Civilization II Unlimited

So it makes that modification useless :(

Yeah, unfortunately. :( Your effort is much appreciated though. :)

There is still a memory allocation bug with the Increase Events Memory too.

Actually, does that mean the events are stored in a different area of memory? Civ2 stores the actual memory addresses of the events' text strings in the savegame. If you relocate the memory I don't know how that will affect the game when you reload from a savegame, with or without using your loader.

No it would be additional flags not existing in rules.txt already. For example, a flag that allows an unit to be a "Worker (Civ 3 wise)" that can build road etc, but cannot build town. Or for example a flag that allow unit to do terraforming. Such things not doable in rules.txt

Interesting... Would such flags work for the AI as well? Or are they, as I suspect, just hacks on conditionals related to user action, so to speak, which wouldn't work for the AI?

This work really gets the scenario designers salivating! Thanks for your efforts.

Would it be possible to give any unit a flag that causes loss of hit points when it ends its turn outside of a city (like a helicopter)? Even if it affects only the human player, it could be of immense use.

Some of the things you have done, such as removing the gold and population bugs, would be of value to GOTM players who use the vanilla Classic version (2.42). There is a major difference between that version and the higher ones in they way the AI gets hostile and diplomacy becomes useless. Once the dust settles from the work you are doing to help the scenario types with MGE and ToT, could you take a look at doing a simpler patch to 2.42?

While I'm looking at this, I'd also like ask about bugs like the Dateline problem, which is not really a space allocation or variable overflow issue like the pop and gold and units problems. Can you debug and fix formulas like that one?

Interesting... Would such flags work for the AI as well? Or are they, as I suspect, just hacks on conditionals related to user action, so to speak, which wouldn't work for the AI?

For the players first, then can have a look at AI eventually which is of course more complex.

This work really gets the scenario designers salivating! Thanks for your efforts.

Would it be possible to give any unit a flag that causes loss of hit points when it ends its turn outside of a city (like a helicopter)? Even if it affects only the human player, it could be of immense use.

That's a good idea, I will look for it.

Some of the things you have done, such as removing the gold and population bugs, would be of value to GOTM players who use the vanilla Classic version (2.42). There is a major difference between that version and the higher ones in they way the AI gets hostile and diplomacy becomes useless. Once the dust settles from the work you are doing to help the scenario types with MGE and ToT, could you take a look at doing a simpler patch to 2.42?

While I'm looking at this, I'd also like ask about bugs like the Dateline problem, which is not really a space allocation or variable overflow issue like the pop and gold and units problems. Can you debug and fix formulas like that one?

In fact I'm already "forcing myself" to do a ToT version, as for me I would only modify MGE. So I don't plan to add another version on top of that and I do not have classic CIV2 anyway. What is that dateline problem you are talking about ? Or was it a problem of classic CIV2 ?

Oh, Elys... Any chance you could add this 64-bit patch as well?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215

I do not possess a 64 bit CPU. So i cannot test anything on that. But I guess you can use the patched civ2.exe x64 with the loader in [forced] mode.

Else I'm busy for now , so do not expect any modification in the next days ;)

What is that dateline problem you are talking about ? Or was it a problem of classic CIV2 ?

It's a problem with all Civ2 versions. Round maps are, obviously, really just flat maps where the right edge of the map attaches back to the left edge of the map. That's the "dateline."

Civ2 units can't cross the dateline using the go-to function. Instead of moving units across it, Civ2 will send them the wrong way around.

I do not possess a 64 bit CPU. So i cannot test anything on that. But I guess you can use the patched civ2.exe x64 with the loader in [forced] mode.

Else I'm busy for now , so do not expect any modification in the next days ;)

No problem. :)

How does Civ2 determine whether a unit should incur the hit point penalty, by checking domain and range? If that's so, could the check for domain be removed? Then a modder could set auto-weakening using settings in @UNITS as it is now. Simply set range = 1 for any non-air unit you want to not lose strength. AFAIK, other than a cosmetic change on the status pane, that shouldn't have any other effect.

Awesome work man. It even works with the original Civ 2

I just found this post and Civ II Unlimited sounds great. I didn't see a link for downloading it, though. Is it currently available for download (if so would someone send the link) or is it still in development? Either way, it looks like a lot of work has been put into this. Looks great!

I downloaded the previous ToT patch "nolimitstot" folder 7 Dec 2006.

And it gives me beautiful 171 x 172 worlds and permits me to have
more than 32K gold. But if more than 32K gold, when I kill the dragon,
rather than winning 1,500 gold; I lose thousands of gold.

Would be nice not to have unit creation fail because reached the
maximum units; so I hope to try your unlimited ToT version too one day.

Awesome! I just found these forums and can already see that I will be here allot as time permits.

I just Dl'ed the civ2 unlimited zip file and am going to try it right now! Will post results.

I just have civ2 classic installed.

{crosses fingers}........

Doh! First attempt failed with 'unrecognized civ2.exe version' DL the 2.42 patch, same error next time. Going too try again after work!

{Crosses fingers}.....

Whelp, I have too report failure! Seems I need to go out and buy MPG or ToT, LOL.

Awesome! I just found these forums and can already see that I will be here allot as time permits.

I just Dl'ed the civ2 unlimited zip file and am going to try it right now! Will post results.

I just have civ2 classic installed.

{crosses fingers}........

Doh! First attempt failed with 'unrecognized civ2.exe version' DL the 2.42 patch, same error next time. Going too try again after work!

{Crosses fingers}.....

Whelp, I have too report failure! Seems I need to go out and buy MPG or ToT, LOL.

Yeah, this site is great for Civilization addicts :goodjob:

As you have found out, Civ II Unlimited is only made for Civ II MGE or ToT.

It's also easy to guess by my last posts here that I have stopped working on it, so sorry for the few unanswered requests above. I'm usually motivated to mod games that I'm currently playing, and I've stopped (again :eek: ) playing Civ II. Playing and modding from game to game ^^

Else HAPPY NEW YEAR !! :king: (very soon)

Well shucks!:(

I got so disgusted with the max unit thing I stopped playing civ2 myself. I did, however, discover something called Hearts of Iron 2, DoomsDay.:)

Thank you for all your hard work. I love it that there are fans as dedicated too the games I love as the people here! Any mention of what games you are currently playing/modding?

Recently I've only done small mods for Oblivion that I was playing the last months. Currently playing Titan Quest but excepted a simple loader I made to increase the potion limit stack from 5 to 100, I don't plan to mod it.

I don't know Hearts of Iron 2, so I googled it quick and found a wargame.
Is it turn based ?
Is there lot of management ? ( Civ II is a fine level of management for my taste, more would bore me )

Recently I've only done small mods for Oblivion that I was playing the last months. Currently playing Titan Quest but excepted a simple loader I made to increase the potion limit stack from 5 to 100, I don't plan to mod it.

I don't know Hearts of Iron 2, so I googled it quick and found a wargame.
Is it turn based ?
Is there lot of management ? ( Civ II is a fine level of management for my taste, more would bore me )

It's actually unlike anything I've ever played be for!:goodjob:

It's based upon WWII, and you get to play one of the many countries. The game has allot of areas that could use someone like you to fix up. There are several mods and scenarios out there, but for now I'm just planning to play the 1.3a vanilla version of the game. The game is not turn based, but is pauseble (you can give orders to all your units, change production orders, conduct negotiations etc while the game is paused) and well, like I said, not like anything I have ever played before.

For now, it is at least as addictive as any civ game I have ever played. I highly recommend this if you have the means. The game series is:

Hearts of Iron (HoI)
Hearts of Iron II (HoI2)
Hearts of Iron II, Doomsday (HoI2DD)
and the latest expansion, Armageddon.

I bought the online version HoI2DD about 2 weeks ago and haven't yet played it through to the end! The cost for the DL version is $19.99 and is definitely worth the money.

And like I said, It could definitely use someone like you.

Their forums are here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=288

From there you can easily get direction too Paradox Games (the makers), and Gamers Gate (the DL site).

Some interesting stats for their forums:
Threads: 306,344, Posts: 7,422,287, Members: 88,451

Top Bottom