Sea Level & Number of Civs

Robo-Star

Prince
Hi all,

Is the extra land created by the low sea level option enough to accommodate an extra civ? As in: a small-sized map holds 5 civs; a normal-sized map holds 7 civs; if I wanted a game with 6 civs, what would be the difference (in average available space per civ) between a small-sized map with a low sea level or a normal-sized map with a high sea level?

Thanks for reading.
- :)

If you really want specifics you are probably better off generating one of each and then going into WB and counting the tiles. My only experience with this topic is trying a Normal size map with low sea levels. That can accommodate 2 or 3 extra civs. I can't really tell you more than that.

I have not experimented with this, but note that the space can be divided up rather unfairly in any case. I seem to remember maps (standard size and fractal or continents) where 4 civs were crammed into a continent only slightly bigger than the one that had only two on the other side auf the world.
So I guess one could just world-builder a standard size/standard sea level map and edit one civ out.

If you really want specifics you are probably better off generating one of each and then going into WB and counting the tiles. My only experience with this topic is trying a Normal size map with low sea levels. That can accommodate 2 or 3 extra civs. I can't really tell you more than that.

Interesting - as many as 3? Did you have Barbarians on as well? I will give counting tiles ago, thank you for the ideas.

I have not experimented with this, but note that the space can be divided up rather unfairly in any case. I seem to remember maps (standard size and fractal or continents) where 4 civs were crammed into a continent only slightly bigger than the one that had only two on the other side auf the world.
So I guess one could just world-builder a standard size/standard sea level map and edit one civ out.

Wouldn't each remaining civ have more space overall then - so they would end up with enough space for, say, 12 cities each, rather than 9? True about the odd civ spacing, thanks for confirming its not just me.
- :)

I would usually add at least one civ for low sea level. How many civs and cities that fit on the map also depends a lot on the map script. Some scripts produce more land on high sea level than other scripts makes on low sea level. The amount of cities that fit on the map also depends on continent shapes. The more narrow continents, the more cities you can fit in on the same amount of land tiles.

Top Bottom