Civilization 5 Rants Thread

problem with Civ 5 on Steam: can't get achievements on multiplayer

i prefer playing multiplayer most of the time but i can't even achieve while doing it. sure achievements are ******ed, but you must understand that i'm ******ed. i mean, come on sid meier.

I am so sick of how slowly this game runs on my laptop. On a small map, it took an hour to get to turn 35 on standard speed. It has somehow gotten worse recently, now I have to turn to strategic view right at the start of the game to make it at all smooth and still then turn times take ages. Why release a game that a laptop than I got at the same time as the game can't even play? It is ridiculous. The devs can do all the fixing they want, but if they aren't going to increase the speed of a game that has somehow got even worse, there is no point.

Moderator Action: Merged into the Rants thread. :)

Maybe your computer is not strong enough?? Try lower the graphics to low...
Mine goes olso slow if it works on high graphics and i have vista with good graphics sow try it out.

My graphics are at the lowest already and my laptop is only as old as ciV itself! Yes, it's a laptop, but still this is just ridiculous.

Well, I wouldn't expect every new computer to run all applications considering the increasing diversification (netbooks, low-powered laptops optimised for long battery life, liquid-cooled gaming rigs...).

But personally, I'd like all games to have an option to be rendered in codepage 437 characters rather than these fancy modern graphics. And I do think that Civ5 is quite demanding for little effect (a sleek but sterile art deco look can be pulled off well in a way that shouldn't challenge 10 year old hardware).

The really annoying thing is that I got this laptop as a replacement under warranty for my Acer that I had had to send back twice. I specifically asked whether this laptop would be able to play civ 5 and other games at an acceptable speed and they said yes. :mad: Lying B***ards. It can't even play portal bloody 2!

The really annoying thing is that I got this laptop as a replacement under warranty for my Acer that I had had to send back twice. I specifically asked whether this laptop would be able to play civ 5 and other games at an acceptable speed and they said yes. :mad: Lying B***ards. It can't even play portal bloody 2!

Then it's your laptop's fault. My laptop is now nine months old and it can run Civ5 on High quality smoothly enough, and Portal 2 on maximum settings with ease.

If you want my advise, just forget about Civ5 and stick with Civ4. It's easier on your computer (my older 2004 computer could run Civ4 - BtS on Low settings), with Beyond the Sword patch 3.19 you don't even need to carry your CD around and there are really awesome mods (Rise of Mankind is the best example) that can greatly improve your game replay ability, something Civ5 is very short of.

If you want my advise, just forget about Civ5 and stick with Civ4. It's easier on your computer

That's good advice regardless of if his comp can handle civ5 or not.

The biggest, most hateful comment I can even think of to rant about, is really very simple:

I bought the game for full price.

Nothing fills me with more loathing than this fact. Because I have unwittingly endorsed the spoon feeding of milquetoast crap to us all. If I could have returned the game I would. I would in a heart beat.

I bought the "Collectors Edition" with the nice little statues and art book and no rule book ... the fact I got no rule book was really the start of the decline of my experience with Civ 5. Then of course the play after that. Steam was less of a concern if it was a good game. It wasn't ... I uninstalled them both. No steam for me either ... bonus.

The biggest, most hateful comment I can even think of to rant about, is really very simple:

Nothing fills me with more loathing than this fact. Because I have unwittingly endorsed the spoon feeding of milquetoast crap to us all. If I could have returned the game I would. I would in a heart beat.

I'm sure any 'privateer' in your situation is now very glad to be a 'privateer'.

And I'm talking like this because I want to state a fact without promoting something that would be considered against this forum's rules.
Moderator Action: And you're definitely not allowed to get closer like this.

Instead of paying $98-110 in Australia for Civ V when it was released, I bought it from an overseas vendor for $44 AUD. Steam doesn't care where you purchased it which is a good thing. I don't think Civ V is even worth $44 but it sure is better than spending the ridiculous amounts publishers/distributors want in this country.

The truly tragic thing is that it's almost impossible to get a refund for this insulting AAA wanna be piece of crap. :sad:

That being said, nature abhors a vacuum. That void will be filled in the future.

Everyone has been so scared to take on Civilization lately. (Really since CTP2 or Rise of Nations) I can't really blame then after the success of cIV.

No more. The middle market is open to such a game as Firaxis/2K Games has abandoned the middle market for the casual/fluff mass market.

Although it's not apparent now, this is really good news for people that want a creative, interesting game that really makes you think.

We just have to be patient. :)

No more. The middle market is open to such a game as Firaxis/2K Games has abandoned the middle market for the casual/fluff mass market.

Although it's not apparent now, this is really good news for people that want a creative, interesting game that really makes you think.

We just have to be patient. :)

One can only hope. There are so many skilled people out there with great ideas than get ruined for some extra bucks. Honestly, I'm sick and tired of games I enjoyed so much in the past being ruined, turning into complete sellouts!

Look at this awful trend: games being shipped incomplete, different DLCs required for the full experience, "pre-order here now for this exclusive thing that everyone else will never have", "this game we're developing will be the most awesome game ever made with incredible depth and great balance!" - but it's a load of bs without even having a functional multiplayer, games being launched and getting record sales but then almost not caring, tons of bugs and zero patches...

Spoiler :
:old:

I miss the old times where there was a lot more of a costumer support and concern for the brand. And the silly part is that I'm still very young indeed.

:(

My graphics are at the lowest already and my laptop is only as old as ciV itself! Yes, it's a laptop, but still this is just ridiculous.

The recommended system reqs for Civ V are very high for a turn based strategy game which is a pity. You essentially need a rig capable of playing some the best fps games out there. My PC's primary bits are about 2 years old - duo core Intel processor, 4GB RAM, dedicated high end graphics card etc. and I usually get into trouble midgame and onwards.

It's pretty idiotic that I can play Crysis with high settings with no performance problems (or Civ IV bts with hundreds of units roaming the map) but I get into trouble with Civ V at medium settings. And then there's the game breakdowns on top of it... :sad:

But since the tech problems are subjective (some experience them, some don't) I wouldn't address those as the worst problem with Civ V. That honor goes to the game AI. Some of the minor issues I and others complain about with Civ V (IV bts had many small issues too), would mean less if the AI was at least capable of playing a decent strategic/diplomatic game but it isn't. Not even close.

I'm sick and tired of the AI civs just spamming and placing units with no care of what to use them for. When every tile in their empire is filled with units, tactics goes out the window because there's little to no tactical mobility for all parties involved. Quantity is not the same as quality.

I'm sick and tired of the AI civs just spamming and placing units with no care of what to use them for. When every tile in their empire is filled with units, tactics goes out the window because there's little to no tactical mobility for all parties involved. Quantity is not the same as quality.

Carpet of Doom, anyone?

Spoiler :

Carpet of Doom, anyone?

I've seen that one before, but it is still pretty depressing :(

At some point one of the devs must have said, "uhhh, this 1UPT thing doesn't really fit in a game where the map represents the entire world and the time scale is 6000 years."

I guess it was too late to change it by then, if they were even willing to consider it.

I just realized something. They probably released this crap game on steam only so people couldn't return it. I know I would have.

What a Fn joke.

Well, some people appreciate developers who take account for future hardware as well. There are a lot of developers who do this: make a game that is still "current" tech-wise for years to come.

The elder scrolls series is the same way. You can buy a brand new state of the art rig and it will still make Oblivion look even better. All their games get released when the current hardware can't run it to the full potential. Its call scaling. I'm sure their new one coming out in November will be the same way, it'll bring all existing hardware to its knees. But the game will remain viable to the masses for the next decade to make up for it.

But, as all games developed like this, you'll get a bunch of people complaining about performance because they're too damn stubborn to turn down features until it does run fine.

Top Bottom