Sweden gifting

Rustydog

Chieftain
Can someone explain the mechanics of Sweden gifting a Great Person to a city-state? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for your help.:confused:

Two ways:

1. Go to the CS's diplo screen, click on Give a Gift, then Gift a Unit, navigate the gift-box cursor to where the GP is and click the GP (best if the GP is on a tile by itself). 3 turns later the GP will arrive at the CS and you will get your 90 influence.

2. Move the GP into the culture borders of the CS, click on the GP's additoinal actions button and then select Gift for immediately 90 influence.

Now all we need is an explanation for why you would ever want to do this(or for that matter, play Sweden).

It virtually guarantees you'll be allies, which will go a long way in the World Congress. Particularly for Great Merchants, Great Generals, and Great Admirals are probably worth just as much if not more being gifted. Great Prophets, after the first few, falls under this same category.

Capture enemy Prophets during war and gift those to city states. Or just use your own Prophets after you have spread religion three times.

Now all we need is an explanation for why you would ever want to do this(or for that matter, play Sweden).

Because you can give all sorts of GP, Generals, Admirals, Writers, Engineers, pretty much everything and if you time that well, you will win a Diplo-win over Alex before Globalization ;)

Also you can get rid of those pesky Great Admirals you always disband any way.
And even the extra Great Generals that always just stand around doing nothing after big wars.

When you add everything up, its 1-3 CS from Prophets, 1-2 from Great Admirals and maybe 1-2 from Great Generals.... thats ally with 3-7 CSs! For free! And thats usually a minimum.

I thought the same thing until coasting to some of my easiest victories in Civ V ever. I even had Diplo victory turned off (or would have won that first).

To answer your first question, to ally up with City-States, thereby granting you insane amounts of Science, Culture, Food, and Faith (and the odd Military Unit.)
To answer your second question, because Sweden is one of the best Civs in the game (you can win any victory condition with them), but is completely and utterly overlooked.

Getting a CS to ally with you is a trivial issue. Between using early military diligently to do quests, spies rigging elections/coups, donating the large amounts of cash you will have late game, pledging protection, patronage tree shenanigans etc.

Every game I play I end up allying with most CS anyhow, the big exceptions being ones that are allied with Civs I'm at war with.

Donating ONE great admiral for 90 influence does not seem like a UA worth bothering to me.

As for donating Generals, Writers, Engineers: No. No and HELL NO.

The citadels you get from a General can be the deciding factor between taking that enemy city 10 or 20 turns earlier and swinging the whole war your way. I don't even think I need to say anything about Writers and Engineers. There's no way you can justify the opportunity cost of losing out on the political treatise/production bonuses

There are a bunch of civs that are very much focused on one type of victory, Sweden is such a civ. Sure you can win any type of victory with Sweden not just a diplo-win, just as you can win a diplo-win with Attila. If you go for a diplo-win, you don't need every single GP you got (and Sweden get more of these, usually). You only need a decent amount of tourism (for defence), you only need tech fairly into the endgame combat techs (depending on your enemies), for Engineers, well those wonders that exist in the endgame are few that benefit a diplo-win so. Since you need friends you will only go to war with friends (against a common foe) so at most, you will only need one general.

If you go for a Science win, then the same can be said about writers and generals but here you will probably need your engineers and scientists but the rest can go.

For domination victory you can still send your writers, merchants and other crap down to the CS.

The only bad victory for Sweden is cultural. Here you actually need all your writers and artists and such. But since you will go for Airports and then towards the internet there are still GP that you can send.

Edit: This all depends on what type of player you are. There are players that just want everything. They have a tourism of 800+, not because they want to win a cultural-win, but because they want everything and can't let go (these people usually come to the forums and rant about that they have won a cultural-win but they intended a science-win). Then we have players that can see what they need and have the guts to let go of what they don't.

Don't knock it until you try it (though I agree with you about burning writers and engineers on CS gifts).

Sweden is a great domination civ, particularly post-patch when Warrior Code will boost GG generation by 50%. While maintaining friendships with distant AI civs (for +10% great person generation per DOF), make eternal war on your immediate neighbors, capturing (and gifting) their Great Prophets and generating more GGs than you can use on the battlefield. Yes, a few citadels are fine, but that assumes you need citadels (sometimes useful on offense to get to a particularly difficult city location, but if you are focused on citadels for defense, you're playing Sweden wrong). Particularly effective are GP and GG gifts to militaristic CSs that border your enemy -- a stream of gifted units (including UUs) for you and a troublesome CS army to distract your enemy. Roll with highly promoted Caroleans (with March) -- much fun.

I thought the same thing until coasting to some of my easiest victories in Civ V ever. I even had Diplo victory turned off (or would have won that first).

Yeah, if it weren't for the new tundra start bias, I'd argue Sweden is among the best now. It's a bit of a gamble, but I got the Glory of God reformation belief to purchase any great person with faith, which helped even more (I could just cycle through them to buy whatever was cheapest to give away).

Top Bottom