle of the Atlantic on the 1936 Europe map?

Top Bottom