GOTM 016: Special GOTM Award Nominations

starlifter

Deity
After a Hiatus since last Fall, the GOTM 016 will mark the return of the GOTM Special Awards....

Nominations can pe posted to this thread, or PM'd to Starlifter.

Here are the Guidelines/Rules & details:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5985

The Deadline for Nominations will be five (5) days after the .SAV archive is posted, and the results will come NLT 3 days later.

Some sample ideas can be seen the this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5153

Since many new players are now reading/submitting, let me remind you that everyone and anyone can download the .SAV games and make nominations. You need not even play the GOTM to make a nomination!

Also, self-nominations are very cool. :cool: You know your own game the best, and the nomination need not come from one of your submitted .SAVs... it can come from anywhere in your own game.

EDIT: Fix bad link.
EDIT2: Change deadline because of delay in GOTM016 results.

I propose the first special award:
Most voluminous poster. Can anybody guess who will win?

Starlifter,
Where have you been? Treatment for RSI?
It's good to see your game timelines back. They are very instructive, especially in analysing openings and the engineer pump in mid to late game. I'm usually lazy with this. I don't often build more than 100.

Originally posted by starlifter
After a Hiatus since last Fall, the GOTM 016 will mark the return of the GOTM Special Awards....

The Deadline for Nominations will be 15Jun02 for GOTM 016, and results posted NLT 18Jun02.

{quote of email to my friend}
check first post out.
if you thought their scoring system look complicated check out this special award section.
Talk about nice and complicated!! {end mail quote}

OK'd'ok, will see what we can do, i didnt keep a log . Never heard of such a thing; like a lot of things i've come across here.

Already casually nominated myself for biggest blunder :lol

i didnt keep a log .
You don't need to keep a log to play GOTMs... it's a totally optional thing, and does not affect the monthly awards (offical or special) in any event. When the GOTM .SAVs are published in the archive, download them and have a look at player's games... if you see anything humorous or interesting, make a nomination (prefer with a screenshot). The example thread gives the general idea :).

Originally posted by starlifter

The Deadline for Nominations will be 15Jun02 for GOTM 016, and results posted NLT 18Jun02.

Some sample ideas can be seen the this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5153

Since many new players are now reading/submitting, let me remind you that everyone and anyone can download the .SAV games and make nominations. <b> You need not even play the GOTM to make a nomination!</b>

Also, self-nominations are very cool. :cool: You know your own game the best, and the nomination need not come from one of your submitted .SAVs... it can come from anywhere in your own game.

Kobayashi Maru scenario Award
Since there is a flag down on my field. I've obviously cheated. Will withdraw from GotM16 as there is a Yellow Orange flag on my play of the scenario.

Will nominate Players with Best Science ( number of techs ) by 1 Ad for this award. <correction>
Of course you must save the settlers, so most
Population by Discovery of Invention (when barbs stop) , feel free to add those unpoppred hut as they will likely be nomads or Advanced cities
<Space advisors> but dont you need astronauts?
Right which adviser will supply them?
<Civ 2 advisors> dont have any they were burned in the wars.</CIv 2adviser>
Civ 2 advisors are dismissed, award go to player with most unpoppe huts at and og game . period.
Even if they have launch a spaceship.
After all you might need 2.
<add final> just kidding you have to save the settlers</>

I'd like to nominate starlifter for the best promotion of the GotM consistently this month. Gonzo will agree that he has spread the good word far and wide across the forums and hopefully will have encouraged new people to share and discuss the wonder of civ rather than just stay in Off Topic and mess about.
Well done starlifter! :goodjob:

[edit]: This example made me laugh out loud. An otherwise daft thread used by starlifter for promotion purposes!
As he would say: LOL :lol:

CHANGE: The Deadline for Nominations will be five (5) days after the .SAV archive is posted, and the results will come NLT 3 days later. :)

With the delay in GOTM 016 results, the deadline for the Special Awards is now Tuesday, 25 Jun 01. :)

EDIT: Changed deadline to Sunday, 30 June to accomodate additional nominations :)

Remember, you don't even need to have played the GOTM to suggest an award and/or category! Even you casual websurfers and guests that are reading this can make nominations!! :)

I did some analyzes of GOTM16 results to see everyones tactic. (The first ten players). Maybe it would be interesting for others - see XLS file.

I would like to nominate for special award LUCKY - he had pretty bad start but managed really good result. I know I am late, but five days term for nomination is impossible for me.

Sorry.

Originally posted by LordValuna {edited quote}

Kobayashi Maru scenario Award

Of course you must save the settlers, so most
Population by Discovery of Invention (when barbs stop) , feel free to add those unpoppred hut as they will likely be nomads or Advanced cities
<Space advisors> but dont you need astronauts?
Right which adviser will supply them?
<Civ 2 advisors> dont have any they were burned in the wars.</CIv 2adviser>
Civ 2 advisors are dismissed, award go to player with most Settlers at end of game.
Even if you have launched a spaceship.
Ypu might need more engineers/settlers for the colony
<>

Nominate
Lucky with 224 (unless hes even higher!)
Gary Nemo 53
Old n Slow 50
Honorable mentio to Demitris 43 with lots in the production pipeline
and to Androw

sorry for lateless.
try gofm17 now:cool:

Hmm, IIRC, I had a bit over 320 settlers max, the 224 at the end were already much less. :eek:
:D

I'll wait until Saturday evening or Sunday to give people more time. With the delays this month, everyone may not have had time to see this during the week :).

If anyone would like to add screenshots, that is fine too. Basically, most if not all nominations will make it as some sort of "Award"....

Remember, the "Category" title itself can be part of the humor.... the "Categories" can change each month, plus we might even want to have some semi-permanent ones each month, too!

I think I rememer seeing Old n Slow make a nomination over in the Matrix going away thread, too.

Golem, did you want to make an award (or more than one) from your data analysis? If you would like to look at something similar to your Spreadsheet on a regular basis, maybe there can be a regular category or two in there? :)

Something like "Fastest breeding citizens" (the most population and/or citizens in AD 0). Or maybe "Most prolific erath movers" (most Settlers in 0 AD). Or "Smartest Scientists" (the most techs in 0 AD). BTW, you give my scientists too much credit :eek: .... they only managed to research 43 techs in 1000 AD, not 53! But they really do promise to work harder next time ;).

For LordValuna:
Your nomination is for the max settlers in a game, right? Do you have a creative title you'd like to give the category?

I did not understand about the barbs stopping at invention. Sea barbs stop at Mobile Warfare, but hut barbs don't expire. You can get Jabba the Hut barbs anytime.

Are you wanting to make a category for most Advanced Tribes? Nomads are NONEs, but all NONEs are not necessarily Nomads, so that one might be hard for you to compute....

You can make more than one nomination, BTW, so if you want to add something new, just be more specific (by Sunday). :)

I do not want to do too much regular categories, so I suppose it would do the game less interesting - the main and best result is GOTM score - a lot of players could be concerning on details as how many setlers I have and so on and not on the game.

BTW, I have found interesting on the XLS how different are various tactics - if you see 1000 AD, you can find 3 Republc, 3 Democracies, 4 Monarchy.

I would suggest another two regular categories - first arriving spaceship (for me is always better to conquer the world) and the best OCC.

For the first category I nominate WillemVanOrange for the second Kev.

This nomination was made by Old n Slow in a different thread:

Starlifter, I want to nominate Dimitris for the first ?rooked? award -- his score seems to be a bit off (maybe just a typo) -- He has ample score plus & achieved it far earlier than I did, yet ?officially? I beat him by 2 points -- somehow I don?t think so.

The GOTM 16 Special Awards should be posted later today. :)

Top Bottom