Stalin's Glory

jahsoldier

Warlord
Hi there, I've only been playing Civ4 for a couple of weeks and I wanted to share my first story cos it made me very happy.

I'm playing Communist Stalin (police state, state property, nationhood, caste system, theocracy) on an inland sea map. The small coastal city of Sputnik (yes I have a sense of humour) is some distance away from the rest of my empire, and has been cut off in by Bismarck who's boxed it in with cities and is now the move with a dozen or more assorted catapults, riflemen and cavaliers. I'm ahead of him on tech, but I've only got a couple of weak units in Sputnik since most of my machine gunners are stationed in Moscow, on the other side of the map.

Just when it seemed lost, my second Transport ship was built in St Petersberg - just as my workers finished laying a railway between it and Moscow, which allowed me to load six machine gunners onto the ships, ferry them over to Sputnik and fortify them there - all within a couple of turns. The gunners mowed down troop after troop of Bismarck's while I used my transports to ferry in offensive troops and artillery from other cities, push ahead and quickly conquer all three of his scantily-defended cities which were boxing me in.

In short Sputnik was safe, my gunners gained stacks of experience and my empire is now all joined up and massive! It was one of those great satisfying gaming moments where everything just came together, and instead of a frustrating loss I got a deeply satisfying victory :goodjob: I'm really glad I stuck at learning how to play this cos initially it was very daunting

Top Bottom