Hulfgar's Modpack Extended Edition "Rise of the Machines"

so for my all works fine now with 10,2b. saving is possible now. thx dude

Hi everybody,

I've updated the mod to version 11b1.

I've managed to cut by 50% the loading time but it's still longer than usual (about 8 minutes on my PC).

Thanks to Whoward I know now that the problem is with the Tech Tree (when the game builds it, creating all the pipes, loading the icons,... ).
I've removed some tech prereqs and it has improved the loading time, I will see if I can do more.

Excellent News Hulfgar!

Wanted to start a new game with a friend this weekend, decided to wait another few days in case of an update, and here you are. Now we only need to wait for a proper MP Package :D

Thanks for your work, and don't cut too many things, I'd rather wait a few minutes for loading or generating a game rather than have a reduced version of what you envisioned for the mod. As long as it doesn't increase the turn times for the AI, they're to long as it is :)

Hello Chera,

I will test it tomorrow but from memory the MP package loads faster than the "regular" mod.
In this case I would not need to make an update for the MP package.

I don't plan to cut more in the tech tree or to remove things, it would break the spirit of the mod.

Thanks for your support :)

Thanks Onmy :)

ok I tested the MP Modpack and it's as long as the regular mod (ver 10.2) so i will make a new modpack with ver 11b1.

Hi again,

so here is the new MP Modpack with version 11b1 (and as always with IGE).

as fake DLC the mod seems to load a little faster than as mod (6.21 minutes instead of 8 minutes).

Chera how was your game experience as multiplayer with the mod?
I never had a feedback about the MP modpack and can't try it myself , so I'd like to know if you encountered any issue and how it feels.

Haha, haven't had MP experience with your mod yet. Only played 2 matches so far, one Vanilla with EUI, one with Serps MP Improved Gameplay, and now it's your turn :D

Only played SP with your mod to this day, and that was before the fix for unlimited resource loss. Since then I've been occupied doing other things. Few free days ahead, I hope my friend has a similar schedule, and I will report back on how it's going.

First priority: No desyncs, as we've never had any in Civ 5, thank god. :)

The self-installer has been updated with version 11b1 (link in the 1st. post).

Thanks Onmy :)

Currently playing and typing this as we go along.
- The first thing that we noticed was that the ruins sometimes didn't seem to give us anything. Sometimes it just didn't say so in the usual text, and sometimes there was no indication we got anything at all.

- Unit gold costs are decreasing all the time in the display, yet not actually, one has to check the true cost by hovering over the unit in the list

- Diplomacy View: When clicking on another player, there are no buttons whatsoever. Looks like an interface bug, unless you need some research to have ANY buttons at all, which I seriously doubt. I request aid on this one.

+ Loading times are surprisingly good, slightly faster than your measurements. I'm running the game on a FX-8350, installed on an SSD

+ Barbarians seem to be far more organized than before. The attempts and gangbanging my units are uncountable, I can barely progress due to the barbarian pressure. Difficulty is King, we do not have Raging Barbarians enabled.

Hi Chera,

- The first thing that we noticed was that the ruins sometimes didn't seem to give us anything.

You mean the vanilla ruins I suppose ? Those that upgrade units or give free tech,... ?
If yes then I have to look at my units, some probably lack a "goodyhut upgrade", it will be easy to correct.

- Unit gold costs are decreasing all the time in the display
Strange thing, you mean that for a unit the cost is never the same and decreasing ?

- Diplomacy View: When clicking on another player, there are no buttons whatsoever.
This looks like a conflict with another mod. Do you use EUI or something else that touch the UI?

My mod doesn't change the UI but the MP Modpack copy some UI files and those can conflict with other mods.

+ Loading times are surprisingly good
A good news :)

+ Barbarians seem to be far more organized than before.

Remember that Barbarian Immersion from Leughi is included in my modpack, so yes barbarian can be a real pain sometime (especially for the AI!).

thanks for this first report! no desync so far ?

Alright new update:

+ No desyncs yet

+ Diplomacy buttons appeared when we deleted the LeaderHeadRoot or whatever it was called from the UI folder. We also deleted the CityView in order to restore the ability to build something :D
Maybe you should mention that in the beginning of the thread

+ Friend tells me to tell you that your resource system is awesome, and he really likes the barbarian difficulty.

- Regarding the gold cost problem: I think the displayed rush cost is dependent on the spent production of the current project. Completing a building, for instance, and starting another one, resets the gold price for everything to the normal value, and it begins decreasing again. This is a display error though, since even if it says 8 gold for a warrior, it still costs several hundred gold, and the 8 is red. I hope this explanation is a little clearer.

EDIT:
Final report for today:

Gold display is messed up for buying tiles as well, not only units and buildings in the city view.

Additionally we're currently having the problem that no Great Prophet spawns at 300 faith, I am at 331 already, friend at 400, and no option to found a religion. - no idea what to do here.

Final word of the day: I really liked 2 things about Serp's mod collection: the additional tile improvements (not the enhanced versions though, as they acted as a different improvement, thus one had to replace the old one - bad micro management) , and the ability to actually choose where the city's culture will grant another tile next. Right now my cities act like they're being led by an ape on valium.

+ Diplomacy buttons appeared when we deleted the LeaderHeadRoot or whatever it was called from the UI folder. We also deleted the CityView in order to restore the ability to build something
Maybe you should mention that in the beginning of the thread

yes for the CityView I though that I had put the warning in the thread but I forgot. For the LeaderHeadRoot I didn't know it, thanks for sharing the info.
I will put a warning for both.

Regarding the gold cost problem: I think the displayed rush cost is dependent on the spent production of the current project. Completing a building, for instance, and starting another one, resets the gold price for everything to the normal value, and it begins decreasing again. This is a display error though

I wonder if it could be another conflict, I will investigate.

+ Friend tells me to tell you that your resource system is awesome, and he really likes the barbarian difficulty.

Thanks I'm glad you have fun with it :)

useful reports, thanks Chera :)

Lord in Heaven! I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!

The Gold problem I talked about is in fact a MENTAL problem. The red numbers show the amount of gold I STILL NEED.

I feel astonishingly stupid.

By the way, why is it that sometimes in the middle of the AI turn the game stops and acts as if we just reloaded a savegame? Is that some sort of desync-prevention method, basically a forced reload?

The Gold problem I talked about is in fact a MENTAL problem. The red numbers show the amount of gold I STILL NEED.
LOL :D at least this problem is solved :)

By the way, why is it that sometimes in the middle of the AI turn the game stops and acts as if we just reloaded a savegame? Is that some sort of desync-prevention method, basically a forced reload?

Good question, I never saw this so it may be specific to the multiplayer game.
I'm sorry but I can't answer this one, I don't know the mechanics behind a MP game.

Hi Hulfgar,

First of all, thank you for this great mod, it brings the game to whole new level.

I'm in my second run with this mod.
In first game (v10.1 I think) I've played Huge/Emperor/Epic game with 15 civs and 30 city states. I stopped playing in mass production era because it became too easy to win, mostly due to huge gold and culture income per turn. My conclusion is (compared to my second game) that this mod is not scaled to epic game speed, but nevertheless it was very fun and cut-throat game until late Industrial era.

My second and ongoing game (v11b1) it's really something special. I'm playing Huge/Immortal/Standard with 15 civs and 20 city-states. Game pace and difficulty is near perfection with this setup.

I just entered Renaissance era and I can already see this will be huge challenge to win. I've never played a Civ5 game where the strength of all civs is so balanced like in this one. Almost all civs still have potential to become a superpower in later eras.

I don't use any additional mods and I haven't encountered any crashes, bugs or even graphical glitches so far.

My playing time is very limited due to family and work responsibilities and I can just hope to enter Future/Skynet era in next 4-5 weeks.
Since that part of the mod was the no. 1 reason to play it I would really appreciate i someone can share the late game experience with me and answer few questions I have:

- How exactly does Skynet rebellion looks like (does they take a control of the cities or even civs)?
- Do all living civs become allies against Skynet?
- does the AI gets broken in the late game like in most of the other mods?
- Skynet emergence and first strike gameplay?
- Skynet win story?
- Skynet gets defeated story?
- Fun level compared to previous eras?

Give me something to look forward to:))

Thank you again for all the work you put into this epic mod!

Hello Killtech80,

thanks for reporting here, your comments about the epic and standard game paces are very interesting and I can use them to make some recommendations.
As for myself I haven't had the time to play the mod since a long time, mostly I have to choose between modding and playing so it's always nice to have some feedback about the gameplay.

- How exactly does Skynet rebellion looks like (does they take a control of the cities or even civs)?

If Skynet becomes self-aware all your cyber units will switch to the Barbarian's side and as long as you have some Advanced Weapons Factory working Skynet will produce more rogue cyber units, until you can reset it's self-awareness.
You can lower the threat to see Skynet become self-aware but it will never be 0.
You can reset Skynet self-awareness but it may become self-aware again.

For now Skynet's troops will not capture cities, eventually I may change this sometime, in this case the City where Skynet has been build would automatically switch to the barbarian side when Skynet becomes self-aware.
But I have to rework a big piece of the "skynet" code for this so i don't now when it will be so far.

- Do all living civs become allies against Skynet?
No, because Skynet is not a world wonder and each civ can build it's own Skynet.
However should I make the changes mentioned above then such an alliance would make sense.

- Does the AI gets broken in the late game like in most of the other mods?
I can't tell you, it's to far away since I played a whole game :(

- Skynet emergence and first strike gameplay?
Once you have build Skynet there is a risk/chance that it gains Synthetic Intelligence.
The chance depends mainly on how many cyber units you have build (the more units Skynet has under its control the more input it gets and the faster it learns).
When Skynet has Synthetic Intelligence another check is run at each turn to see if it becomes self-aware. Again it depends on how many cyber units you own : the more you have, the stronger Skynet will feel.
Shouldf Skynet becomes self-aware you get it announced with a splash screen and your cyber units will switch to the Barbarian's side.

The first Skynet's move will probably be to attack any non barbarian unit and city in it's reach.
Sadly (or luckily) I don't get Skynet to use the nuclear weapons.

- Skynet win story?
- Skynet gets defeated story?
Because Skynet can't capture cities it cannot win, in the worst case another civ will use the situation to crush your civ while you are weakend.

You can end Skynet's rebellion if you reset it (it's done by discovering a tech) but it may become self aware again.
I should perhaps add the option to sell/destroy the Skynet's controlroom.

- Fun level compared to previous eras?
Personnaly I like the mix of futur and modern units and the silent threat of Skynet getting self-aware and spawning barbarians in the heart of the empire.

Conclusion on my side : your interest gives me the motivation to work on the city capture alternativ!

Hi everybody, just to let you know that I'm still working on the mod this is what the next update could include if everything goes well :

DONE : When Skynet becomes self-aware a new civilization with Skynet as leader will spawn
DONE : Every Cyber unit of the player will pass to this new Civ.
DONE : The city with the building Cyberdine is captured by Skynet and becomes it's 1st city

PLANNED : Skynet's civ declares permanent war to every other civ in the game
PLANNED : any cyber unit in the game will be controled by Skynet
PLANNED : any city where a Skynet Control Room has been build is captured by Skynet.

The point behind this is to make Skynet more challenging, as major civ it could capture cities and make use of nuclear weapons.

I wish you all a nice WE :)

Top Bottom