Deity/Domination or Violent Culture/Large Map

consentient

Domination!
Hey if there are other interested players who enjoy my play style, winning by Domination or a mix of conquest and culture, and you'd like to join me in playing on a Large map on Deity, leave a message here and maybe we can get something going?

Well in the course of playing, I'll happily impart as much knowledge as I can, as well as always being receptive to new tips from others, of course :)

I'd welcome that. Thing is, I kind of shifted because I don't really have the time to watch an entire LP anymore, not even in multiple takes

Same here. I could get better, probably, if I watched all of Acken's videos, but finding the time is impossible. What do you mean 'shifted'? Shifted to what?

OK well I'll go ahead and fire up a map. Others can join later if they want, but for now we can do a 2-person SG as a nice introduction. Wanna pick the civ?

OK, I'm in. We really never finished our post mortem on the last game. I think one of our big mistakes is that we didn't discuss the early decisions enough - big, game changing decisions such as social policies, pantheons, and settling locations. Because we didn't come to consensus, as a team we were all over the place.

One of my philosophies is that since every game is different, there isn't necessarily a cookie cutter method that you play every game with. Every decision has trade-offs that have to be considered. Some decisions have a clear cut path based on the situation. Others not so much and those decisions are critical.

Fantastic. The idea here is for conquest. So Domination or wide culture if Domination looks too tricky or if we prefer spamming Archaeologists. I reckon America might be an interesting civ, but am open to suggestions. If you like, we can do some more post mortem on France here if the others aren't posting on the other thread. Either way, I don't mind, and I'm glad to have you on board.

Oh, and one more thing, I'd like to go for 20 turns this time. Cool?

20 turns each turn set? That's a bit much.

How about 25, then 15, thereafter 10 turns each? Turn zero doesn't count so you stop on a multiple of ten.

If we are selecting our civilization, we should select one that has strong renaissance or industrial era unique units. My reasoning here is that anything with an ancient or medieval UU would be wasted. At deity, the AI has such a strong early advantage that we couldn't make effective use of an early UU.

Yes, I like your thinking. So we're looking at America, Ottomans, Russia or Sweden. I don't mind any of those.

They're all going to be quite decent, but America will give us the best start.

We can maybe reduce the number of turns later if need be, but not much will need to happen for the first round of turns. So maybe 20 to begin with, then 15 after NC then 10 after T130ish (when the renaissance units come online). When we get stuck into long wars, we will have to make detailed notes of where the troops moved - e.g. "That minuteman got smashed and has 1HP, just to let you know".

I know you liked the idea of Random civ, and I don't mind that in general, but I really like wide violent culture and domination so we should definitely pick.

Some civs that would meet that criteria are:

America
Austria - Not a fan of the unique ability
Germany
Morocco
Ottomans
Poland - might be too overpowered
Russia - Unique ability is powerful
Sweden

China and the Chu-Ko-Nu is worth considering.

Austria = no way, terrible civ

Germany = yeah, ok, add them to the list, forgot about them somehow, even though they're one of my fave civs!

Morocco = no way, very shat

Poland = way too OP

China are OK, and CKNs are nice, but I play with XBs all the time and would like to play with different units if we can.

So that narrows it down to:

America
Germany
Ottomans
Russia
Sweden

Do you want all the rest to be random or should we pick map type and opponents? I would prefer random.

I think Ottomans or Sweden would be best because of the timing of the UUs and because they have two.

I think we should choose Map Type but not opponents. My vote is for America. Which of your two faves do you wanna vote for? And ST, who do you fancy?

Well, I'm yet to see the Jannisaries in full swing and Ottomans have a much more badass war tune but in direct comparison, America brings more to the table, so I guess I'll go for George

I like the 20,15,10 turn limit. It should mean that we all get to work in the buildup and in the curbstomp that will follow. I don't really like the rest much in that regard

OK I'll fire something up with GW.

Continents or Fractal?

Scratch that, fractal might be really weird on Large size. We'll go with Continents.

Bugsy as you lost the vote, would you like to choose the batting order, and more specifically would you like the honour of going first?

Or would you like to see the start location before you choose? ;)

More importantly, when do we agree on a gameplan?

A 3 city Liberty CB rush iss the only best way I know how

Top Bottom