Taking Out Civs Early On - How?

Just remember all ranged units cant fire over hills, forest, mountains, or jungle(except artillery etc...). If you place your ranged units on hills then they can fire over hills, forest, and jungle.
If you have forest adjacent to your city don't cut it down and fortify melee units on hills within your territory.
If you build the Great Wall then all his units take 1 extra mp so catapults/trebuchets/cannons will be especially vulnerable as they take 1 mp to set-up.

Hello Phillip,

Thank you for your response. I will remember this!

I am faced with a neighbor in my new Arabia game that has the Great Wall. He actually has the Great Wall surrounding his entire Civ. Maybe I am not recalling correctly, but I really didn't notice much difference when a Civ had a Great Wall or not, when I attacked Cities within it. If I want to take out a Civ which has a Great Wall, is there a different City-attack tactic?

Regards,

Marc

If you can isolate a city without a ranged unit in it it gets a lot more feasible. That is usually a stretch though outside of seeing an opportunity to cut off the AI while it is positioning.

One thing I do about once a game since I figured it out is this:
If you have an enemy city with only 1 unit of border away from your border you can put a citadel right next to it and keep the citadel from being destroyed by having ranged units 2 hexes from it. The AI goes nuts in that scenario. It will throw away entire armies trying to both defend the city and kill the citadel. The citadel kills any ranged defender in the city (makes no sense to me). It really should right off the city as undefendable, but whenever I do it the AI tries to defend the city and loses unit after unit. If you get that situation going often the AI is so weakened lots more will fall, so keep an eye out for it.

The next best thing is to citadel where it doesn't touch the city, but so its zone of control is next to the city. It makes a bit easier to break it. It probably wouldn't be that good, but the AI again can be baited into the citadels zone of control while trying to defend the city, and you inflict way more casualties than you should.

If you can isolate a city without a ranged unit in it it gets a lot more feasible. That is usually a stretch though outside of seeing an opportunity to cut off the AI while it is positioning.

One thing I do about once a game since I figured it out is this:
If you have an enemy city with only 1 unit of border away from your border you can put a citadel right next to it and keep the citadel from being destroyed by having ranged units 2 hexes from it. The AI goes nuts in that scenario. It will throw away entire armies trying to both defend the city and kill the citadel. The citadel kills any ranged defender in the city (makes no sense to me). It really should right off the city as undefendable, but whenever I do it the AI tries to defend the city and loses unit after unit. If you get that situation going often the AI is so weakened lots more will fall, so keep an eye out for it.

The next best thing is to citadel where it doesn't touch the city, but so its zone of control is next to the city. It makes a bit easier to break it. It probably wouldn't be that good, but the AI again can be baited into the citadels zone of control while trying to defend the city, and you inflict way more casualties than you should.

Really good to know, Qutsemnie. Thank you!

Well, I used a General to Citadel a patch next to Siam to "culture bomb" his adjacent two beautiful, plantation sugar hexes; instantly giving me eight happiness and four GPT. Yes! It will be a long while before I see another General, to try your tricked-out idea.

Thanks again!

Marc

You bring alot of troops.

Fighting an opponent who has the Great Wall before you you research Dynamite(Artillery) is hard. As most ranged units only have 2 mp so you can't have all your ranged units 3 hexes away(to avoid the city bombardment)-> move in and fire in the same turn.
Ranged units are very vulnerable to attack, especially if the target civ has Oligarchy and has a unit garrisoned, even more so if they are an era ahead of your units.

In short build the Great Wall, if you are beaten to it wait until you research Dynamite and can build Artillery.

Top Bottom