Civilization Appropriate General and Admiral names

balparmak and DistantRainbow,
please look over the altered lists for Korea and the Ottoman Empire and advise if any further ammendations, deletions, or name adjustments ought to be made. Remember that there is a limit to how much can be displayed effectively in-game for the unit unique-name, and that some non-english characters freak the game out so as a matter of course I eliminate them for players running the game in English.​

Altered List for Korea:
Spoiler :
Code:
Korean Great Generals:
	Dongmyeong
	Onjo
	Yi Song-gye
	Eulji Mundeok
	Shin Rip
	Kwon Yul
	Wang Geon
	Gwanggaeto the Great
	Yeon Gaesomun
	Yang Man-chun
	Kim Yu-sin
	Dae Jo-yeong
	Seo Hui
	Gang Gam-chan
	Yun Gwan
	Choe Yeong
	Kim Jong-seo
	Gwak Jae-u
	Im Gyeong-eop
	Hong Beom-do
	Kim Chwa-chin

Korean Great Admirals:
	Yi Sun Shin
	Son Won-il
	Yi Eok-gi
	Isabu
	Jang Bo-go
	Bae Jung-son
	Choe Mu-seon

Altered list for the Ottoman Empire:
Spoiler :
Code:
Ottoman Great Generals:
	Mustafa Kemal
	Mehmet II the Conqueror
	Selim I the Grim	
	Orhan Ghazi
	Murad I Hudavendigar	 
	Bayezid I Yildirim
	Pargali Ibrahim
	Turahanoglu Omer Bey
	Murad II Kodja
	Veli Mahmud Pasha (or Mahmud Pasha Angelovic) 
	Lala Kara Mustafa
	Ghazi Evrenos Bey
	Lala Sahin
	Malkocoglu Bali Bey
	Ismet Pasha
	Kazim Pasha
	Fevzi Pasha
	Kuyucu Murad
	Ghazi Osman
	Baltaci Mehmed
	Koprulu Mehmed
	Candarli Ali
	Hadim Sinan
	Zaganos Mehmed
	Cezzar Ahmed
	Tiryaki Hasan
	Humbaraci Ahmed
	Telli Hasan

Ottoman Great Admirals:
	TURGUT_REIS			ASSIGNED
	MURAT_REIS			ASSIGNED
	HAYREDDIN_BARBAROSSA		ASSIGNED
	Piri Reis
	Hadim Suleiman
	Muezzinzade Ali
	Piyale Pasha
	Uluc Ali 

Kara Murad
	Silahdar Yusuf
	Kemal Reis
	Seydi Ali
	Oruc Reis
	Hasan Agha
	Kurdoglu Muslihittin
	Kurdoglu Hizir
	Koca Murad
  • I wasn't sure what you meant by
    also noticed you already had the guy I talked about, Enver, as Ismail Enver, eheh.
  • I removed all the "Pahsa" and "Reis" from the names. At least, I think I caught them all.
  • Is "Piri" as you had him the same guy as I had for "Ahmed Muhiddin Piri" ?
  • TURGUT_REIS, MURAT_REIS, and HAYREDDIN_BARBAROSSA were added as Admirals in the base game and I have merely assigned them to use for the Ottoman Empire when this mod is active. And I did not alter the way the names appear in-game.
note that I took out any special characters that aren't used in the english language simply because these characters cause odd error messages in the game's error-logging files because Firaxis.

The Korean name list looks fine. I might come back for any additional names I might have missed, but for now the list looks pretty nice... erm... wait a minute.

Agh, I missed a typo in the original list. Not among the names I suggested, but in the names that were originally in the mod.

'Gwaggaeto the Great' should be 'Gwanggaeto the Great'. There's an n missing just before the double g of the name, and I only just noticed that.

Just fix that one typo, then everything looks good.

The Korean name list looks fine. I might come back for any additional names I might have missed, but for now the list looks pretty nice... erm... wait a minute.

Agh, I missed a typo in the original list. Not among the names I suggested, but in the names that were originally in the mod.

'Gwaggaeto the Great' should be 'Gwanggaeto the Great'. There's an n missing just before the double g of the name, and I only just noticed that.

Just fix that one typo, then everything looks good.
Fixed. No way I would ever have realised a typo crept into that name.

Oh Enver was my example of a famous but incompetent general, when I asked about whether I should include them to the list, and I was surprised when I noticed he was already included as Ismail Enver. Similarly, Rustem Pasha was not known for his military skills, and Bayezid II was not a great general nor ruler, so you may also remove them, and maybe add Bayezid I in their place.

I've got another suggestion by the way, I think rulers may be added with their nicks, as in Mehmed the Conqueror, as they generally represent war-related traits anyway and sound cooler. That would change the list to
Selim I -> Selim the Grim, (alternatively Selim I the Grim, if you'd like to keep it dynastic)
Murad I -> Murad Hudavendigar , ( Murad I Hudavendigar )
Orhan -> Orhan Ghazi, (this is crucial either way, as the guy was literally the biggest Ghazi of all)
Mehmet II -> Mehmed the Conqueror, ( Mehmed II the Conqueror)
(if added) Bayezid I -> Yildirim Bayezid (Bayezid I Yildirim)

I actually prepared my list as a replacement of the existing one, rather than an addition to it, so now there are a few duplicates I listed below, you can choose the name that sounds better for you:
Ibrahim Pasha - Pargali Ibrahim
Uluc Ali - Kilic Ali,
Mahmud Angelovic - Veli Mahmud,
Lala Mustafa - Lala Kara Mustafa

Also, some names I added have the title "Begh", which is actually same as "Bey" that Turahanoglu Mustafa has. And on a second thought, I should have also used "Bey", so I think it is better if all "Begh"s I added are changed to "Bey"s (Ghazi Evrenos Bey, Malkocoglu Bali Bey).
Yes, both "Piri"s are the same, but he is generally known as just "Piri Reis", I've rarely heard anyone calling him with his full name "Ahmed Muhiddin"

Final suggestion, though most names look better with Reis and Pasha titles removed, still it would be better if they were restored for one-word names, since they look a bit dull now. So Pasha for Kazim, Ismet, Fevzi, Piyale; Reis for Piri and Oruc.

edit: I should've added list with my final suggestions for convenience, here it is
Spoiler :

Ottoman Great Generals:
Mustafa Kemal
Mehmet II the Conqueror
Selim I the Grim
Orhan Ghazi
Murad I Hudavendigar
Bayezid I Yildirim
Pargali Ibrahim
Turahanoglu Omer Bey
Murad II Kodja
Lala Kara Mustafa
Ghazi Evrenos Bey
Lala Sahin
Malkocoglu Bali Bey
Ismet Pasha
Kazim Pasha
Fevzi Pasha
Kuyucu Murad
Ghazi Osman
Baltaci Mehmed
Koprulu Mehmed
Candarli Ali
Hadim Sinan
Zaganos Mehmed
Cezzar Ahmed
Tiryaki Hasan
Humbaraci Ahmed
Telli Hasan

Ottoman Great Admirals:
TURGUT_REIS ASSIGNED
MURAT_REIS ASSIGNED
HAYREDDIN_BARBAROSSA ASSIGNED
Piri Reis
Hadim Suleiman
Muezzinzade Ali
Piyale Pasha
Uluc Ali (or Kilic Ali)

Kara Murad
Silahdar Yusuf
Kemal Reis
Seydi Ali
Oruc Reis
Hasan Agha
Kurdoglu Muslihittin
Kurdoglu Hizir
Koca Murad

Oh Enver was my example of a famous but incompetent general, when I asked about whether I should include them to the list, and I was surprised when I noticed he was already included as Ismail Enver. Similarly, Rustem Pasha was not known for his military skills, and Bayezid II was not a great general nor ruler, so you may also remove them, and maybe add Bayezid I in their place.

I've got another suggestion by the way, I think rulers may be added with their nicks, as in Mehmed the Conqueror, as they generally represent war-related traits anyway and sound cooler. That would change the list to
Selim I -> Selim the Grim, (alternatively Selim I the Grim, if you'd like to keep it dynastic)
Murad I -> Murad Hudavendigar , ( Murad I Hudavendigar )
Orhan -> Orhan Ghazi, (this is crucial either way, as the guy was literally the biggest Ghazi of all)
Mehmet II -> Mehmed the Conqueror, ( Mehmed II the Conqueror)
(if added) Bayezid I -> Yildirim Bayezid (Bayezid I Yildirim)

I actually prepared my list as a replacement of the existing one, rather than an addition to it, so now there are a few duplicates I listed below, you can choose the name that sounds better for you:
Ibrahim Pasha - Pargali Ibrahim
Uluc Ali - Kilic Ali,
Mahmud Angelovic - Veli Mahmud,
Lala Mustafa - Lala Kara Mustafa

Also, some names I added have the title "Begh", which is actually same as "Bey" that Turahanoglu Mustafa has. And on a second thought, I should have also used "Bey", so I think it is better if all "Begh"s I added are changed to "Bey"s (Ghazi Evrenos Bey, Malkocoglu Bali Bey).
Yes, both "Piri"s are the same, but he is generally known as just "Piri Reis", I've rarely heard anyone calling him with his full name "Ahmed Muhiddin"

Final suggestion, though most names look better with Reis and Pasha titles removed, still it would be better if they were restored for one-word names, since they look a bit dull now. So Pasha for Kazim, Ismet, Fevzi, Piyale; Reis for Piri and Oruc.

edit: I should've added list with my final suggestions for convenience, here it is
Spoiler :

Ottoman Great Generals:
Mustafa Kemal
Mehmet II the Conqueror
Selim I the Grim
Orhan Ghazi
Murad I Hudavendigar
Bayezid I Yildirim
Pargali Ibrahim
Turahanoglu Omer Bey
Murad II Kodja
Lala Kara Mustafa
Ghazi Evrenos Bey
Lala Sahin
Malkocoglu Bali Bey
Ismet Pasha
Kazim Pasha
Fevzi Pasha
Kuyucu Murad
Ghazi Osman
Baltaci Mehmed
Koprulu Mehmed
Candarli Ali
Hadim Sinan
Zaganos Mehmed
Cezzar Ahmed
Tiryaki Hasan
Humbaraci Ahmed
Telli Hasan

Ottoman Great Admirals:
TURGUT_REIS ASSIGNED
MURAT_REIS ASSIGNED
HAYREDDIN_BARBAROSSA ASSIGNED
Piri Reis
Hadim Suleiman
Muezzinzade Ali
Piyale Pasha
Uluc Ali (or Kilic Ali)

Kara Murad
Silahdar Yusuf
Kemal Reis
Seydi Ali
Oruc Reis
Hasan Agha
Kurdoglu Muslihittin
Kurdoglu Hizir
Koca Murad
  • I updated post #101 to conform to your suggestions.
  • I just have to decide which of the alternate names I want to use for Veli Mahmud Pasha (or Mahmud Pasha Angelovic). I think I like the way "Veli Mahmud Pasha" rolls off the tongue better than the way "Mahmud Pasha Angelovic" does in the sense of 'feeling' Ottoman as it would appear to a native speaker of English, assuming otherwise the alternates for how the man is remembered are 'equal'.
  • I went with Uluc Ali because I had already used that version and all it will require in the mod's code is to drop the "Reis" for him.
  • I probably won't get to making the update until late today, or perhaps tomorrow evening. Though it is the Monday of a three-day holiday weekend here, it doesn't look as if I am going to get to spend the "holiday" doing what I would prefer. There is lawn to mow and etc., etc.

Mod Updated to V9, with fixes for compatibility to CP (and therefore JFD Game-Mechanic Mods that require CP) and to make the Korean and Ottomoan changes suggested by DistantRainbow and balparmak.

Mod Updated to V9, with fixes for compatibility to CP (and therefore JFD Game-Mechanic Mods that require CP) and to make the Korean and Ottomoan changes suggested by DistantRainbow and balparmak.

That's fantastic, thanks Lee! This and your 'No more tech-tree bee lining' are some of my favourite mods.

Just wanna say thanks for making this and making it work with Vox Populi! I got so so tired of always getting Spartacus and Charles Martel and Geronimo no matter who I was playing and this is so so much better! Actually feels like one of my people is leading my people now.

Updated the mod to V11 as of 12Sep2016

Changes were mainly "under the hood" changes the average user would not see. Vastly increased the efficiency of the lua code, however, with slight changes in the way the mod works which I will detail in the OP in the next few days.

It is very doubtful the average user will even "see" the changes made.

V11 update made slight behavioral changes, as outlined here:

Without going into painful details of how the lua functions that handles all this, the mod works like this:
  1. Civilizations are assigned their own unique list of Great General and Great Admiral Names. This has been done for all the "stock" Firaxis-supplied civilizations, whether from Vanilla, Gods & Kings, BNW, or one of the DLC packages.
  2. There is also a list of ~50 Generic Great General and ~20 Generic Great Admiral Names.
  3. Custom civilizations added by other mods can also specify a list of unique names for Great Generals and Great Admirals, but they do not have to do so.
  4. If a specific civilization is active within a game, it's unique list of General and Admiral Names is reserved for its use only.
    • If two or more versions of the same civilization are being used within the same game, each of these is assigned the complete list correct for this civilization, and for each such civilization its own version of the list for that civ is drawn from and tracked individually to all other 'copies' of the same civilization.
    • So if you load up a lol-game with 8 opponent civs all playing as Shaka, each of these Shakas will use the set of General and Admiral names for Shaka, and it is quite possible (perhaps even likely) that there will be multiple copies of Zwelithini as a Great General for differing versions of Shaka in such a game.
  5. If a civilization (Major or Minor) does not have any unique names assigned to it, it draws from the Generic list.
    • If a civilization uses up all its assigned names, it will begin to draw from the Generic list.
    • City-States never have a specific list so they always draw from the Generic list.
  6. Names for civilizations that are nor active within a particular game are thrown into a Fallback List. If at any time during the game the Generic list becomes exhausted, then the Fallback list takes the place of the Generic list.
  7. Selection of a particular name for a great general or great admiral is done randomly from the appropriate lists. This should give a more unique flavor to every play-through as Rome, for example. A player will not necessarily always get the same set of Great General names appearing. All will be appropriate to the Civilization the player is playing as, but in an individual play-through, a Rome player might get Gaius Marius, Quintus Sertorius, and Marcus Aurelius. On the next play-through the player might get Marius again, but get Lucius Sulla and Fabius Maximus instead of Sertorius and Aurelius.
  8. The same effects as outlined pertain to all players within a game, Human or AI, Major Civilization or City State.

These changes are accomplished by a more efficient approach to the lua code, and as an added benefit remove the concern of one commenter soon after the mod was released that the previous behavior could be used to glean negative information about who was not in the game based on careful attention to the names of Great General and Great Admirals used within a particular game. This later will still be possible, theoretically, but should only really become a practical issue until much later into a particular game wherein you will likely already have met everyone anyway.

One thing I'd like to point out about this very good mod....

If you're "testing" custom civ Great General names, don't use IGE to spawn the GG. You'll get a random name from the Unit_UniqueNames table. During regular gameplay, the names work just fine...

Took me a little longer than I'd care to admit to figure that out... :crazyeye:

Keep up the great work, Mr. LeeS!

One thing I'd like to point out about this very good mod....

If you're "testing" custom civ Great General names, don't use IGE to spawn the GG. You'll get a random name from the Unit_UniqueNames table. During regular gameplay, the names work just fine...

Took me a little longer than I'd care to admit to figure that out... :crazyeye:

Keep up the great work, Mr. LeeS!
So long as the great general names are registered properly to the civ for whom the great general is being created, even in using IGE you will get a name from the list for that civ. If the civ you are creating a great general for has no names assigned to it, then you will get a name chosen from the 'generic' list. This is true whether using IGE to directly create a great general, or if the great general is created via the game's normal systems.

But this mod does nothing to unique replacement versions of great generals such as the Mongol Khan unit or any one of mulitple of JFD's custom replacement units for the Great General or the Great Admiral. In those cases those civs have their own list of unique names for their unique replacement-units.

Sorry to be difficult, Sir, but that wasn't what I was seeing. I have a mod with 7 custom civs, each with 50 Great Generals named. These were in a separate .XML file with only two tables changed, using this syntax:

Code:
<Unit_UniqueNames>
     <Row UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL" UniqueName="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NAW_AUSTRIA_01"  CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_AUSTRIAN_KINGDOM" />
</Unit_UniqueNames>

<Language_en_US>
    <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NAW_AUSTRIA_01"  Text="General Mack" />
</Language_en_US>

Using SQLite, I was able to see all of the entries successfully loaded in the database.

When I used IGE to spawn the generals to see if the names were working, random GG names from every culture were spawned for the Austrian civ I was testing at the time. I added this code at the top of my GG name definition script:

Code:
<Unit_UniqueNames>
     <Delete>
          <UnitType>UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL</UnitType>
     </Delete>
</Unit_UniqueNames>

At that point, when I spawned GG's using IGE, the generals still got random names, but they were at least only random names from the my definition file.

I experimented with lots of settings, but finally decided to just run the scenario using Live Tuner to test some other scripts. I then noticed that when GG's spawned, they were in fact using the correct names for the correct custom civs.

Ultimately, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. You mod allows me to improve the realism of the mod substantially. We go through a lot of effort to get the unit art work looking good - why? To make if "feel" more accurate, and that's a good thing.

But it really takes a lot away from that "feeling" when I line up 20 regiments of Line Infantry with 5 regiments of Grenadiers in the center, Dragoons and Hussars on the flanks, and several batteries of 12 pounders in support, all lined up and ready to storm Paris - only to see this beautifully-rendered 19th century army led by Leonidas.....

Your mod greatly improves the "feeling" of realism and greatly improves the overall effect!

The mod has never failed for me to correctly generate GG & GA admiral names specific to the civ as defined within the database, either via IGE or any other method.

There has to be something you are doing wrong with mod loading order or something else.

The way I have always tested that the mod is up and running correctly after I make changes to it is in fact by using IGE to spawn multiple GG or GA for a randomly chosen civ to play as.

I agree that I'm doing something wrong, but haven't been able to isolate it yet. The dependencies are set correctly, or I'd encounter an error when I load the "CIVILIZATION_TYPE" to the unique names. There are no such errors in the database log, and I am seeing these names loaded in the database. Here is the code from the .modinfo file:

Code:
 </Properties>
  <Dependencies>
    <Mod id="fe245559-0525-41bb-9e1c-b281e018b5fc" minversion="11" maxversion="999" title="" />
  </Dependencies>
  <References />

Evidently, I'm doing something else incorrectly to get the behavior, but it must be relatively benign, as the mod works perfectly when not using IGE.

Thanks, LeeS, appreciate the offer. Mod is weighing in at 25MB at the moment, and that's without documentation... :mischief: Am putzing with a auto-unit-namer script that's just a tad buggy ATM. Am hoping that in a couple of days, it will be working well enough for testing. Can send you a private invite via Steam when it's uploaded? Again, thanks for all the great work - and great support for that work!

In that case just throw a link here to the steam page when you release to public. Then I'll just download from steam and see if I can replicate the issue. If you aren't seeing misbehavior during normal gameplay it shouldn't be much of an issue really between time you release and when I have a chance to see what happens on my end, and then suggest a fix if any for an update.

For the generals and admirals of the Great War, there are plenty, but finding the names of those for the less nautical powers (e.g., Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Russia, even France) is a tough order even in the age of Wikipedia and the web. I have Purnell's History of the First World War magazine in its entirety in binders, and that has a lot of great articles on little-known battles and campaigns of the War to End All Wars. The bad side is that it's been out of print since 1971. But I still might be able to help out if someone sends me a note.

For Austria-Hungary, start with Miklos Horthy. After the Austro-Hungarian Empire went out of business, he became the Regent of Hungary. So a landlocked kingdom without a king was ruled by an admiral without a Navy. Through pugnacity, a fierce face, and a fiercer secret police, he stayed in power, took Hitler's side, got pieces of Poland and Romania. provided Adolf with troops and oil, until the Soviets came banging on the Iron Gate and he tried to switch sides. Hitler sent in his ace commando, Otto Skorzeny, and "the most dangerous man in Europe" and his SS cronies barged into Horthy's palace, wrapped up his son in a carpet, took the whole kit and caboodle back to Germany, and Hitler said to Horthy, "Yield power to my man Ferenc Szalasi and his Green Cross movement or else." Horthy did, and Szalasi and his goons kept Hungary at Hitler's side until V-E Day, while shipping off Europe's last unharmed Jews to Auschwitz. Horthy's only positive achievement was refusing to adhere to the Final Solution. In those last few months, Swedishd iplomat Raoul Wallenberg saved a lot Hungarian Jews from death, and since they were the last in to Auschwitz, they were the first to be liberated, which is why many of the Holocaust survivors around today are Hungarian.

So that's the Horthy story. I hope I can help further. :)

What I would like to do is create a custom list of great generals and admirals for my WWI scenario. How would I do that? Is it hard to change the names?

Top Bottom