Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

hi, i'm a complete newbie to this game and to the forum so i hope you bear with me. i'm trying to find out - how can i get the "expert" immigrants to do their jobs and how can i get them working please? thank you

On the map screen select your expert when he is at your colony and use the 'change profession' icon to select the job you want him to do. You can do this in the colony screen also, click and drag him to the appropriate building (eg a master distiller into the rum distiller house, however to produce rum you need to supply your colony with sugar).

For a master rancher you will need to build a stable first.

when visiting a village for the first time with a scout, you'll find what they want to trade. however, if I don't write down what they want to buy, then going to the village a second time I can't talk to the chief and don't know what they will trade for.

Is this significant? Will they just buy anything, or give better prices for the main "want"? Also, is there somewhere I can find what the villages want to trade for AFTER visiting them.

And why can you talk to the chief more than just once? Seems silly to me.

on the main map...look at 1 of your citys.....it say the name of your city on top
and what your building on the bottom...and the little icon off to the side is a pic
of what your building....

now look at an indian village you have visited and actually talked to the chief....

on top is the name of the village...on bottom is the profession they will help turn
a colonist(sp) into...and the little icon off to the side is what they will pay more for....
they do however change once they get enough of a certain item...

on top is the name of the village...on bottom is the profession they will help turn
a colonist(sp) into...and the little icon off to the side is what they will pay more for....
they do however change once they get enough of a certain item...

I didn't notice this before, I'll have to take a look. I was wondering the same thing as to how we were supposed to remember what they wanted.

How do you create Jesuit Missionaries and elder statesmen? Can you only buy these units? Once you have one, can you train others via the schools?

How do you create Jesuit Missionaries and elder statesmen? Can you only buy these units? Once you have one, can you train others via the schools?

Definatly you can train elder statesmen in schools (they are the only profession I train in my cities). I expect you can with Jesuit missionaries, but I would be surprised if it was a good idea.

AAjus[LTU];7339427 said:
If I build a colony on a tile with 2 silver and 4 ore resources, will my colony produce only ore?

Place your worker on the peak and then double click him. You will then be given the choice of having him mine silver or dig ore.

Place your worker on the peak and then double click him. You will then be given the choice of having him mine silver or dig ore.

I think he means the tile you found your settlement on. It will produce both goods. However, one can't found colonies on peaks.

Ok, so I am at the diplomacy page with my Galleon. It has 400 guns, and I only want to sell the Indians 100 guns, how do I seperate the goods at the diplomacy page? I have tried Shift and EVERYTHING, to try and drag the 100 guns down, but every time i even click on it, 400 guns drop. I am sorry Chief Wakakakaka, I dont want to give you 400 guns for 500gold, maybe a 100 though...

Ok, so I am at the diplomacy page with my Galleon. It has 400 guns, and I only want to sell the Indians 100 guns, how do I seperate the goods at the diplomacy page? I have tried Shift and EVERYTHING, to try and drag the 100 guns down, but every time i even click on it, 400 guns drop. I am sorry Chief Wakakakaka, I dont want to give you 400 guns for 500gold, maybe a 100 though...

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any such option when trading in a native village. You have to offer it all, even if both your cargo holds are full of the same produce. I dare say it's due to careless programming.

Instead of left clicking and offering it all, can you right click? Or after you offer it, can you right click to adjust it? I assumed it would work the same way as editing money in a trade offer.

There is no possible way to change the number of goods you want to deal in the diplomacy page.

Look for better in this fred

In Colonization I only see 5 of the 8 experts. Did I load something incorrectly? Thanks

In Colonization I only see 5 of the 8 experts. Did I load something incorrectly? Thanks

Some of the experts (Expert Sugar/Tobacco/Cotton Planter, I think) can only be trained in Native American settlements, not bought from Europe. So while you can, say, pay gold to attract an Expert Fisherman, in order to create an Expert Cotton Planter unit, you'll have to first scout out native villages to see which ones train which experts and then move a colonist unit there to "Learn a Skill".

Welcome to CFC, and let us know if you have more questions! :goodjob:

I noticed in the founding fathers page that Chief Powhaten (i think that's it) offers +50% :strength: to Converted Natives. But in the Civilopedia, Converted natives cannot take up militia or dragoon professions. Massive oversight on the part of Firaxis, or am I missing something?

I noticed in the founding fathers page that Chief Powhaten (i think that's it) offers +50% :strength: to Converted Natives. But in the Civilopedia, Converted natives cannot take up militia or dragoon professions. Massive oversight on the part of Firaxis, or am I missing something?

For that reason I have never taken the Chief, - however - a Converted Native has a natural strength of 2 so a 50% increase would take him to 3, the same as a soldier. He will not attack but can be fortified so the 25% defensive bonus should apply. The 'Right to Bear Arms' gives +1 str to colonists so if he gets that as well (I've never chosen that freedom) and was fortified on a hill maybe he could be useful in slowing down and weakening an attacking army. If you do have an excess of converts it could be a useful tactic.

I'm only guessing here.

I DO have an excess of converts - I don't know what the hell to do with them. I didn't know they had a natural strength of 2 though.

EDIT: Civilopedia says a converted native has a strength of 0

does anyone have a definitive answer on this? the question being :)p) Are Converted Natives able to become military troops of any kind, and if so how?

Top Bottom