Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2/Beyond Earth Game

Axis Kast

Warlord
Anybody interested in a forum game set in the Alpha Centauri universe?

I'd like to run a game with a heavy narrative style using a rule set typical of the "sprawling wargames" designed and run by the late historian Paddy Griffith.

The game will essentially tell the story of the survivors of the Unity mission from the moment that the first crew are awakened to deal with the micrometeorite collision.

Play would assume the roles of faction leadership. They would be free to use the factions already familiar to them, or else to create their own. As in the original story, each faction must propose a unique answer to three fundamental questions: (1) Why did human civilization on Earth fail? (2) What are the irreducible truths of human nature? (3) What will it take for humanity to survive, and thrive, on Chiron?

Come on. 250 views, but not a single show of interest?

I've got a small community set up already. Eight players. Seven factions still aboard the Unity waking crew and stocking landing pods. Plenty of time for newcomers to join the fun.

There've got to be folks who are interested in a simulation that lets them relive the glory days and plot a course of their own.

I encourage interested parties to take a gander at the game played here.

It could help if that forum was set as visible to guests (registered users can see it without asking for permission to post, though). Though honestly, given the silence so far, it probably would not help that much. But I suppose it's also true that SMAC's universe is a bit hard to really get into at this level of detail, and collaborative vaguely rules-based storywriting like this is *really* hard especially if you're not already familiar with the other participants.

Hey! Thanks for your kind reply!

I didn't realize that the forum wasn't visible to guests; I apologize for that. Unfortunately, that seems to be a decision taken somewhere above my pay grade.

If you're interested yourself, I'm looking to fill both "ordinary" slots (make-your-own-faction) and specific slots that have "roles" in the narrative (pre-made factions that you can take in a direction of your own choosing). I'm also happy to explain the rule set in a bit more depth. Essentially, I've got a template and, with a very basic set of stats, you explain what specific actions you have in mind based on the context provided in my narration.

The forum settings should have been changed to allow unregistered visitors to browse now. Please let me know if they are not. Cheers!

Ay, it works.

I did at some point consider coming in with a unity-affine faction but, as before, I really don't think I would stick around. This sort of thing is only fun if the players commit to it for long enough for interesting stuff to happen, and I really do seem to be pretty bad at commitment.

Ah. I knew that your handle looked familiar. Know of anybody else that might be interested?

Would it be worth moving this to one of the other threads or sub-forums where folks might be more likely to see it?

Anybody interested in a forum game set in the Alpha Centauri universe?

I'd like to run a game with a heavy narrative style using a rule set typical of the "sprawling wargames" designed and run by the late historian Paddy Griffith. Actually, I've got eight players already engaged elsewhere, but I'm open to running the story across multiple fora.

The game will essentially tell the story of the survivors of the Unity mission from the moment that the first crew are awakened to deal with the micrometeorite collision described in the original story packaged with the game.

Play would assume the roles of faction leadership. They would be free to use the factions already familiar to them, or else to create their own. As in the original story, each faction must propose a unique answer to three fundamental questions: (1) Why did human civilization on Earth fail? (2) What are the irreducible truths of human nature? (3) What will it take for humanity to survive, and thrive, on Chiron?

Any takers? Any questions?

I would be interested. I note that you say that this would be have a heavy narrative style, and am wondering if I would be a good fit for this game, as I do not have much experience in creative writing.

Moderator Action: Moved both of your threads to NES and merged them. Think this is the best place to have your game. Good luck.

Is there any structure to this? Any rule set?

Welcome to the #Nes subforum Axis.

As for your game, I think I WILL give it a try.

Consensus (Immaculate)
(communalists seeking evolutionary singularity through embrace of post-humanism)

(1) Why did human civilization on Earth fail?

In part it was the inherit limitations of humanity itself. We were too short-sighted, our conscious too limited to understand not only our environment and ecology but our ultimate role therein. Our limited lifespans limited our perspective, our goals, and ultimately our fate.

(2) What are the irreducible truths of human nature?

Humanity is not a body and a mind, its something greater, a spirit, a will. Its genes are DNA but don't need to be. Virtual human minds are still human. An AI created to mirror a human (and who passes the Touring test) is also effectively human. Humanity is whatever it can be. Ultimately humans are tool-users, dynamic and changing in a way no other species from Earth can be.

Importantly, unlike the Ascendancy, we believe in, and celebrate individualism.

(3) What will it take for humanity to survive, and thrive, on Chiron?

We require a fundamental shift in our consideration of what humanity is, of what it can be. We must embrace post-humanism, those technologies, social constructs, essential truths that help us to embrace the essence of being, while setting us free from things like forgetting, mortal lifespans.

Additionally, we must be wary of the varying tyrannies (such as the Hive) that would strip humanity of its individualism, to turn it from something precious to a part in a machine.

Thanks for the help moving this thread to the appropriate forum! Much obliged!

Welcome, new folks.

We are very happy to take aboard folks at all skill levels. The narrative focus is more the unintended result of wanting to avoid building a ludicrously detailed rule set than an attempt to squeeze New York Times bestsellers out of the lot of you. While I do reward those who produce creative writing in connection with the game, you are welcome to experiment with styles other than classic first- or third-party narrative, including the "newsprint" and "memo" styles familiar to the geopolitical crowd.

To create a faction, please review the original set of fourteen in Alpha Centauri and Crossfire, then provide a brief answer to the following three questions: (1) Why did civilization on Earth fail? (2) What are the irreducible truths of human existence? (3) What does your faction believe is necessary, politically and organizationally, for human civilization to succeed on Chiron? Think, too, about why even a very small cadre of Unity crew and colonists might accede to the leadership of your faction head during the Crisis of Planetfall.

The "aesthetic" of this game is late-1980s/early-1990s visions of the future. Feel free to use current issues and "hot topics" of the past four decades to fuel your thinking about faction design.

I do have "special" slots open for players of factions that will shape the narrative in specific ways. Unfortunately, because of the sensitivity of those roles, I can only give very minimum detail before I assign them. Let me know if you want to go in that direction.

I intend for the game to unfold episodically, and that is what we have done thus far. The game began when the command crew awoke to address an emergency on Unity's arrival in the Alpha Centauri system. Players have spent one regular and one double-long "impulse" (roughly 36 hours) trying to organize an evacuation amidst an orgy of looting and violence. The third impulse (12 hours) ends tonight (Monday night) at midnight EST. Moderation will follow by Wednesday, August 27. I will include all new players in the subsequent impulse.

The rule set is simple. Based on the Wargame Developments Handbook and the "sprawling wargame" concept introduced by late historian Paddy Griffith, each player submits their orders in the form of logical argument. Players generally take between one and three actions per turn, depending upon faction size.

The template is as follows:

Action: My forces SEIZE the Emergency Command Center (ECC).

Result: Spartan forces successfully storm the ECC and execute the remaining defenders.

Reason 1: Spartan forces open the engagement by planting C4 against the hatch, then employing grenade launchers to fire high-explosive and flechette rounds into the compartment. Once the bombardment is complete, smoke rounds are fired for concealment. Spartan troops wearing respirators and night-vision goggles then storm the section, armed with assault weapons.

Reason 2: Col. Santiago hand-picked each of the Spartan stowaways, and a high proportion of Spartans have combat experience.

Reason 3: Restoration forces defending the ECC are already severely bloodied, as described in the moderation last impulse. By contrast, Spartan forces have not yet suffered significant casualties.

Each argument will then be considered. If the move is unopposed, it succeeds. If two or more players present conflicting arguments, the Umpire compares their validity. Each faction has a set of general stats, called "pips," that gives the player a general sense of his/her capabilities. If necessary, I can set probabilities and use dice, but I haven't found that necessary thus far. Players seem to get enough time with me that the results of moderation are rarely a surprise. The point is to encourage you to take well-considered actions by forcing them to present your actions in a well-reasoned format.

What I'd like to do is run a pan-forum game, meaning that I'll try to post the latest moderation here as well as on the site hosting the original game, The Frontier. PM me for the URL. You will want to visit both to get a sense of the background and to identify folks with whom you may want to conduct diplomacy. I will begin building a general contact sheet that can be used to trade e-mails and the like.

Immaculate, looks like the Consensus is ready to go. Look my up on Skype (DesertJourneyman) or YIM (Trenacker) so that I can assign you pips.

I am most interested in this concept.

Humanity First (Sir Parker II)
Promoting human cooperation to create a happier society.

(1) Why did human civilization on Earth fail?
War between different human factions was the major downfall of the society. The human race would be an unstoppable force as a united people.

(2) What are the irreducible truths of human nature?
Humanity is the set of traits, physical and mental, that the entirety of the human race shares. This encompasses things like human emotions, desires, and thought processes. Other species may be able to show human traits at times, but will never truly fit in to the category of humanity.

(3) What will it take for humanity to survive, and thrive, on Chiron?
Cooperation between all of humanity is critical. The advancement of society and sciences depends on a safe and supportive community.

Looks good, Sir Parker II. Welcome aboard.

Out of curiosity, what will Humanity First do if others refuse enlightened cooperation?

Well, it depends on what sort of opposition that is.

Violent opposition to the Humanity First way of life will not be tolerated, as it is halting progress of society. It will be dealt with by the Humanity First Defensive Militia (HFDM) in hopes that the aggressors will be put into a correctional facility or, if the crime is very serious, to death, as soon as possible.

Peaceful opposition is very much welcomed in Humanity First. People can raise issues and Humanity First will gladly hear their opinions, and perhaps make some sort of compromise between the two differing sets of ideals.

Works for me.

Would you mind sharing a Skype or Yahoo Messenger contact by PM? You can find me on Skype as Desert Journeyman, and on YIM as Trenacker.

Top Bottom