Increased agression in recent BNW game

OK, when I first got BNW, I confess that I was one of those complaining about the lack of wars in the game, I must say that my most recent game (Prince Difficulty as Ethiopia) has really dispelled that fear. I've only just moved into the Middle Ages (around 430AD) & I've already seen several wars breaking out-wars that have actually involved 1 or more cities changing hands-& I too was drawn into a war in order to stay in good favour with Poland (well that & I felt he was justified).

What was also interesting is that, though both Attila & Ghengis were in the game, they were *not* the ones who started the wars. Indeed it turns out it was *LIZZY* who started wars against *two* of her neighbours (which is why I felt justified in joining in Poland's war against her).

The last interesting thing I note is that Liz was willing to give up an entire city (York, Size 7) just in order to make peace with me. I actually didn't want it, so took her furs instead ;-).

Just thought that was a story worth recounting :).

Yours,

Aussie.

Did you play with the Fall Patch beta enabled?

Who are the most aggressive leaders anyways, is there a list anywhere?

I played my last game with Alexander, Attila, Shaka, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Assyria and Carthago.

The world never ever saw peace for more than 10 turns. Can I get that even higher? Sadly, not one of them attacked me, they all were at each others throats and half the civs were elminiated by the time I won a DV.

Even with stock BNW, it's easy to have AI aggression if you expanded at all. But the problem was (IMO) that they more or less left you alone if you stayed with 3-4 cities in the early game. And given that that type of start seems almost optimal anyways there seemed to be little good reason to waste money and production on an effective military.

The beta patch seems to have upped the chances of being attacked a bit, but I still think I'm able to get away with a 3-4 city tradition start with little to no military for too long most of the time. Occasionally I get called on it now (which is a good thing!), but I can usually coast through to Industrial or beyond before really having to worry about a significant military.

Isabella is still super pissy when I founded and took a NW. Then again, I think she was always like that before the beta.

I got attacked by Dido even when I only had two cities today and she was sorta faraway from me. Her army got instantly routed though.

Their level of aggression is very closely related to the number of units they have. In the upcoming patch most people will experience more attacks because the AI is better at maintaining its armies.

Its possible Lizzie got a lucky start with some gold and extra production and so had a lot of units ready to damage the other civs.

A civ that gets boxed in and wants to expand will often rapidly grow on the aggression scale as well.

If this happened without the patch, then nothing changed. It was always like that and some games just went more peaceful than the others. I never complained about militancy of BNW, though it is lower than in GnK.

Speaking about the patch, I think that something changed in calculation of military power. AI seems to value outdated and archery units much less when considering DoW. Alexander attacked me even though I had large army. He was close to annihilating me but with archery units being extremely overpowered in human hands, he is already on permanent vacations in Hades. I was also kinda shocked when my composite bow-oriented army was rated at 600 "pointy sticks" by the game, while only slightly larger English army composed mostly of spearmen and some swords was rated at over 2.000.

I just finished a game on Emperor where I didn't get attacked once. I forced my religion as world religon, I forced my ideology as world ideology (I was the only one with it), I even converted Rome and Carthago with Great Prophets. They denounced me for it, but no one else took notice.

Shaka, Monty, Attila, Genghis, Caesar, Dido, Assyria and never was I at war as I achieved all three victory conditions simultaneously. I did everything to annoy them short of just denouncing all of them.

They were perfectly fine with murdering each other as I became culturually influental over them and bought all city states that weren't taken.

And since I had +2 vision scouts set up here and there, I knew they had MASSIVE armies whenever they weren't at war.

oh yeah, Fall patch enabled.

Don't want to give the wrong impression. I am loving the increase in wars...not to mention having the other major powers seeking me out to assist them :).

Top Bottom