Azer and mistform

Erikulum

Chieftain
I looked at the tech tree for unit that can be built be evey civilization and saw the Azer and Mistform. I remember building Azer when I played Amurites...

Can they really be built by any civilization?

And do they have a hidden requirement?

aren't they a summon (whose spell is unlocked by the tech?)

Mistforms are the Shadow III summon, and can also be created by lair exploration or a random event (which can only be triggered on a tile containing Smoke, giving you a reason to use Spring).

Azers currently enter the game only through random events or lair exploration.

They were originally introduced as a summon, but that was a long time ago and did not last very long.

The Arcane line used to split into separate Summoner and Sorcery lines. Adepts would gain the Sorcery promotion when they upgraded to Mages (or Wizards) or Archmages, or the Summoner promotion when they upgraded to Conjurers (or Illusionists) or Summoners (or Eaters of Dreams). The 2nd and 3rd level spell sphere promotions at that time granted no spells by themselves, but only when combined with a Sorcery, Summoner, or Divine promotion. Priest spells were formerly determined by spell sphere promotions too. Both The Order and The Ashen Veil priests had Fire promotions. Priests of the Leaves had Sorcery as well as Divine, so both they and Mages could both cast bloom.

The fire spells used to be:
Fire I = Scorch
Fire II + Sorcery = Fireball
Fire II + Summoner = Summon Sand Lion
Fire II + Divine = Ring of Flames
Fire III + Sorcery = Meteor
Fire III + Summoner = Summon Fire Elemental
Fire III + Divine = Pillar of Fire

(The Fire sphere was unusual in that the Sorcery spells still technically summoned units, instead of doing direct damage, creating a building, or granting promotions. Meteor created 3 units instead of 1.)

When the mod moved into the Shadow phase, the new spell spheres of Sun and Shadow were introduced. The Fire I spell was moved to Sun I, and the Fire II + Summoner spell was moved to Sun II + Summoner.

Just as Blaze replaced Scorch as Fire I, Summon Azer replaced Summon Sand Lion as Fire II + Summoner.

Not long after Azers were introduced (it may even have been after only a minor patch or two, not even a new number version), Kael decided that the whole spell system was too complicated and needed an overhaul. He removed the spell sphere promotions from Priests and made the divine spells dependent on their religion instead. He merged Conjurers with Mages and Summoners with Archmages, eliminated what he considered the weaker spells of each in order to reduce the number of spell to one per spell sphere promotion. Summon Azer was the newest spell in the game, and the first one cut from it.

The unit was not cut from the game though. I think it served no purpose for a while, but then Kael added an event. When someone suggested explorable lairs, Azers were added to the list of bad results just to give a better excuse for their existence.

So the fact that I could built them was an anomaly? That explain why I've never been able to built them after that.

Anyway, they should probably be removed from the sorcery tech "Can Train" list.

Top Bottom