Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v2)

I have updated the original to fix the text problem. They changed how the databases interact so the text was discarded because of a conflict (the Iroquois also have Montreal on their city list). I fixed that by making the city list overwrite that (and possibly delete Montreal from the Iroquois city list - I haven't checked much on this part yet).

EDIT: I checked and Montreal does not appear to be on the Iroquois city list when this version is used.

Attachments

• Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v 3).rar
    540.7 KB · Views: 247
The text problem is still there in v.3 of the mod. I'll do the attempt to remove the text problems by re-writing the names of cities and such. But even with the regular warrior, the text problem still comes up.

EDIT: TXT problems still come up. The "updated" link that "fixes" the text problem still comes up...

Someone please fix this.

I am unable to download this mod. Would anyone know why this is and how I can fix it?

Good civ. Doesn't anyone think that the UA is a bit too strong? I think half unhappyness is really good as it is. +1 culture might be a little too much, since canada can expand much more because of the extra happyness they get.

Also I noticed that this and the inuit civ don't seem to agree. The text for the inuit civ gets all weird. Must be something that has to do with the civlopedia entry or something.

A note for all who are using this mod and has the TXT problem.

DO NOT ADD AN "S" TO <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ST_JOHN"> IT ONLY KEEPS THE PROBLEM.

I did a little tweeking on this and made some new units for Canada; they are the Leopard 1A3, that replaces the modern armour, the M109 Paladin to replace the rocket artillery, and I decided to give Canada their own aircraft carrier, the French Joffre Class.

I did a little tweeking on this and made some new units for Canada; they are the Leopard 1A3, that replaces the modern armour, the M109 Paladin to replace the rocket artillery, and I decided to give Canada their own aircraft carrier, the French Joffre Class.

Great.

I presume it's on Steam?

Nope. But don't bother downloading it. I can't get individual graphics for the special units to work due to my lack of xml knowledge.

LOL, funny how it's so hard to pick which good, er, bad Trudeau there is for leader hehe. But that's my opinion. Arrow was a good pick, and peace keeper isn't bad either, although a building might have been better like Microwave tower (replacement for broadcast tower) or Dew Line (replaces arsenal) might have been some ideas. Great job.

Super mod! However and I don't know why, every time I approach years around middle-age, (1000-1400 AC, precisely 1280), the game ends up freezing on me. Note that I'm also using the Gods and Kings DLC : have you tested your mod with that DLC, could this the the problem?

Some comments about the mod, then a suggestion :

1- Globally the mod is well balanced, good job (and THANKS!).

2- The Avro should be a jet fighter, as it was a jet fighter/interceptor technically at least 10 years ahead of its time (thus a jet fighter that should be available at the same time of fighters, with a "strength" in between ). However I can't say much more since I didn't have the opportunity to try those units because of the bug above mentioned.

3- What about "Voltigeurs" light infantry units? Or later, a heavy infantry unit of international recognition since both World Wars, even considered by the Nazis as the most feared of them allied infantry units, the "Van Doos" (with Paul Triquet who received the Victoria Cross ribbon bar for the heroic actions of his "Van Doos")? Historically, there was really nothing special nor "unique" about those "Peace keepers units" apart from their status (maybe an ability to infiltrate would be cool, but don't know if it's feasible)...

4- Note that having the Voltigeur would provide a unique unit at a different era than the Avro Arrow, which would bring "satisfaction" for a longer time span in playing the Canadian civilization.

The "Voltigeurs"

A truly unique Canadian unit, mixing trappers abilities with light infantry force power (a bit like Daniel Boon, an explorer with trappers abilities who was also a militia officer during the US war of independence - that's to relate to a well-known historical figure : even though Mr. Boon was a "US product", unlike himself this type of unit was not an exception in Canadian forces derived from Lower Canada's militias).

Apart from "Peace keepers", which were more of a diplomatic military force than a "uniquely powerful military force" (acting as international police agents under UN's or NATO's jurisdiction), and who as such were dismantled since the advent of the neoconservatives (thus occupying a very brief period of time in Canadian history), there should be the "Voltigeurs", a truly unique light infantry unit : they could move faster than usual units whatever the terrain, even faster via rivers (using them as roads in the game, without penalty if crossing them), use ambush tactics, and were very resistant, especially in forest (and tundra for the matter of the game, the exception would be any desert tile where they'd get useless).

Power scouting and garrison
Being a light infantry unit using rifled muskets, they could also be used as scouts (thanks to their ease of movements, and also to the fact they took their experience from trappers - some even being former trappers), as well as special infiltrating agents for the most exceptional of them (e.g. diplomatic exchanges with Indian tribes, and/or be used as agents against the USA of that era - or be captured and used as such by the capturing nation). They could be considered as cheap infantry units, with less fire power than rifle man, a bit more than musketeers, but with more resistance to attacks than any other infantry units of that era. Cities with garrisoned Voltigeurs would be more resistant than any other garrison of that era.

Historical background

Context

In 1812, at the beginning of the war between Great Britain and the United States, the British have approximately 5500 troops on the territory of Canada of, of which 3300 were stationed at Quebec in Lower Canada.

On the other hand, there's also nearly 50 thousand militiamen known as "Sedentary", essentially constituted by the local population : French "civilians", who at that era were called "Canadians" (while English loyalists understandably considered themselves first and foremost as British citizens, "certainly not Canadians", especially after many loyalists fled from the US war of independence - like a second invasion of Canada from Great Brittan... lol). Of course their fighting spirit and professionalism expected for the interests of Great Brittan was debatable in times of war, since they were militiaman who already considered themselves under the oppression of a foreign monarchy, and thus acting for the sole interests and stability of local civilians and Nation (which is also why Mr. Benjamin Franklin made a trip to Quebec, trying to convince about the good nature of the United States independent of the British monarchy)... Anyways : all in all, this however relatively small force faced the army of a well equipped southern neighbor who was also well decided to invade Canada.

Advent of the Voltigeurs

In the spring of 1812, the war is inevitable and the Governor of Bas-Canada (Lower Canada), Mr. George Prévost, decided to strengthen its defenses. The battalion of the Canadian Voltigeurs, a light infantry unit, is thus formed. The Commander of the Voltigeurs is Charles-Michel de Salaberry, a native of Quebec, born in a family of Canadian (French) military officers who then joined the British army : the "Voltigeurs" were exclusively Canadian voluntaries, all of them French speaking (or as we'd say today "french canadians" : again, at that era being a "Canadian" was considered as being a native of the invaded French Nation called Canada, as English colonials understandably considered themselves first and foremost British subjects and citizens).

The recruitment campaign is well organized, every man who agrees to join the ranks of the voltigeurs is offered a sum of 100 pounds. In addition, they are promised that the system of punishment which governs the regular soldiers of the British army, such as the whip and other corporal punishment, won't be used nor accepted. Several month later, more than 350 recruits joined the unit and are well trained.

In November 1812, the units garrisoned in the Eastern Townships have managed to stop the advance of American troops to Montreal (best garrison of that era). Similarly, in October and November, 1813, during the battle of the Châteauguay River, colonel de Salaberry and his men, aided by the famous sedentary militia (about 500 men in total), have repelled an army of 2500 American soldiers. In August 1814, they fight in Plattsburgh, in the State of New York, to support the advance of the British forces (light infantry tactics, scouting, ambush tactics, infiltration).

As a Canadian, I am thrilled that someone has taken the time to add Canada into Civ 5!

I just have one complaint. When I first loaded the game as Canada, I noticed that the Brave New World theme would continue to play and once it stopped, so did the soundtrack. This is something that irritates me because I love playing with the ambiance of the peace themes in the background. Also, I'm not really a huge fan of the BNW theme. Anyway, I believe this problem is due to the lack of a custom theme cutting in at the start of the game, as is usual for all the vanilla civs. After quickly skimming over this thread, I've noticed that no mention has been made regarding custom music for Canada (please correct me if I'm wrong). Of course, it would be rather inappropriate to expect you to compose an entirely original piece for this mod but fortunately, we're in luck.

Most of the themes composed by Knorr and Curran are simply orchestral variations on songs/melodies that are strongly associated with a civilisation. What song is more associated with Canada than O Canada? Now, I say we are in luck because O Canada is actually itself a variation of, or rather, "inspired" by a piece called March of the Priests. March of the Priests, or in its native German, Marsch der Priester is the opening music for the second act of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflöte). As an operatic conductor and director at the Grand Opera House in New York, Calixa Lavallée, the composer of O Canada, would no doubt have been familiar with March of the Priests; the similiarity between the opening measures of the two pieces is uncanny and undeniable. Furthermore, since March of the Priests is, in a way a, an orchestral variation of O Canada, using it as the peace theme for your mod would be in line with that of the vanilla civs and thus, bring a heightened sense of legitimacy or professionalism that few other civ mods can boast.

Just a suggestion that I thought would boost the quality of this already great mod. If perhaps you already had selected a theme for Canada and it didn't show up in my game because my computer was derping around, then feel free to disregard my suggestion. Thanks!

I do wonder, is there any way for one to program my personal idea for a "Multiculturalism" UA, wherein signing a Defensive Pact with another Civilization grants you their UA, and gives them the ability to do the same? I feel like that'd be a more exciting ability that makes Canada more of a diplomatic powerhouse that reaps rewards for keeping the peace.

all the data in the mod shows up as "TXT_KEY_LEADER_MACDONALD" and such instead of the names of the item .... any idea as to what this may be

Top Bottom