Can't initiate propaganda...

GoldEagle

Deity of All Drummers
I have a Spy in Beijing and want to initiate propaganda in one of Mao's "lesser cities", but when I choose "Initiate Propaganda" from the list, none of the cities become highlighted. I also have over 5000 gold. How can I initiate the propaganda?

Thanks for any help,
GE

Bumping this. Google search brought this as the first result!.

How can you see if a nation is a democracy?

Balls, they are all in Democracy. There end my attempt at experimentation. Is this the norm? Once I reach the age of espionage, will everyone be a Democracy?

... and if they ARE in a lot of wars, they'll probably switch to communism or fascism once they discover it. So that may a way to get them out of democracy. Depends on the game details though if that makes for a playable strategy.

It is. Especially if you've been extremely miserly with your gold for most of the game. Nothing more satisfying than keeping a close eye on key enemy border cities via diplo options who have been pressuring you constantly, then wait for a gov switch (ensuing anarchy), and the loose your treasury for mass espi ops. The only thing that would be even more satisfying is if you could hear the AI's howls of anguish as you do this...

It is. Especially if you've been extremely miserly with your gold for most of the game. Nothing more satisfying than keeping a close eye on key enemy border cities via diplo options who have been pressuring you constantly, then wait for a gov switch (ensuing anarchy), and the loose your treasury for mass espi ops. The only thing that would be even more satisfying is if you could hear the AI's howls of anguish as you do this...

Machiavello could have signed this! :D

This is very very interesting. I thought that flipping cities this way only worked with cities sized level 1-3. Can u make a city level 12+ to flip with your spies during an anarchy time? All this time i've been bombarding the living crap out of cities till they reach those sizes so i can flip them with my propaganda, or just taking advantage of the AI's misfortunes.

During anarchy, city size doesn't really matter. Key factors are number of troops, amount of culture in city before anarchy, and anarchy length. I've actually flipped a size 16 city before, but AI border cities usually avg about size 8-12.

Hate to dredge up an old thread, but it is on topic...

I can't seem to install a spy anywhere, they always get caught and killed.

What am I doing wrong?

5 actually, for a 100% settled spy. It also helps if you have your spy slider at a base 20, plus any wonders/national wonders that give espi bonus (I. E. Istar gates, Scotland yard, etc.). There is a really good write up about espi over in the S&T forums. I highly recommend it.

Hate to dredge up an old thread, but it is on topic...

I can't seem to install a spy anywhere, they always get caught and killed.

What am I doing wrong?

If it's your first attempt against that AICiv, then nothing -- the pRNG was just being nasty to you. That said, the first failed attempt against any one AICiv sets up an 'untrustworthy' flag against you in the AI's memory, which has (IIRC) a 66% chance of being removed on each subsequent turn. This has the effect of making the AI much more 'suspicious' for the next couple of turns, so subsequent attempts to plant a spy against that same Civ during that window are also likely to fail. Drakarska says you need to wait 5 turns because at that point the probability that the flag is still in place has dropped below 1% (0.33^5 = 0.0039...) -- so if you fail again, you've just been really unlucky.

Speaking personally, as a generally peaceful builder, I usually don't prioritise Espionage. It's an optional tech which doesn't even become available until the Industrial Age, and setting up espionage missions is so ridiculously expensive (first you have to research/buy the tech, then build the IA, then pay to install a spy -- risking failure and usually war -- and then pay for a mission which may also fail/cause war) that I don't think it's usually worth the cost/risk, unless I'm planning to go to war with that AICiv anyway. (If you have MPPs in place, trying and failing to plant a spy may actually be a useful tactic, because if that AI DoWs you and attacks across your borders, even though he had a cassus belli, all your allies will then go after him).

Since it's possible to find out (nearly) everything I need to know about an AICiv -- what tech/resources they have available, who they're trading with, what they're building, how well they're defended, etc. -- by talking my Foreign Advisor (Mr. F4) after an Embassy has been established, and/or using that Embassy to investigate one of their cities (or more than one, if I'm thinking of going to war), I hardly ever use spies. The only exception is if I think I might be involved in a close space race, because for some reason an Embassy can't tell me whether an AICiv is developing a space program, or how far along they are... I guess my Ambassadors don't bother reading the national newspapers, or watching TV! :crazyeye:

If you're still intent on doing some spying, some things I've noticed:
  • Even if you fail to infiltrate a spy against one Civ, you may still succeed against another Civ on that same turn.
  • I seem to have had more success installing spies when I'm _already_ at war with the AICiv I want to spy on (which has been helpful, because an embassy can't investigate target cities while you're at war -- but a spy can).
  • Or maybe I've just been lucky... ;)

Top Bottom