Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I seem to recall building highways over boats in Civ2, but think units stopped at boats anyway. I forget why I bothered to do this, unless perhaps it avoided the second stop on the other side and allowed continuous movement.

Might be a cool mod in Civ IV (without the permanent boat) -- think Confederation Bridge to Newfoundland. Maybe turn a workboat into a 1-segment road?

Note that tiles in the game would typically represent an area of 100*100 kilometers or more (if the planet is compareable to earth). It's not that realistic to create bridges of a few hundred kilometers crossing deep ocean tiles. The rivers visible on the map could already be representing significant bodies of water.

It might be interesting for gameplay if the rules would be similar to the fort-canals and if these bridges could be destroyed fairly easily.

Unrealistic shouldn't stop a mod developer! Confederation bridge is 12.9 km -- about the same as the Straits of Gibraltar -- so it might make sense on a Mediterranean-scale map.

Should be subject to razing by naval units. If a land unit razes, you'd want it to be shuffled to one side or the other.

But this is wandering pretty far from "newbie" by now, so I'll stop.

installed the game with no problems, first run gave the error your movies are not installed correctly - any answers?

Try removing the movies from the options menu. I removed mine because some times the computer would freeze

Can Apostolic Palace trigger a win for the AI as well as me? Dumb question and I'm 90% sure the answer is yes. How exactly do you win WITH AP anyway? i don't get all the voting and whatnot.

In Civ 3 I always turned off Diplo vic because he just seemed to take the fun out of things...Namely conquering expanding and being oppressively influential :lol:

Can Apostolic Palace trigger a win for the AI as well as me? Dumb question and I'm 90% sure the answer is yes. How exactly do you win WITH AP anyway? i don't get all the voting and whatnot.

In Civ 3 I always turned off Diplo vic because he just seemed to take the fun out of things...Namely conquering expanding and being oppressively influential :lol:
Oh yes, definintely! I've lost to the AI that way. :mad:

Winning with the AP is pretty cheesy. You first need to spread your state religion to at least one city in every civ on the map, then get them to vote you a diplomatic win. If many/most share your state religion, they're probably Pleased to Friendly anyway, so the vote is not usually what's challenging; it's spreading the good word--which can obviously be easier on some maps than others.

Nice, thanks for the reply sisiutil.

Yeah I think I'm going to start not allowing Diplo wins in BtS...

As Charlemagne I just rushed the AP with a great engineer while waging war against Cyrus, who I shared Buddhism with. He had probably 4 more much larger cities though a much smaller military and was behind in techs. Needless to say he voted against me, as he was the only person I had made contact with (on an island) and he ended up winning.

DOH :rolleyes:

Does the Three Gorges Dam have any requirements other than Plastics? I have a game where I know plastics, but am not allowed to build 3 Gorges--it doesn't show up as an option. Which is a shame, cuz I've been saving an Engineer just for it ..

Hey thanks 49er! *glug* It's cool to see such an active Civ site, I didn't know it was around. It's also good to meet gamers with such good attitudes, too. :hatsoff:

ps the 49er's rule...just not in a while :D

I loved the 49ers in the 60s before Super Bowl success, and I love them now after success. I remain hopeful they will return to prominence. :D

How are the HOF mod and the BUG mod related to each other? Can I use both? If not, which one is more popular / better?

HOF mod contains many of the same components as BUG but they are separate projects with somewhat different goals. While you can play whatever you want under HOF mod its main purpose is to provide a standard platform for competition games (HOF submissions & GOTMs) and many people use it exclusively for that purpose while running BUG (and/or other mods) for "regular games".

I have a question about the Graphs which you can get to by clicking a button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Sometimes it shows only MY score/power line throughout the whole game, regardless of how many Civs I've met, and sometimes it shows the power lines of some or all of the other Civs. I was wondering, what determines if you can see another Civs power status or not? There seems to be no method to it to me, unless theres something Im missing. I'd really know to know my relative power all the time. :) Thanks to anyone who could answer this.

I have a question about the Graphs which you can get to by clicking a button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Sometimes it shows only MY score/power line throughout the whole game, regardless of how many Civs I've met, and sometimes it shows the power lines of some or all of the other Civs. I was wondering, what determines if you can see another Civs power status or not? There seems to be no method to it to me, unless theres something Im missing. I'd really know to know my relative power all the time. :) Thanks to anyone who could answer this.

If you are playing BtS, you need enough espionage to "see demographics" to make a civ appear on the powergraph.

Top Bottom