PLEASE HELP with German Upgrades

soprismb

Chieftain
I've read the stuff on the Germans and I just started playing with them but I don't get the elite upgrade benefit. Let me explain and someone PLEASE HELP me.

Okay, I went by the strategy of building up as many possible elite upgraded warrior armies as I could. I got that far. I ended up winning last night a domination game but it was through sort of happenstance and not skill. I need to know how the elite upgrade benefit works for the Germans. Here are my questions:

1. When do the units upgrade? I NEEDED to upgrade to legions in an emergency and so I got iron working--but they didn't upgrade that turn--they upgraded the following turn after I lost half my armies.

2. Do they only upgrade once? These same units that upgraded to legion DID NOT upgrade to Knights when I got Feudulism. NOR did they upgrade to Panzer Tanks when I got combustion. (I had to do that with Leonardo's Workshop)

3. The science "backfilling" thing...when does that come on? Is it when you get +30 science a turn? Because I don't know how you can stay in the game when the computer starts getting 100 science a turn if you're only getting 30 a turn and you have a bunch of warriors built up.

SO, can you PLEASE tell me how the fark I get my elite warrior armies (which may by then be legions) to upgrade into either Tanks or Knights. I have no clue and I had to really play a great game to win a domination with them.

ALSO, what exactly is a "ELITE" unit? Is that a veteran that has a great leader settled in it? Or is it a unit with 3 victories (that's veteran, right?) or is it a veteran unit with 3 victories?

In short: Me playing with the Germans is like me at the bar on a friday night--I see great potential with the girl in the corner because I keep hearing she does all kinds of freaky sh it but in the end I can't find out because right as I'm getting ready to close the deal she passes out. I see great potential in the Germans but I can't tap into it. All I'm stuck with at the end of the night is a blank look and both hands on my controllor.

ALSO: I have two types of victories left with the Germans on Deity, science and economic. Econ doesn't so much worry me as frankly, if you have a good military you can get the gold ultimately. BUT, the science on the other end seems problematic because they don't have a single science bonus and if you go by the "build armies for the elite upgrade" maxim, you do so at the risk of falling behind in science. Any tips from any seasoned pros?

1. When do the units upgrade? I NEEDED to upgrade to legions in an emergency and so I got iron working--but they didn't upgrade that turn--they upgraded the following turn after I lost half my armies.

The units upgrade the turn after you get the tech that gives you an upgrade

2. Do they only upgrade once? These same units that upgraded to legion DID NOT upgrade to Knights when I got Feudulism. NOR did they upgrade to Panzer Tanks when I got combustion. (I had to do that with Leonardo's Workshop)

Upgrade happens as soon as you have the next unit type in order on the Tech tree, i.e. you cannot "jump over" one unit type that is similar to the one you have. See Mikewest´s "the ultimate tech tree" for details on which units that make other units obsolete.

3. The science "backfilling" thing...when does that come on? Is it when you get +30 science a turn? Because I don't know how you can stay in the game when the computer starts getting 100 science a turn if you're only getting 30 a turn and you have a bunch of warriors built up.

Science backfill comes if another Civ has discovered a Tech and you could finish it in less than one turn if chosing to research the tech.

ALSO, what exactly is a "ELITE" unit? Is that a veteran that has a great leader settled in it? Or is it a unit with 3 victories (that's veteran, right?) or is it a veteran unit with 3 victories?

An ELITE unit is a veteran unit that has won additional three victories so that it gets an upgrade, i.e. normally a unit that has won six victories but in the german warrior case they are already elite if produced in a city with Barracks

In short: Me playing with the Germans is like me at the bar on a friday night--I see great potential with the girl in the corner because I keep hearing she does all kinds of freaky sh it but in the end I can't find out because right as I'm getting ready to close the deal she passes out.

:lol:

Hope this helps.

German warriors are automatically veteran. If you have a barracks then warriors are instantly elite.

Remember - I you take an elite unit and combine it with other less qualified units the army formed will be elite.

You can accomplish the same affect with other civs if you are lucky enough to get a great leader. barracks + great leader = elite units.

You can accomplish the same affect with other civs if you are lucky enough to get a great leader. barracks + great leader = elite units.

A unit becomes an elite unit when a veteran unit has won three battles, i.e. produce a unit with barracks and then win three battles unless you are a german producing warriors because then they are elite directly if produced with a barrack. Why even bother thinking about great leaders???

A unit becomes an elite unit when a veteran unit has won three battles, i.e. produce a unit with barracks and then win three battles unless you are a german producing warriors because then they are elite directly if produced with a barrack. Why even bother thinking about great leaders???

General info perhaps, as in 'when not playing with Germans'....

The units upgrade the turn after you get the tech that gives you an upgrade

Upgrade happens as soon as you have the next unit type in order on the Tech tree, i.e. you cannot "jump over" one unit type that is similar to the one you have. See Mikewest´s "the ultimate tech tree" for details on which units that make other units obsolete.

They upgrade the same turn

Science backfill comes if another Civ has discovered a Tech and you could finish it in less than one turn if chosing to research the tech.

An ELITE unit is a veteran unit that has won additional three victories so that it gets an upgrade, i.e. normally a unit that has won six victories but in the german warrior case they are already elite if produced in a city with Barracks
This appens also with great leader

:lol:

Hope this helps.

Comments in bold..

Comments in bold..

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the upgrade for Germany you are right. For all other Civilizations it is important to note though that you need to have had a Tech for at least one turn for the Leonardo´s Workshop to upgrade units, i.e. if you discover a new tech the same turn as you build LW you won´t get the units upgraded. I mixed up those two things.

Regarding the Great Leader it is correct, I was more commenting on the German trait. However, I´m sure that I was impolite when writing it and obviously some of you reacted. I´m sorry for that. Great Leaders are not needed for Germany but for others.

Once the Germans have researched Iron Working, they can no longer produce Warriors and the Legions do not get the same bonus. For the Germans to produce elite units (which will then auto-upgrade) they either need a Great Leader or win three battles as a veteran or win a battle against an elite unit.

Germans make the most of the Terracotta Army relic also, if gotten early. That relic bestows the Scout upgrade on ALL units, including defensive ones. I had a game where I found the TA after I had several cities with archer armies. Some were vet but most weren't. For the rest of the game, though, I had upgraded defenses in those cities with every new defensive tech I researched. Sweet.

Top Bottom