PH14: The Return of the King

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
So, after my long hiatus, my much-anticipated (ahem :mischief: ) return has come!

To start things off, I thought I would take it a bit easier than my past games and just make this one a straight win.

Settings:
Leader:

Rivals: 7
Difficulty: Monarch
Map: Standard Fractal
Speed: Epic
Victories: Any

We'll be using DM's (rip) rules:
Spoiler Etiquette Guide :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

I'm going to open it up to the first 5 who respond, and I'll play the first set tomorrow.

Please note: I'm going to be a bit harder on the 24/48 rule as I want to tighten up the pace of my games, so be forewarned ~

Of course, lurkers/spammers/etc are always welcome and are indeed encouraged!

Roster:
pholkhero
rolo
OPEN
OPEN
OPEN
OPEN

And the start:

A "straight win"?!?!?!?!? Where's the fun in that?!?!?!?!? What happened to all your wacky ideas while you were gone?!?!?!?

He's back! :ar15: :run: .....er...... :cheers: :D

What, no kinky objective? :(

Well, you can count me in if you want :p
ok, you're in ~ will update roster

A "straight win"?!?!?!?!? Where's the fun in that?!?!?!?!? What happened to all your wacky ideas while you were gone?!?!?!?
i literally haven't touched civ since my hiatus so, while i still have my wacky ideas, this is more of a refresher game for me :D

can we count you in, too?

also, i was thinking of moving our settler 1ne, then 1 se to keep the two food resources but gamble on settling on river and hope to get more hills over that way. plus we could share that corn later on with another city.

the more the merrier :goodjob:

but i'll update the roster later...i'm sleepy now

Damn, Monarch, huh? I would be in if this was Vanilla (since God hates me, my BTS died).

I would be glad to join in - can you fit me into the roster so that I can play in the weekend since I will be gone from Monday 13th to Thursday 16th?

By the way I've read some of your SGs and they're great fun! I would be delighted to join in on one of the more whacky ones after this :lol:

Ha Ha.

Missed the deadline.

Maybe next time.

I await in gleeful anticipation for the Maestro of Mirth, Mayhem and Misadventure to ruin yet another game for his eager (yet curiously naive) team-mates.

thanks for the welcome back, benzo, but NO, there's no hidden stuff. it's really a straight game (not counting the 7 monty opponents ;) )

Diamond and Spellcraft, you guys are both in ~ glad to meet ya! but don't believe everything you're read about me here. My games are *much* cooler than that :D

also, i'm not sure if beserks was signing up or spamming, so if not, pigs, you can be man number six. Oz, if pigs wimps out, you got it!

roster
pholkhero
rolo
beserks?
pindicator
diamond eye
thy spellcraft
(and maybe pigswill)

playing the first set now ~

So, in typical PH fashion, initial gamble to move east didn't pay off.

No extra hills as I hoped. So, to make the best of things, I moved east again to the coast, and founded . . . but we did get some luck:

At least we have a GP farm :goodjob:

along with founding washington, i founded stone, too:

Our city was set to a WB, and Mining. I was originally going to avoid the classic BW-first move, but with Fishing and Agr already, we don't really need AH, so. Mining was begun.

A few turns later, we found the world's most useless villagers:

uhmm...thanks? i guess . . .

more exploring and I found a neighboring island:

or landmass ~ we also popped our borders, too, that turn.

Mining came in five turns later, and I went on with BW while I kept moving our warrior about, checking out the local pubs.

He found another village . . . promptly sacked it in retribution for the first one.

notice, too, that hinduism was FIDL. Once at pop2, i MMed for the WB asap:

and, a handful of turns later:

and I stopped there.

Here's the map:

notice the copper to the east...this is where our warrior is. I selected hunting as a placeholder, but going towards writing next might be the move here. Also, after another warrior is done, i think a worker is in order ~ unless we want to grow to size 6 first ~

note to the PH-newbies. We're not using set-lengths for turnsets. Play until "some significant stopping point" as I did with BW. You'll see ~

roster
pholkhero >> just played
rolo >> UP NOW
beserks? >> on deck?
pindicator
diamond
spellcraft

and save:

ps...ahhh, it's good to be back :goodjob:

Attachments

• PH14 BC-3200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    57.6 KB · Views: 192
Good to be in!
I'd rather go for the worker to get at least the corn connected than growing to size 6.. And afterwards a settler to get access to the copper in the west (1S of the copper would be quite a good location I think).
Furthermore looking down at the map, it seems that most of our citys will be costal, so GLH might be an idea. So for teching I'd purpose going for sailing would be more important than heading for writing...

See, this is the kind of land that makes me want to tear out my hair when it comes to dot-mapping. Or at least, it does now because I can't recall what I would do before. (Probalby tear out my hair...)

You just can't neatly fit in cities on all the land. So here goes two attempts at early dot-mapping:

Attempt #1 grabs the stone, pig & fish in one city, and then uses the Bronze, on its own to fend for food with a lighthouse lake & grassland farms:

Dotmap #2 grabs the super-bronze site with the pig, stone & lighthouse lake, but the fish gets left out. In the south we bunch up the available resources in as few cities as possible:

Thoughts?

So. Is berserks01 going straight? If not I would be honoured (indeed flattered) to play with such an esteemed captain.

Pigswill, the spot is yours.

I would've like to join, but I'm already stretched with 3 sgs at the moment. I'll join when Pholk's good and ready to be wacky again ;)

Hinduism FIADL T17 means that Saladin is around - if not, Wang.
(Can anyone do the math on this? What is the beakercost of Polytheism? 17*9 = 153? If more than 170, it's Wang (FIN bonus), if less it might be Sally working a 2C tile (who of them has fishing? None, I guess since that is Izzy's tech combo)).

Lookin foward to the game.

Top Bottom