Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.bernbaum

Mostly lurking
I just read a news article saying that Firaxis had announced this game (Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth) would be released this fall. Does anybody know anything about it? Beta testers? Insiders?

I've perused threads on forums that got the news a little quicker, but that doesn't make me an insider.

What I have noted...

It's based in the CivV engine and concepts...meaning 1upt and hexes. I've seen nothing bad about hexes, but divided and strongly held opinions on 1upt so that may be an issue for some people. Chances of that rise exponentially on a Civ IV forum, obviously.

The devs are backpedaling hard away from it being SMAC redone. I suspect they are trying to reduce the backlash from the SMAC faithful, which probably indicates they know it's coming. This indicates either; they know faithful fans of decade old games are impossible to please, or, they know they butchered it...or maybe some of both.

This indicates that very soon Civ V Complete will be arriving on a discount rack near me, and I will buy it.

The devs are backpedaling hard away from it being SMAC redone.

There are probably legal issues also.

I just read a news article saying that Firaxis had announced this game (Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth) would be released this fall. Does anybody know anything about it? Beta testers? Insiders?

First I've heard; where was the article published?

Either 7 or 8 factions iirc, can't remember which. I hope the AI can handle 1UPT in this game! There is a CivBE subforum, should be there. Both this thread and some information.

TheSunIsDark,

Thanks for the pointer. I looked for it and found it. For those, who like me had not heard about it before, there is a separate forum, at the same level as the various Civ (CivI, CivII, CivIII, CIV, CivV) forums. Since I have the CIV forum bookmarked, I don't normally see that level of forum hierarchy.

Any speculation as to the game's premise? Think it'll be conquest of our solar system, continuation to and settling of Alpha Centauri, or going to multiple star systems beyond??

Intriguing idea, but not sure I can deal with Civ V in space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom