Ramses is a coward...

Wolfshanze

CFC Historian
I never thought I'd live to see the day the AI thought it was better to run-away then stay and die a useless death... but Ramses just developed a yellow-streak down his back and let his feet do the talking...

Here's the tale...

...so I'm crushing Ramses in a war... sucker ticked me off when he built MY WONDER (the Brandenburg Gate) just before I was going to complete mine... well, Ramses just so happened to be sitting on my continent and his capital (where he built the Brandenburg Gate) wasn't too far from a major stockpile of my troops... so I figured "I have no wars raging, Ramses is on my border, and he just built the wonder I was craving so badly (a big boost to Great General emergence).

So, in normal fashion, I proceed to bash him in, everywhere I go... I thought he only had a few cities on a peninsula, but then I realized he also had a few cities well north of my empire... so I had to send an expeditionary force up north...

It was this force that met with surprise... shortly after conquering his capital city back on the peninsula, Ramses made one of his northern cities his capital... my expedition force besieged the city (with a good tech advantage... my Rifles vs his Muskets), and I had already led a few assaults into the city (I was outnumbered, but I held the tech edge... so it was only a matter of time). He had some Galleass's in the city, and was reduced to a single Horse Archer... my cannons and rifles were ready to finish the job the next turn, when what happens?

He leaves his ships in-port, but has his last remaning horse unit book out of the city and run away...

I've never seen that! :eek:

The AI has a propensity to die to the last man on futile stands, but Ramses took to the hills rather then die... not sure if that was cowardice or strategy... but I found it very strange...

Oh well... he won't last much longer!

Yes... it really happened... I also don't normally post stories... which is why I posted this... he had a horse archer and two ships in one of his last cities and I had a small SOD next to that city... I end my turn, and the next turn, his troops left the city vacant except his ships... really, really odd... and first time it happened for me too... really weird... I just marched into his defenseless city (not that I wouldn't have captured it anyways... but really odd he turned tail and ran).

Yeah it was totally weird... I would expect that out of a human, but not the AI. There's nothing he could have done though to save the city... I had Cavalry, Cannon and Riflemen outside the gates, and all he had left was a single Horse Archer... he had ZERO chance of survival.

Still odd he took to the hills... I'm used to the AI dieing to the last man.

For the record... a turn after I took the city, my Cavalry hunted down his Horse Archer and killed him too.

sucker ticked me off when he built MY WONDER (the Brandenburg Gate) just before I was going to complete mine.
How do you build that, Wolfsschanze?
I added it into the game in my Wolfshanze Mod (see sig-line if interested)... it's primary benefit is doubling the emergence rate of Great Generals to the power that controls the gate... I'm a war mongerer who needs great generals and I was highly ticked that Ramses would have the gall to build my wonder before I could! At least it was built on my continent... I was already mad when Trafalgar Square was built by the English in London (go figure) on the other side of the globe!

Anyways, I crushed Ramses and I have my gate now... planning a war with the English now that I finally have ocean-going coal-powered ironclads.

Ahh.. can't you create a warlords mod.
Kinda feel deflated when all the mods turn out to be BtS. You see I can't buy it in my country as there are no retail offerings of Sid's games. The exchange rate comes a mite expensive.
Certainly not to the extent I created the Wolfshanze Mod... the Wolfshanze Mod has... well... I seriously lost count how many custom flavor units are in the mod (ie: German infantry looks German, Indian Swordsmen look Indian, English Riflemen looks English, etc, etc)... I added several new unit classes (ocean-going Ironclads, Pre-Dreadnoughts, Dreadnoughts, WWI fighters, bombers and tanks for example), some new civs (Austria & Poland), along with some new World Wonders (Brandenburg Gate and Trafalgar Square).

There's more then one reason why all the new mods come out exclusively for BtS, and not just because it's "newer"... BtS is very mod-friendly, especially in regards to "flavor units" (Germans looking German or Indians looking Indian). In Warlords, if you want a "flavor unit", you have to create a new Unique Unit for each addition for each nation... so if you wanted all 34 civs to have a unique looking Rifleman, you'd have to add 34 new unique units to the game and have 34 entries for Riflemen in the Civilopedia!

It's a lot more work, more time-consuming, and the results considerably "sloppier" when making mods for Warlords or Vanilla then it is for BtS. Thats why there are so many mods coming out for BtS and almost none for earlier versions.

In a nutshell, it's simply not realistic for me to recreate my mod for Warlords... to re-add literally hundreds of unique graphics for all the units and all the nations, the new civs, the new leaders, the new wonders would all be hugely time consuming for something I myself would never even play (because it simply works much better in BtS)... if you really wanted this sort of stuff, your options would be:

1) Bite the bullet, go on-line and purchase BtS on-line and have it shipped to you.
2) Learn how to add things to the game (it's not that hard) and add whatever you want (including the above wonder and more) into Warlords for yourself.
3) Settle for whatever mods do exist for Warlords (There's a lot more for Warlords then Vanilla at-least).
4) Ask nicely (if there's serious interest), and maybe I'll make a "mini-mod" for Warlords that includes the Brandenburg Gate and Trafalgar Square... that would be about it though... no-way could I recreate my whole mod for Warlords!

Back to Ramses
That bum Ramses is making me VERY mad! He seems to keep running away and keeping one step ahead of me! I've kicked him off of my continent, thinking I was done with him, only to realize he got-off some settlers to another island some distance from my empire... it's near one of my colonies, so just as I'm getting an expedition ready to sail to conquer his "last" city, my overseas explorers notice he's loading up another boat full of explorers to found yet another city on another island... he's reproducing cities overseas about as fast as I'm crushing them... the bum! :crazyeye:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but the AI being unwilling to fight a catastrophically losing fight was a characteristoc of the Better AI mod (by Blake, author of the Bts AI). A throwback?

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but the AI being unwilling to fight a catastrophically losing fight was a characteristoc of the Better AI mod (by Blake, author of the Bts AI). A throwback?
Dunno... it's actually something a human would do (which is good), but it's certainly not something I'm used to seeing.

Happened to me numerous times. Sometimes the AI left loads of navies in the city but nothing defending it. Heck, it's like hanging a banner "Please capture me" and I'd be more than welcome to move even the worst of my army to the unarmed city.

Wouldn't exactly call Ramses 'clever' (he left his ships which can't denfend but not his horse archer that could) but I've never seen an individual unit actually run away. Closest thing I've seen is when Isabella surrendered during a battle she was loosing badly (it was 3 civs (Me [America], Russia [My war allies], and Ghengis Khan [who asked for my help] vs. her, plus I was 1 turn away from completing my first ICBM!!!)

Wish what happened to you happened with me. Julius just kicked my b**t in this game I played with a stack of doom. It cut down my tanks despite being full of riflemen. In the end I reloaded the save and quickly made a defensive pact with the 2nd largest civ out htere (the largest being yours truly). That made jules mad

That's happened to me before with some customized AI (customized by someone else, not me, but I don't remember which one). I think it happened mostly with just Vanilla Civ4.

Top Bottom