Warhammer Version 1.4

Nope, nothing to do with sprites, I think (though I'm still unclear as to what exactly Spites is supposed to represent - something to do with the magic of the Oak of Ages).

Without actually reading the whole thread, noticed there was a "spites" resource and "spite" promotion.... Isn't is supposed to be "sp*r*ite? (sprite)? Just wondering if it was mispelled in the mod, too.

hehe yes that is a little confusing i though the same too at first. in the Warhamemr fantasy rulebook for woodelves any unit of woodelvs may be upgraded with a 'Spite' (pretty much the same as a 'sprite' in Real life mythology, just by a different name.)these 'spites' give different benefits, ie grant the unit a magical attack, allow a ranged attack, grant magic resistance, may be sacrificed to kill a single enemy modle (not unit), allows fear, etc.

so i figured the easyest way to represent spites in Civ is via promotions. im actually tempted to change the automatic +10% strength +10% magic resistance to a series or purchasable promotions that do a range of effects (ie +1 poison strength, grant a ranged attack, magic resistance etc)

------------------

And regarding the upload of the mod, i have a power failure at some point last night and the upload was screwed :angry: so im having to upload it AGAIN... should be up in 7 hours should there be no stuff ups...

Isnt most of the size the artpak? I dont believe there were any major art changes so for now could you just upload everything non-art? All here on the forum right now have the game already installed. BTW, does 1.4 have an installer like the previous versions?

no the biggest part of the upload is the soundpack. im reuploading the whole mod though to start fresh. please bear with me, im sorry about the wait :(

also i dont know how to make an installer, so im afraid you will have to unpack the .zip file manually

Finally the mod is uploaded and avaliable for download. unfortunately the soundtrack bombed out so i will have to try upload that again *grrr* but at least you can play the mod now (hopefully)

EDIT: regarding patch a, the proposed Asrai promotion will mess up a lot of other promotions, Elf Slaying, Fear Elf etc, because if woodelves get a different promotion they are not affected by fear elf or elf slaying.

what if we had 2 promotions... generic elf promotion whos only use is for other promotions effects (elf slaying, fear elf etc) and then the other one, Asrai, Asur and Druchii?

The simpler solution, if you really want to keep the mechanic, is just to change the "Hates Elves" promotion to give +10% vs elf, +10% vs wood elf.
And change "fears elves" to give -10% vs elf, -10% vs wood elf.

Much easier than cluttering things up with even more promotions.

The simpler solution, if you really want to keep the mechanic, is just to change the "Hates Elves" promotion to give +10% vs elf, +10% vs wood elf.
And change "fears elves" to give -10% vs elf, -10% vs wood elf.

i dont think there are 2 empty tags for that in the promotioninfos file... will take a look...

The new version fails to load for me (and I just deleted the old one, too...).
I get "GFC error: failed to initialise the primary control theme." when trying to load the mod.

I'll delete it and redownload to test it the download was corrupted somehow.

*edit*
Redownloaded, reinstalled, same bug.
Are there some missing files or something?

I am correct that this should function entirely by itself as its own mod, in its own folder, right?
Can anyone else get it working?

@PL: I think there is an installer program in the utility programs forum. If there isnt, I;m sure Ploeperpengel wouldnt mind you asking him.

i checked the files i uploaded again, an they work fine. im downloading to see if they got broken in the upload...

@ Ajidica: ill take a look and see if i can work out this installer shinannygans... but its really not that hard to extract manually :p

(extract Warhammer_1.4.zip in your BTS/Mods folder first, then extract Warhammer_1.4_Soundtrack.zip in the same location. done.)

(extract Warhammer_1.4.zip in your BTS/Mods folder first, then extract Warhammer_1.4_Soundtrack.zip in the same location. done.)

Yeah, thats what I did. Tried it twice (two separate downloads).

Can anyone else confirm that the build works from the download?

Worked fine for me (at least a "Play now!" start did) - both with and without the sound. However, I'm not sure the sound was working - there was an error message saying that "Could not find[insert some random music file here]." I keep Civ muted anyway (I like to listen to MY music while playing, thank you), so someone else will have to confirm that.

This may be a bad place to ask this, but I've never actually played a full game of Warhammer - I DL'ed the last version but was stuck on FFH, so never tried it much - and I'd like to play the actual world map, not a random one. However, that map is (was?) flawed with a CTD. Has this/will this be fixed?

And, as long as I'm making unreasonable demands ("Give me your peanuts!" - "What peanuts?" - "GIVE THEM TO ME!!!" - "Yes, of course!" :crazyeye:), is there anywhere to go to figure out the wierd stuff in Warhammer? The UU's are pretty easy to figure out, the UB's too - but many of the spells are obscure, who knows what the Orcs are doing, some of the other civs may be crazy too, and NONE of the World Improvements say anything. I'm scared to try out a game... :eek:

Hmph.... no idea why it isn't working or me. I'll try it again at some point and then try a full civ reinstall. Probly wont' get a chance for a few days, too much RL work to do.

The warhammer world scenario is probably broken by the new version. Many people reported finding it broken with the previous version, though it still worked fine with me. It will be worked on at some stage, no doubt.

The documentation is still pretty sketchy at this point, particularly for magic. Some of the spells you can figure out from their tooltip text, some are fairly self explanatory from name or effect if you try them, some you can figure out by looking up the appropriate promotions, and some, well, I still have no idea what they're supposed to do :)

As for orcs; many of their units have the "animosity" promotion, which causes them to sometimes go rogue or fight each other when multiple units with animosity in a stack. If you get a great general (warboss) then you can add it to a unit and get the Discipline promotion; animosity effects will not happen in a stack with a Discipline unit.

Many/most of the factions are still pretty incomplete at this point, too. The best factions to play with are probably the High Elves, Dark Elves, Empire, Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea and then Wood Elves and orcs/goblins/hobgoblins to a slightly lesser extent. The other factions are all pretty empty atm.

Top Bottom