New article: Things You Didn't Know About Civilization IV

"In Sid Meier’s Civilization IV, every different civilization has units that speak its native language."

THANK GOD!!! I remember reading that before but was worried that they got lazy with this. After watching all the gamespot videos I was worried that we'd have British voices representing every damn culture... (on a side note -- how come movies and documentaries of the Romans always have people speaking English with British accents!?!?) I, among others, have complained before about using the same units for every culture (*sigh*, looks like we'll have Chinese "knights" again...), but the native language stuff goes a LONG way...

If units speak their native language then why do we hear english in the videos? Do they mean just for the Unique Units?

GREAT! Now, where is Part 2!?
I was kinda wondering that myself.

Something I do like is being able to see the odds of winning a battle before you start. I am a huge fan of the Advance Wars games, which had something like that.

I can't wait to hear the Inca and Aztec ;)

<edit- any linguists out there? is quechua (sp?) from 'incan'? any modern day descendents of aztec? I thought about it and maybe it wouldn't be as silly as I thought...>

Lord_all_Mighty said:
If units speak their native language then why do we hear english in the videos? Do they mean just for the Unique Units?

In the videos, I'm betting the language was still in the works and they hadn't finished recording all the Latin phrases.

minger said:
(on a side note -- how come movies and documentaries of the Romans always have people speaking English with British accents!?!?)

Well to me It pretty much makes perfect sence. The only other type of english is american english (putting aside asutrailian-which wouldn't make any sence to have in a roman movie/documentary), and our american english is 'sloppy' compared to proper english. The Romans, in thier time are orderly and 'civilized', thus english accept-proper. And it just sounds cooler ;)

Besides, it's better than cheesy proto-italian accents.

I think that I end up with the most fanatical and slave driven state in Civ4

Hm, world builder in game. I think that the cheat mode of Civ 2 is back. Dang, i have known many civvers who sucked because they always used that.

shacknews said:
The new bitmap converter lets you import BMP files and turn those into Civ maps, letting you download a topographical map (or a picture of your favorite celebrity) and have the game extract sea levels, mountain ranges and other information straight from it.

So, you can take a Claudia Schiffer picture and have the game extract sea levels, and MOUNTAIN ranges and other information straght from it. And then, play over Claudia's world. :drool:

i will call my cities "right eye", "left hear", "uper lips", "botox" (for the "front", if any french can translate, that's the zone between the eyes and hairs where you put botox, i'm too lazy to look after a dictionnary)

bio_hazard said:
I can't wait to hear the Inca and Aztec ;)

<edit- any linguists out there? is quechua (sp?) from 'incan'? any modern day descendents of aztec? I thought about it and maybe it wouldn't be as silly as I thought...>

Actually, Quechua is the group of people who create the Inca Empire. Is also the lenguage mostly spoken in Peru and Ecuador (Bolivians speak more Aimara, people who we´re conquered by the Incas in the XIII Century).
Is funny to see the Quechua as a UU, is like saying that the "latino" is the Roman UU or the "Slave" as a Russian UU.
But I´m really exited about the voices in quechua. I´m wondering who did it. I´m sure that my mother-in-law didn´t do it.

Top Bottom