Rivals you must eliminate

Ok, so what rival civs do you feel are a big enough threat you must deal with immediately, and why? For myself I give examples - Rome. If I encounter Rome early I want to crush or cripple them fast before they get iron working to build their praets. Another example would be Monty, Shaka, or Genghis Khan. They are aggressive, will go to war with me, so I would deal with them while they're still weak. Bring the war to them before they bring it to me. What civs/leaders do other players feel are a necessity to deal with early?

I don't care much about warmongers, but I think that Financial leaders are the biggest threat. Especially Mansa. If I didn't deal with them early, they would prop up everyone in tech - including warmongers. Like someone once said in these forums - warmongers make everyone else weaker, techmongers make everyone else stronger.

Of course, on some maps it's impossible to deal with them early. For example, I have seen Continets maps where another continent hosts 4 Financial leaders. These maps are a real pain.

Mansa makes YOU stronger. I'd only rush him if he was leaving me no choice land wise.

Warmongers have advantages when it comes to bribes. Befriend them early and sick them on rivals.

Otherwise, rivals are just any AI whose land you want

rfcfanatic is a isolationist mercatilist, hence Mansa being a bother for him. Q.E.D.

Montezuma is only a threat early game, he hardly ever builds infrastructure that isn't for an army (in a city with a 28gpt shrine intact, he only built a barracks, a forge and military). His tech pace is really slow and he often DOWs in stupid situations. His cities are quite good targets though, and when he gets mad his worst enemy is often doomed. I find him easy to wipe out though. Shaka, Genghis and Rome (either leader) are aggressive and better at teching than Monty.

Ragnar is the best techer among the warmonger thanks to his Financial trait. Alex is too crazy to make use of Phi. Hammurabi is Agg + Org too but isn't as aggressive as the other Agg leaders.

Shaka is indeed also capable of teching ahead once he gets enough land to snowball.

I think anyone who's over-expansionist (Joao, anyone?) should be wiped out ASAP if in close proximity to you.

Mehmet...

Spoiler :

That's from an old game I played several years ago. Mehmet and I waged many wars all throughout history, but despite my building of seemingly huge armies (I trained close to 300 Cossacks in that game, lost more than 200 of them), these wars always ended in stalemates with only one or two cities being conquered back and forth. Then this happened.
Since that day, I always try my best to annihilate Mehmet as soon as possible whenever he's in the game.

I hate you Mehmet! I hate youuuuuuuuuuu! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 2017.jpg
    2017.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 2024.jpg
    2024.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,124
Neighbours. I don't like them.
Controlling your own landmass saves a lot of late game trouble.

I don't like Toku. He isn't very friendly.
I think anyone who's over-expansionist (Joao, anyone?) should be wiped out ASAP if in close proximity to you.
Yes, on higher levels he'll have like 14 cities while I am building my fourth. One of my favorite moments in civ was playing as HC on immortal and catching Joao on turn 15 with only one archer in his capital. I took out his whole civ with one quechua.

On regular BTS, potentially, all detested AIs can become a potential great friend. On K-mod, all AIs are PITA, no matter the personality. A K-mod AI friend is a busy friend with a common worst enemy.

I find AIs that culture pressures you very annoying

such as cathy, zara pericles etc

Gandhi NEEDS to be wiped out as he's always beating you to wonders and first-to-discover bonuses. You also get some nice wonders out of conquering him. He is usually easy to beat in wars, unless he's left alone for a long time and out-techs everyone.

Anyone who got early shrine AND good land = its clear sign that they will fly away.. and most likely get lot of allies later.. have to deal with him (her) right now or.. maybe never...

For me:
Pacal II: he isn't much of a threat but killing him makes you stronger
Suryavarman II: my archnemesis (I consider it a victory if I kill him, even if monty kills me five turns later)
Gandhi: same as Pacal
Any wonder or city spammer with a weak army near my borders (yes Justinian, found those glorious cities for my profit)

People whom I leave for later (unless forced to otherwise):
any warmonger, they will be behind in tech and make great vassals, plus they might just attack the techmonger if you ask nicely.
Mansa Musa: he makes me strong and he stays weak (usually)
any mercantilist, they tend to suck technologically
Rome: I don't like him, especially julius, but he is easier to kill when you have the rest of the world in your pocket (i.e. everyone else already capped)

In the end, I agree with Greek Analyzer - all of them.

Justician, Charlemagne, Joao, Zara Jacob, Celts (if does well in game). Rest do rarely well in both, economy and military with some rare exclusions.

Joao and Gilgamesh are quite annoying as neighbors.

Alex and Isabella too because they keep begging for something and stingy in trading techs.

Ok, so what rival civs do you feel are a big enough threat you must deal with immediately, and why? For myself I give examples - Rome. If I encounter Rome early I want to crush or cripple them fast before they get iron working to build their praets. Another example would be Monty, Shaka, or Genghis Khan. They are aggressive, will go to war with me, so I would deal with them while they're still weak. Bring the war to them before they bring it to me. What civs/leaders do other players feel are a necessity to deal with early?

If popular aggressive civs are my neighbers, I try to kill them before they kill me. It would be typically too expensive to keep paying them off to stay off my back via other wars. But if they're not my neighbers I like to keep them around for war bribes. Either they keep the pesky tech whores down, or they make the whole world hate them before the tech whore vassals him, transferring the hatred to the master.

I hate civs like Zara (always strong), Mansa Musa (though at least he can be bribed into war), and Willem Van Orange and Hammurabi, as both are useless unless you're friendly with them, and even then they only will DOW someone they're annoyed/furious with.

Top Bottom