How good is TOT compared to 2.42?

Sir_Lancelot

Emperor
I have Civ II 2.42 and I'm happy with it. But I see that Test Of Time is popular in this forum so I consider buying it. I went to Amazon and had a look, and the user reviews of TOT says it's awful. The biggest complaints seems to be blurry graphics and it's hard to see which unit you are controlling (it's not blinking). How true is this?

I also want to know how well diplomacy works. I've read that the AI was generally hostile in the Multiplayer Gold Edition, is it the same in TOT? I think the 2.42 AI is pretty uncooperative and I wouldn't want it even more hostile.

Is TOT really any better than 2.42?

I am somewhat vision-impaired, and I never had any problems figuring out which unit I was controlling.

Also another review, at cnet.com, is cutting down TOT. I now have serious doubts about this game. I'm interested in comments from people who have played both versions. Is the criticism of TOT fair?

Quoting a piece from the review:

"Of course, if the designers didn't rename all the technology and units, then the game would be exposed for what it truly is: Civilization II with absolutely nothing new. They didn't create any new technology trees and kept practically all the old units. The original Civilization II is now three years old. We waited three years for this?"

ToT has better scenario making capabilities than MGE. Take a look at the scenarios here and if some of the ToT scenarios look interesting, then buy the game. I bought it to play more scenarios in the German PBEM forum, but that community sort of died out shortly after anyway, so I never played much.

I'm not interested in scenarios. Are scenarios the only reason for getting TOT?

The biggest difference is the ability to play on up to four layered maps (worlds). If that is not your thing, then stay with the original. I think the animated 3d units, are different.

It is only one game. It allows you at certain times, to add a map with different terrain and aspects to give new units more abilities and more colonization options.

Does it mean that you can play four different games simultanously or what is it?
Think of it like a tri-dimensional chess game on Star Trek, except that the Lalande and Midgaard/Fantasy games have 4 levels instead of 3. Even the Extended Original has two map levels in the late-game stage. In that one you have the choice between starting on Earth and trying to get to Alpha Centauri, or starting on Alpha Centauri and trying to get to Earth.

I always start on Alpha Centauri - it's a lot less crowded there! :lol:

In spite of your efforts to explain I don't understand how the different layers/dimensions is working. I do know chess the board game but I don't know Star Trek. I searched for videos on Youtube but I found nothing that explained or showed the layers.

Are the additional layers/dimensions popping up as an extension of the known world later in the game? Like when the Europeans discovered America, they suddenly got a new world to "play" on? Is this how it works in ToT?

But I did get an impression of the graphics. Some of the graphics I liked, like the animations, but other aspects I don't like. Rivers for example looks like a series of puddles, and the forest (or jungle?) looks like it's painted with a too tick brush. But I love the music.

Which version of Civ 2 is most popular here in the forums?

I do not know about popularity but classic and MGE are more prevalent. In GOTMs we always play the latter (which are compatible with eac other), but as I have said before we would love to host a TOT game if there is enough interest.

In spite of your efforts to explain I don't understand how the different layers/dimensions is working. I do know chess the board game but I don't know Star Trek. I searched for videos on Youtube but I found nothing that explained or showed the layers.

Are the additional layers/dimensions popping up as an extension of the known world later in the game? Like when the Europeans discovered America, they suddenly got a new world to "play" on? Is this how it works in ToT?

But I did get an impression of the graphics. Some of the graphics I liked, like the animations, but other aspects I don't like. Rivers for example looks like a series of puddles, and the forest (or jungle?) looks like it's painted with a too tick brush. But I love the music.

Which version of Civ 2 is most popular here in the forums?

You can only view one layer at a time, so there is no way to view it as multiple layers in the same screen shot. In the fantasy game the levels represent earth, the sky, and underground. In the Lalande game it represents 4 planets: Each with their own special abilities and the ability to gain more resources faster in late game stages.

It basically adds more dimensions map wise as opposed to a single "flat" earth.

I think I finally begin to understand the layers. :)

Does anyone here know how the AI behaves in ToT? Is it more like 2.42 or MGE?

Some units have the ability to move from level to level (world to world). For example, with Lalande, I try to get Shuttles as fast as possible, so I can start exploring the Orbital Platforms. It is possible to build cities on that level, but it requires some careful planning. You have to keep in mind that what might be a "land" tile in Orbit might be the middle of the ocean one map below.

With Midgaard, some units can literally dig down into the Underground (Dwarves and Goblins). Other than playing Goblins, Stygians, or finding the Gate of Hel, the only way you're getting to the Underground is to bribe a Dwarf (you can also bribe Goblins).

You can only view one layer at a time, so there is no way to view it as multiple layers in the same screen shot. In the fantasy game the levels represent earth, the sky, and underground. In the Lalande game it represents 4 planets: Each with their own special abilities and the ability to gain more resources faster in late game stages.

It basically adds more dimensions map wise as opposed to a single "flat" earth.
Don't forget the Underwater world. Since I like playing the Buteo (bird people), I like to explore the Underwater world by landing a Buteo unit on a Kraken (you need to bribe the Kraken first), and when the Kraken submerges, the Buteo unit will be carried along with it. This is how Buteo Settlers can build cities on that level (unless they bribe a Merfolk Settler).

It purely depends on your taste of games. I've always preferred TOT, but my dad sticks with standard Civ 2.

As far as why that is, I like Civ 2, but prefer having a bit of variety in gameplay, so having access to the extended original, sci-fi and fantasy game types included in TOT is a big +. (I especially like the Sci-fi variant) It's like getting civ 2 with 3 professionally built, relatively well thought out mods for it.

My dad on the other hand doesn't like trying new things or keeping track of different styles of play, as he usually plays civ when he's got writers block and wants to do something "mindless" for a while. As such having a single standardized set of unit/tech/building/wonder progression and stats is more comfortable for him.

Top Bottom