Experimental NES - A 14 Day Narrative Experiment - Retired Players and IOTers Welcome

@Thy, Gatling guns ok? That's like 1860's and its why I had 2 people carry it.
Also, can I assume we're at day 3 now?

Hey,

Faustenburg! Faustenburg!

1. I read Thomas' story as a rantings of a dead man. Not a true reflection of what has happened or happening. The 1st line states he is dead. What is truth in a dead man's mind? But if the Queen is dead she is dead.

2. The Streetwatch is the local police force. Are the Gendarmes something different?

3. How about a notes section for story details. Such as who wears the Black & Red armbands?

4. So our time frame for each update is a day?

5. Primitive grenades. Sweet. I do believe they would be a little more then primitive. I like the idea of a primitive machine gun. I say if there is real world tech why not here. The use of the Black Balloon shows a good lvl of tech knowledge already. Believe me I researched Balloons for another NES and there is alot going on there. You know that different smoke creates different reactions in the balloon envelope? Bet you didn't. :D

6. Love'n all the stories.

Blaze Injun

@Blaze, the Gendarmerie are the military police, taking care of the Army, the Navy, the Royal Guards, and the nobility. Mostly based in the Grand District that surrounds the palace. :)

Uniform: Crimson top, white pants, black boots. Light blue overcoat. Symbol is a shield, within it a blue unicorn with a white mane.

--------

Day 3, 7:30 AM

Station #6 was not particularly important by any stretch. 100 Gendarmes typically operated out of it, but with the death of the King, only 20 remained. When word spread through the Grand that an organized force was still there though, it became a rallying point, and a trickle of Gendarmes came through. Many came individually, though a few came in groups, with the largest being about 15 men together. Their leader saluted Captain Altraius "Captain. I am Lieutenant Ronn Waldenstein, and I place myself at your disposal"

Altraius saluted in return "Good to have you Lieutenant. Am I the first ranking officer you have spoken to since the incident?" Waldenstein nodded "Very well then. What happened to your unit yesterday? Where is your Captain?"

"I'm not sure sir. Captain Krur attempted to link up with the Gendarmes at the docks yesterday, but I haven't heard from him since. We were at Station #3, but with so many deserters and being so close to the East Gate, it became indefensible. We heard about your unit here, and hoped that there was....well...anything really"

Altraius nodded. It made sense to try to seek out one's commanders. Still..."Have you heard of the declaration of the Republic?"

"I have sir. They say Huge killed His Majesty. We cannot let this usurper take over the nation."

"We will see Lieutenant. When Colonel Tayburn emerges, we will see what orders he gives. In the meantime, 120 Gendarmes are not going to storm the Palace."

Discipline had held for this long. And it held again here. "Very good sir. What shall we do until then?"

Altraius went to his desk, where a map of the Grand District lay unfurled. "We need to re-man the West Gate. Not just men, but cannon. We have a bit of grapeshot to use, but we cannot hesitate to kill if needed. Send some men to Stations 4 and 7 too, secure any ammunition and anything else of value."

Waldenstein saluted and left while Altraius went down to the basement of the Station. The two drunks that had been arrested he had set free; once it was assured that the vandal was a servant and not a noble, he was shot. Altraius did not have time or men to devote to guard duties. He had a few men bringing out the cannonballs and any other old ammunition they had down here. "Status?" he asked the men.

The three saluted "Captain, we have a bit down here, but most of the stuff has been down here for years. I don't think half of it would even go off"

Altraius cursed. The Gendarmerie had never needed much of this sort of thing. It was rare to even shoot once a year, even to practice. Had the crowd not been so tightly packed, he would have wagered they would have missed a good majority of the shots.

However, he did not have time to consider the situation, as a Gendarme rushed down the stairs calling for him. "Captain! Captain! Outside, Royal....something...Royal for sure though. Or is it Republican? Hundreds of 'em though, come quick! They said they need to speak with you!"

Christian Huge managed to regain his calmness. His coup was a success: most of the soldiers were loyal to him, Klaus Van had so far not made a statement against him and the Grand District and the palace were secured. The aristocrats and the rich were happy as long as the Republic ensured their interests. The Barons had become Ministers and the Dukes had formed an "Assembly of the People". Essentially, the Republic was mask for what really was a revival of the old regime. The King was sacrificed so the rich and aristocrats could keep their privileges and ensure their political survival. They knew that if they tried to keep the unpopular monarchy, the people and the soldiers would overthrew them. So, a fake Republic to appease the soldiers and the people was the best solution.

Christian Huge saw Commander-in-Chief Van Klong Junker coming towards him, accompanied by Minister Adolph Bismarck, a former Baron and distant relative of the King who, like many other Barons, had taken a position in the new regime. He was now Minister of Interior.

"Gentlemen", Christian Huge politely said. "What can I do for you?"

The first to speak was Van Klong Junker: "Most of the Royal Navy has declared it's support to the Monarchy and wants to move against us.

"Then crush the bastards!". Christian Huge rarely spoke in such manner and it showed his extreme anger. However, he soon managed to regain his calmness. "Send against them 1/5 of the army. However, before you open fire against them, make sure to negotiate and offer their Admiral a position in the government as Minister of the Navy. If he refuses, try to bribe the sailors. If this fails too, only then will you order the troops to move forward and crush them."

"Alright!"

Christian Huge then turned towards Minister Adolph Bismarck: "Sir, you have to send delegates to meet Klaus Van and offer him the position of Vice-President if he joins us. "

"But, President", replied Adolph Bismarck, "what shall we do if Klaus Van refuses to join us?"

"Civil war, sir. The nation shall be unified, either by peace or by war."

Christian Huge said goodbye and left. He was now going to meet some other Ministers and calculate his next moves. The Republic was to become his personal dictatorship.

OOC: Sorry if this is Waaaaaay too long ></endOOC

Day 3 8 AM

Altraius looked at the two negotiators with more than apprehension. The first that stood up was a Gendarme, with long blonde hair, wearing his full dress uniform "Captain Altraius I presume? Allow me to introduce myself. I am Captain Renault Holst of the 5th Grendarmerie Division. At your service." With a slight bow, he shook the outreached hand of Altraius. Altraius had seen Holst before, and though had never spoken with him directly he had heard a great deal of Holst; the Grendarmerie was not the largest of organizations, and one would be expected to have heard of one's fellow officers. Namely, Holst and his reputation for being incredibly corrupt.

Holst was not the first Grendarme to take a bribe and nor would he be the last. What was incredible about it was his level of involvement. Most were content to take a payoff to cover up a noble's particularly violent outburst on a servant, or maybe look the other way at illegal substances. But Holst had been seen with some rather....unsavory individuals. Holst was not a noble, or even a rich merchant. Yet he could afford a Captain&#8217;s commision in the Grendarmerie. Some rumors painted him borderline treasonous. Had their not been a war going on, he would have already been in a stockade. But there was a war, and now this.... He had taken Huge's bribe, no doubt.

Altraius then looked to the second negotiator, with his feet on the table. Wearing an artist's smock, he seemed to be daydreaming. Holst called back "Eisel, please."

The man, Eisel(?) seemed to momentarily snap out of his reverie before falling backwards to the floor. Holst sighed "Eisel, please, this is a serious matter"

Eisel chuckled as he dusted himself off. Holst motioned to the chair "Please, sit. We have business to discuss"

Altraius sat and looked at Holst "Captain Holst, would you care to tell me why you have men and cannons pointed at this Station?"

Holst chuckled "Please, no need for that. Call me Renault. Do you have a first name I can call you?"

"No."

Eisel raised his hand and spoke for the first time. It was a high pitched, almost girlish sounding voice, or rather like a man trying to sound like a girl "Is it Bernard?"

"No."

Eisel sighed "Phoo. I thought you looked like a Bernard. What aboutttttt.....Johann?"

"No."

Eisel put the back of his hand to his forehead "So stone cold! You wound me!"

Holst chuckled "Forgive my partner. What about your last name? Can I call you Altraius?"

"No."

Holst sighed "Very well Captain Altraius. The reason I have brought these men here is to ensure the safety of the Grand District and to protect the West Gate."

"It is defended Captain Hols-"

"Call me Renault, please"

"Captain Holst it is defended, as you may have heard"

"And I have! However, with the recent...disappearance....of Colonel Thayburn , I have been ordered by President Huge to ensure that the 6th Grendarmerie Division was prepared to serve our new Republic, whether in their life or in their death"

Eisel chuckled "Oooooh clever Captain Holst"

"Please Eisel, call me Renault"

Captain Altraius cleared his throat "The 6th Grendarmerie has no desire to play politics, only to defend the denizens of the Grand District"

Holst chuckled "A likely story. Unfortunately, that is not going to work today Captain Altraius. It&#8217;s a with us or against us sort of thing you see. If it helps, the &#8216;with us&#8217; option comes with a considerable cash bonus.&#8221;

Altraius shrugged &#8220;My Grendarme salary is not what I use to stay affluent. Perhaps that should be a prerequisite for being one, hm?&#8221;

Holst feigned mock pain &#8220;Ooooh pick on the tanner&#8217;s son. Haven&#8217;t heard that one before. Fine then, a patriot? Empress Alana has decided to restart the war. Tiverian troops are going to be crossing the border any day now. But oh no, you can&#8217;t be that much of a patriot. You didn&#8217;t buy an army commision, that would be dangerous for the Count&#8217;s son. Oh is it your oath?&#8221; Holst cleared his throat and said in a deep voice &#8220;To protect and serve His Majesty, King Alder the Third.&#8221; He chuckled &#8220;I think that part&#8217;s a bit of a wash now, don&#8217;t you&#8221;

Altraius clenched his fists. Punching this upstart and his artist pet would be satisfying, but it would likely cost him his life.

Eisel smiled a carnivorous grin, and his high pitched voice was replaced with a much more serious tone &#8220;Captain Altraius, let&#8217;s not play the fool here. 100 Grendarmes aren&#8217;t going to change anything. But you have so much potential. Your decisiveness. Yesterday was so Beautiful. Why throw that talent away?&#8221;

Eisel stood up and began walking around the room &#8220;The way you see it, you have two options. You can swear obedience to the man who killed the man you used to swear obedience to. I could see how that might be rough. Option two might be to join the rabble, but how long do you think it will be until someone blabs about the man who gunned down those poor innocent bystanders[/]? You&#8217;ll be lucky if they shoot you on the spot. I suppose there&#8217;s an option three of dying here and now, but you couldn&#8217;t be that stupid, could you?&#8221;

Before Altraius could answer Eisel jumped on the desk and leaned forward. His face was an inch from Altraius&#8217;s. &#8220;Or I suppose there&#8217;s one final way. Burn them all. Rebels, Republicans, they&#8217;re all traitors to you right? Well, you&#8217;re not gonna find that sweet SWEET revenge dying today. But, if you listen to me, help me out with a few teeensy-weeeensy problems I think I can help you out.&#8221; Eisel cartwheeled off the desk and smiled sheepishly again &#8220;Interested?&#8221;

Altraius turned to Holst &#8220;Who is this guy?&#8221;

Holst chuckled &#8220;An information broker. A bit odd Eisel is, yes. But he is right. There is a third option here. Work with us. Strike a blow against Huge one day, but not today. Honestly, this is the only way I see you living through this. With a clear conscience that is. I mean, you&#8217;re a murderer sure but you have &#8216;honor&#8217; right?&#8221;

Altraius nodded &#8220;What exactly does this entail?&#8221;

Holst chuckled &#8220;I can&#8217;t quite say that. But we have need for someone like you. The higher ups in particular are interested in you&#8221;

&#8220;But why?&#8221;

&#8220;As a scapegoat, my dear Captain&#8221; said Eisel in the back &#8220;Someone they can point to when the mob breaks through that gate&#8221;

Holst nodded &#8220;Exactly. They&#8217;ll kill as many mobs folk as they can, but they need a trigger man to hide behind if the rebels break through. How much better if it&#8217;s just one man? And you already have the credentials! Really, all we need from you is a few more West Gate&#8217;s and we&#8217;ll take care of the rest! And the best part is, Huge&#8217;s men will be EAGER for you to do it!&#8221;

Eisel clapped &#8220;Oh how marvelous it will be! They&#8217;ll call you the Bloody Baron!&#8221;

&#8220;He&#8217;s a Count, Eisel. Or rather the son of one&#8221;

&#8220;Ahh? What&#8217;s the difference?&#8221;

&#8220;Pretension mostly.&#8221; Eisel chuckled at that as Altraius stood up.

&#8220;If you think I&#8217;m just going to tarnish myself for Huge&#8217;s lackies and some vague plan of yours that probably doesn&#8217;t exis-&#8221;

&#8220;Oh but it does!&#8221; Eisel exclaimed &#8220;I&#8217;m sure you&#8217;re aware of the Princess Joanna?&#8221;

Joanna! he thought. He could not let them see&#8230;..&#8221;What of her?&#8221;

Eisel laughed, maddeningly so &#8220;The King&#8217;s eldest child.... what with the death of His Majesty and our little Prince Julian, Joanna is heiress to the throne. A storybook princess. And she&#8217;s alive! Happy day, Happy day! An actual breathing member of House Wierst, and the King&#8217;s own flesh and blood, not some third cousin TWICE removed! Ooooh Eisel can almost imagine it! It will be just like a story book! Who wants to fight for the cousin or the mother anyhow? And Eisel has her, and soon soon, she will appear, the savior of a country!&#8221;

Altraius stood up, clenching the table &#8220;Let me see her...the Princess Joanna&#8230;&#8221;

Holst nodded &#8220;Tonight. I promise you.&#8221;

&#8220;You might be lying to me.&#8221;

&#8220;I might be. But I am not. I know that&#8217;s not much of an assurance but that&#8217;s all I can say. And it&#8217;s either agree or die. There&#8217;s not really much choice here.&#8221;

&#8220;Suppose I turn you in to Huge? That way you die with me&#8221;

&#8220;You won&#8217;t.&#8221;

Altraius sighed &#8220;Tonight then.&#8221;

Eisel clapped &#8220;First though, a test! We need to be sure, you little blood knight you! We&#8217;re lining up a little demonstration for you again, this time at the South Gate. They want to retake the Azure District. The Hussars are lined up, ready to go but they need to thin the crowd or otherwise they&#8217;ll get carried off their horses. Some don&#8217;t want to shoot their starving countrymen. But you have, and I think you can do it again! It&#8217;s a domino effect, and if the noble captain starts shooting they all will! Fire a few volleys, take out the rabble, ect. ect. and tonight, you see that it was not in VAIN!&#8221; Eisel chuckled and composed himself "We can have the protest ready in 45 minutes. Or an hour? Even two if you need a bit more time?"

Altraius nodded. &#8220;Very well. Two hours. I'll get my men ready. But I&#8217;m keeping you by my side. You&#8217;re not going to dissapear after I&#8217;ve done your dirty work.&#8221;

Eisel nodded eagerly &#8220;Oh but my dear Captain!&#8221; and at that his darker, wolfish demeanor returned and in a low, husky voice proclaimed;

&#8221;I wouldn&#8217;t want it any other way.&#8221;

Christian Huge was speaking before the "Assembly of the People", a Council of 100 Nobles who had now become the "People's Representatives".

"For years, we have been humiliated, defeated in wars, bankrupted, having no food to eat. For years we had to live under the tyrannical rule of a Monarch who cared not for the nation's well being but for his well being. We have suffered too long. It is time for the birth of a Republic, a true Republic, that will stabilize the nation, crush the insurgents, end the anarchy and restore peace and stability to country!"

All 100 Nobles shouted with one voice: "Long Live the Republic! Long Live President Huge!".

Day 3, 11 AM

Captain Altraius stood stoically atop the South Gate. The situation was much less dire than yesterday. A full 100 man Gendarme force and six cannon faced the advancing crowd. The "Bloodied 'Black" banners flapped in the winds. At the bottom of the gate, the newly christened "1st Republican Hussars" stood by, ready for the charge. Sergeant Morrell saluted "Sir! The cannon are ready, and the crowd is nearly in range."

"Very good sergeant"

"But sir...." the sergeant looked furtively at Eisel, who was at this point dancing with a cannonball "Why don't we turn the cannon on Huge? Why are we helping him? He murdered our King!"

Altraius looked at his sergeant, careful not to let the astonishment show. The Grendamarie was truly a Royal unit, no matter what. Huge's bonuses had worried him, but perhaps he could still count on his unit after all...Or perhaps this was a ploy for the sergeant to out him as a traitor, and see an even bigger bonus. Altraius had to keep an even strain "Sergeant, when I give an order, I expect it to be obeyed. Why I gave the order is not your concern, but know that I do not give them lightly. Is that clear?"

The sergeant saluted "Sir!" and returned to his post. Good, thought Altraius. He couldn't afford any screw ups. Eisel returned over to Altraius and whispered " Do not worry my Captain. Your princess is safe outside the city, away from the clutches of the rabble or Huge. They can try all he likes but no one will /ever/ find her. Now focus! Your performance is about to begin!"

The protestors were in range now. Altraius shouted "Positions!" and his sergeants shouted for their men to take position, be it at cannon or rifle. Altraius took out his own rifle and selected his target. A young woman, perhaps a year or two younger than him. She was near the front of the line, goading on her fellow rabble. "Ready! Aim!" He paused. Killing these people. No. Not people. Traitors. This was his service to his country. Besides....Joanna..... Were he still in the Royal Guards...had they not been discovered.... he shook his head. He knew what he had to do.

He took a breath and shouted "FIRE!"

The first round crashed into the protesters. Screams of agony seemed to overwhelm the explosions, and Altraius shouted "NEXT LINE!" The next group of Grendameres took their positions. "READY! AIM! FIRE!" The next volley ripped through the lines even further, sending them into disarray. "GRENADES!" he shouted, and the Grendameres complied, causing further explosions to ripple throughout the crowd. "ONE MORE! THIS IS IT MEN, ONCE MORE!"

The men quickly loaded the cannons, eager for their final shot before they could retreat to safety "READY! AIM! FIRE!" Crying and panic replaced the screams as the protestors tried to retreat. Altraius shouted below "OPEN THE GATES"

The man below shouted "OPENING THE GATES!" and the officer at the ground shouted "SEND IN THE HUSSARS!"

The Hussars galloped through the confused crowd, cutting down the fleeing with their sabres. Half of the Grendameres cheered. The other half seemed horrified. Eisel though was laughing and screaming like a mad man

"GLORIOUS! GLORIOUS! The screams of a child, the anguish of a mother. The young man, his dreams destroyed in a moment! Oh Captain, I may call myself an artist, but this....THIS! This is a masterpiece!" Eisel laughed in delight "Oh Captain. You have performed beautifully. And to the letter of our agreement. Very well. Let us depart. You have earned the right to see your beloved princess."

OOC: Christos I don't mess with the characters you make. Please don't mess with mine. We all have stories we want to tell. Thanks.

Klaus Van was sitting in his make - shift tent together with his soldiers, as he was a man who imitated them. That way, he could bolster their moral by not making any differentations.

Indeed, there were many situations where he himself fought on the front lines, just like any infantry man would do. For after all, Klaus Van was no different than a common man, and the common man was no different than any other man. The declaration of Equal Rights by the philosophers of Entarika, a far away land that had achieved a republic dominated by the middle - class, served as his inspiration for his revolution against the King. Nevertheless, this did not lower in any way his education, which he held as a sacred thing, or his popularity with the merchants. As such, his reaction to the delegate sent by Christian Huge came to amaze exactly no one in the districts taken over by his small "army".

It also was of no suprise that Klaus Van despised the aristocracy with his living essence. Being part of a middle - class merchant family originating from Faustenberg, the Van family was often despised by the higher - classes and shunned upon, despite the fact that the Vans had toiled and, in the end, achieved much more than the aristocrats, who based their existence on a past legacy of people long dead and of no importance today, or atleast so thought Klaus Van. The people should rule by the might of a mix between wealth and popular vote, not by the "power" ancestors.

" May we speak with the one who names himself Klaus Van " said the delegates, confused that a leader of men would live in a place of such poverty and simplicity. " We are the delegates send by the President, Chris..."

" I have heard enough " he interrupted them. " If he has sent you here to convice me to join a fake movement, a movement by a hypocrat bend on destroying the true meaning of a "Republic" then return to him and report, like the soldiers of an unjust cause that you are. If he has sent you here so that he may surrender, then return back to him report my acceptance of a just victory, for the people and the soldiers want answers on his conspiracy against the Monarch. " replied to the delegates send by Christian Huge.

The delegates were more perplexed than ever before, encountering such a strange human, who truly believed the ideas of lands and governments foreign to that of the Monarchy. But they were both shrewd and stubborn, so they refused to leave and said the following words unto the rebellious commander, hoping to convice him to join their cause :
" Serve the Highest Mortal Power in Place, for doing so is good in the eyes of our Lord. Why do you Mr. Van, a man of reputed virtue, disagree with this sentence. Should you not be unfit in the eyes of the people to lead a life of divine spirituality when you plunge their lives in chaos and destroy the nation? "

The rebellious commander was now furious, but he knew that if he let himself or his men commit a crime against them, then indeed that would be used against him in the eyes of the common folk, who were kept in silence for so long. And so he replied :
" I say unto thee then, what is a worse sin? To serve the faith by fighting for its true meaning or to serve the faith by keeping the common people, the merchants, the priests, the soldiers and the homeless in the shadows of the aristocracy's vanity? Out of the two what is it most ideal to do? For, and I know this, that anyone versed on the matters of faith and knowledge would agree with my sentiments, I think the first is virtue, while the second is sin. Go back to where you belong, and leave us who you considered filthy and lower to our works! ".

And the delegates left, having failed to convice Klaus Van, a man of honesty in the eyes of the common folk, to join the Republic of Christian Huge.

OOC: Ok. I've edited my post.

OOC: Thank you :)

Spoiler :
OOC: Christos I don't mess with the characters you make. Please don't mess with mine. We all have stories we want to tell. Thanks.

Try being shot :p

And a note on that, I'm not sure if the update implies that happened yesterday or is going to happen today. I'm going to assume the latter as the stuff I wrote yesterday happened late a night before Cuthbert joined the pickets.

"The factories aren't working." There were few things in the world that could disturb Aribert Ord and this was not one of them. His servant looked slightly ruffled and uncertain but Ord had dealt with strikes before. He knew how to end them - send in the troops to break through the picket line and then hire in some extra hands: there are always more people looking for work. He took another mouthful of the lavish breakfast arrayed in front of him.

After swallowing he responded in his deep melodious voice "Get the army in, I'm sure even in this time of chaos they can spare me some favours. Unions and strikes are illegal we all know that - even if the king is dead. Have the other factories increase production to compensate"

"Sir, its not just a strike." The servant said "Its all the factories, all the workers. Jarrow, Irontown, Fitzpatrick Docks! All of the districts are up in arms! They have barricades and guns! Rumours are coming in that similar strikes are happening across the country - from the Gresham Mountains to Willum Mosse."

"There haven't been strikes in Willum Mosse since the Bowlton massacre. Take not heed of such rumours." the huge man shifted his weight behind the desk and gazed off through the window. "Have some strikebreakers infiltrate their ranks, get them to shoot the leadership, that'll calm them down."

It wasn't an unusual order coming from the fattest industrial cat in all of Fausten and the servant didn't look to perturbed by it. "I'll get on that right away sir." He left the room and Ord continued to consume the meal in front of him.

The rain had stopped at some point during the night, but Ord imagined that the streets were going to be thick with mud and covered in puddles. The sewers much be close to bursting at this point - not that his gargantuan breakfast was going to do anything but exacerbate that situation.

His servant came back in a moment later with a smile on his face. "Good news sir, it appears someone beat you to it. Reports have come in that the two leaders of the strike were both shot earlier this morning."

"Excellent" Purred Ord. He dismissed the servant with a wave of his hand and got back to some cold chicken.

Ord heard a slight patter of raindrops on the window flying into one of his famous rages he cried out "When will that damned rain stop?!" He threw a platter of sweetmeats at the window shattering it. The food landed in the street.

Tom Kentish had been looking for food for a good day or so by this point. His young ten year old body was quite fit so he didn't feel too bad yet but he knew his father was becoming worried about him. You can, I'm sure, imagine his excitement then as a platter of sweetmeats quite literally fell from the sky to his feet.

Tom had always liked looking through the shop windows of the bakeries that catered for the higher classes. The smells always seemed so wonderful and the delicacy with which they made the found astounded him. Why would someone go to all that effort to make something look nice when in a few bites it would all be gone? He picked up the platter and took a bite out of an odd rectangular thing with an intricate pattern in dark brown across the top. The inside was sweet and the pastry filling. The brown stuff was slightly bitter but at the same time it all just tasted wonderful.
He took a second bite and was similarly filled with Euphoria.

Then a knife went through his back.

Katie Gangel took the plate of sweetmeats now slightly spotted with blood and ran, stuffing her face as she did. It was the first food she'd had in days and it tasted marvellous. Sad that she had to kill that boy to get it. He'd looked just about her age too. Never mind, its not like one more boy will be missed in this city of the damned.

This was not a part of town that Aeneas frequented often. This was quite simply because it was a cesspool, the worst of all slums in the city&#8230; Yet it was neat. For all the lack of basic items, the streets were anything but hastily cobbled together, and even though the smell was nauseating, there was at least an effort to keep it localized, and not let it spill over into the rest of the city. A small girl walked up to Aeneas.
&#8220;How much fer tha&#8217; leather purse, misser?&#8221; she said, in a voice that sounded more like a death rattle.
&#8220;What would you use it for?&#8221; Aeneas instinctively grabbed the leather pouch, full of things that reminded him of his dead wife, closer.
&#8220;Well&#8230; it looks edible.&#8221;
&#8220;Have you no food?&#8221;
&#8220;No sir.&#8221;
&#8220;Who&#8217;s your leader?&#8221;
The girl looked down. &#8220;Boris Ringbach, of the Popular Republic of Ragenau, sir.&#8221;
&#8220;Have you ever met him?&#8221;
&#8220;Yeh, I know where he lives.&#8221;
&#8220;Could you take me to him?&#8221;
&#8220;Can I have your pouch?&#8221;
&#8220;Well&#8230; this pouch means rather a lot to me, although your reward shall come in time.&#8221;
&#8220;Thank you, sir! May God bless yer kind soul!&#8221;
The small child looked happier than ever.
Aeneas was going to become the leader of Ragenau. He could feel it.

(( Can we write stories for two or more characters so that we can flesh out the world more? ))

OOC: yes he has said that we can

Hey,

Faustenburg! Faustenburg!

1. I read Thomas' story as a rantings of a dead man. Not a true reflection of what has happened or happening. The 1st line states he is dead. What is truth in a dead man's mind? But if the Queen is dead she is dead.

Blaze Injun

For what it's worth, there can still be a movement around her, or an imposter claiming to be her. People don't know (if) she's dead.

Captain Hauge watched the Totenkopf division's first battalion stood in ranks in the barracks square. The lines were neat, the equipment clean, but past the initial inspection they would have failed. Many carried additional weapons, a hatchet here, a spare revolver there, and most had traded in their boots for something which wasn't ruined by mud. Parts of uniforms were missing, or improperly buckled so as to make the wearer more comfortable. They weren't parade troops: they were combat veterans who terrified any inspecting political officers.

Or, almost any.

General Rudolf Russ had commanded them, years before he'd been promoted out of any combat role into a place where he couldn't do any harm. He was a man and a half, and the delicate movements of his horse paid tribute to the superb pedigree and training that allowed it to bear his weight effortlessly. He had a little pencil of a moustache, some foreign style thought up by women, or a man who wanted to be a woman.

"His Excellency commands you to defend the Republic and our glorious nation to the threat posed by these counter-revolutionaries in the fleet!" Russ shouted, pointing his command baton vaguely above the heads of the battalion. His gaze, similarly, went nowhere: he wasn't so much commanding troops as performing in a play to an imaginary audience, where he played the role of the dashing military leader exhorting his obedient, though not as capable or bright, subordinates to great deeds.

"In the name of God, with the Grace of God, and on the shoulders of patriots we will crush the traitors to the Fatherland!"

Hauge looked at the other captains, drawn up in front of their companies. Nielsen kept a tight grip on his sword, staring straight ahead. Fredericks was too far to read much of, but as Hauge looked Fredericks looked across too: they were too far for their eyes to meet and communicate, but the act itself showed enough.

Indecision.

"There is already a stain growing in the heart of my old command! You were given orders before that you refused to follow, hiding like cowards from unarmed rioters. If there's any man among who who lacks the conviction to obey orders and do his duty, who would shy away from obeying lawful commands, then step forward now!"

That's a cue, if there was one. Hauge stepped forward, two quick paces. His good hand swept his cap off his head and tucked it under his arm.

"Sir! On behalf of the officers and soldiers of the Third Guards Division, 1st Battalion, I must ask on what authority these orders are given!" His stump hand raised in a mocking salute.

Russ sputtered and rounded on him, trying to communicate his anger through the movements of his horse, which was more concerned with showing off how excellently it would perform in dressage than intimidating a junior officer.

"On the authority of Christian Huge, savior of the nation and President of the Republic!"

Hauge had a reply to that, but a soldier behind him beat him to it. "We took the King's shilling, we did, not Huge's money!" Someone shouted from the ranks.

"The King is a traitor!" General Russ spun his horse again, facing the ranks. His face was beet red, and not entirely from the cold. "The King is dead!"

That was another cue, and the response bubbled up from Hauge's lungs: "Long Live the King!" Soldiers echoed him, fuelling the sputtering anger that Russ channelled. He drew his revolver, a gorgeous piece with gold engravings. He delicately drew back the hammer, a rough, unpracticed action.

"Death to Traitors!" Russ said, sweeping the revolver across the front ranks of the battalion. Many soldiers took a step back. But the gun settled on Hauge, the elected representative of the mutinous fraternity.

Crack.

Russ's horse reared, frightened by the loud noise. Russ himself fell from its back, clutching his neck.

Hauge looked and saw Wulff, bloodshot eyes the only thing out of place in one of the few immaculate uniforms on the field. He held his own service revolver, clean and well-cared for, smoking in his hand. Every eye in the battalion was turned towards him, shock, awe, and disbelief mingling.

That was another cue, and Hauge stepped forward. He tossed the cap, with the captain's insignia, aside and swept the general's baton off the ground. Then he grabbed Russ's horse by its reins, and the animal calmed at the feel of the familiar presence. He gestured towards one of his subalterns. Impressively, he had a full beard, which he kept well-groomed. The kind of beard that other men would envy, and which may secure him promotion on its own.

"Send messengers to the other battalions, and the rest of the army."

"And what should I say, commander?" the subaltern asked. Commander, a vague title. One who commands. Not captain. But how much command? Time to demonstrate. Hauge mounted the horse with an easy motion, such a light weight taking the animal by surprise. But it was a good steed, and it did the opposite of complain.

"The King is Dead!" Hauge shouted, cradling the command baton in his bad arm while his good hand controlled the horse. The animal responded well, and quickly, having been trained to understand much less decisive actions.

"The King is Dead! Long Live the King!" The battalion responded, in unison.

A counter-revolution.

"So, Captain Hauge has revolted, eh?", Christian Huge asked.

"Yes, sir!", was the reply of Commander-in-Chief Van Klong Junker.

"And Klaus Van refused cooperation?", Christian Huge asked once again.

"Yes, President.", said Minister Adolph Bismarck.

"Great! The whole thing is coming down like a pyramid of cards."

"But, sir, we still have a lot of military units loyal to us!", Van Klong Junker protested.

"Indeed. I want you to send troops to arrest this Hauge! Also, try to bribe his men. Give them a lot of money."

"I will, sir."

Christian Huge dismissed his two advisers and was left alone, in deep thinking. Was this really the end for him? No! He still had the support of the aristocracy, the rich and a large part of the army! He laughed. But his laugh was full of sorrow and pain.

He heard a sound. The sound of someone knocking the door. He said: "Come in!".

A soldier came, accompanying a young woman, no older than 19. The woman was quite a beauty and her movements were graceful.

"Maria!", Christian Huge exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

Maria was actually the daughter of a poor shopkeeper. Once a soldier had tried to steal her father's shop. Christian Huge was passing by and stopped the man. Despite an age gap of almost 20 years, Christian and Maria fell in love with each other.

After the coup and the King's death, chaos consumed Maria's neighborhood. Worried for her safety, Christian Huge had send soldiers to search for her.

Maria rushed towards him with tears in her eyes.

"Are you alright?", Christian Huge asked.

"My....my brother volunteered for Klaus Van."

"Do not worry. I will make sure that he is not killed."

"I....have to leave."

Christian Huge was shocked. "Where are you going?!"

"I have to follow my brother. Anyway, I have also pledged to help Klaus Van's cause."

"But...but they are rebels who shall soon be crushed!"

"I am sorry, but I want a real democracy not a new monarchy."

Maria left the room. The soldier was about to stop her, but with a sign of his eye, Christian Huge stopped him. So, even the woman he loved had betrayed him. He sighed. He had to calculate his next moves. He had to win back popular support. Another soldier rushed into the room.

"Sir, I have brought you the documents you asked for."

"Good."

Those documents contained a list of the soldiers in all regiments and a list of the gold and other treasury owned by the government. He was going to melt down several jewels of the Royal family, including the Crown, in order to mint coins and buy the loyalty of the soldiers. The list of the soldiers also showed their financial situation and family background. Those soldiers who were poor and came from the lower classes would of course be more easily tempted by wealth than others. Lastly, he was going to send spies to spy at his Ministers and the Nobles. He did not wanted to face any betrayal from them.

Dear Father,
Dear Mother,
Dear Wife and Children,
Dear Assorted Members of the Van Family,
This is my only advice for you. Run. Run for your lives. Flee the city of Faustenburg, and leave for the blessed lands of Entarika, for here you will be hunted and executed because of my actions, a fact that I could not bare to live with. Leave for a better future, a future where the aristocrats no longer forbid a bloody wage for which we worked hard , a just trial that we rightfully deserve, a plate of food to sustain us through the day that is not Kremeltessen ( a kind of traditional soup of the poor of Faustenburg ). And after you have dodged those who would wish to be your captors, and when you have managed to leave a land that is about to plunge itself in a bloody civil war, remember this: Do not ever say anything about the situation here to the Entarikans or anyone that might wish to know. For should they know, they will interfere, and whether or not their goals are righteous, in the end our movement will be vilified and hunted by poor and rich alike. Tell them that you are free merchants of descent from the nearby oligarchy of Venets. In the need of all things, change your name too, for the purpose you are serving is holier than a name with no meaning attached to it. And for the love of the Lord, do not look back. Create a new life, knowing that my men and I will be frail in body, but immortals in spirit.
With love,
Klaus

Top Bottom