Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

Hey, I'm getting a problem with Civ IV BTS on Windows 8 64-bit.

Whenever I click play on Steam, a message comes saying that the game is launching, after a few secs, the same message comes again, and the Steam closes the game saying that the game is already opened, which is not.

Thanks for the help, i installed Civ 4 as per your guideline and it runs great, when i try to add the BTS on it goes halfway through the install and gives this error, any ideas?

Feature: Default Feature
Component: Warlords Component
File: E:\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

any help would be appreciated

Thanks for the help, i installed Civ 4 as per your guideline and it runs great, when i try to add the BTS on it goes halfway through the install and gives this error, any ideas?

Feature: Default Feature
Component: Warlords Component
File: E:\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

any help would be appreciated
Unfortunately that usually means a faulty disc. Try cleaning the disc and/or copying the contents to a temporary folder on your PC and installing from there.

You can look around your area at used games stores and video stores, they sometimes have disc cleaning machines that will fill in the scratches and the game is usable again. Pretty cheap, a couple of bucks. There is also a liquid you can buy and do it yourself.

What if you download Civ 4 and BTS from places like Gamefly or Steam? Does this change the installation process?

Yes it does. This method works only with disk based options.

Yes it does. This method works only with disk based options.

So what does one do when the games are purchased from places like Gamefly? The installation process doesn't allow me to choose a directory, and I've found that it places files my Programsx86 folder, and not the Programs one. Furthermore, the files are then split between the Firaxis Games directory and that of 2K Games.

Not sure ... I can't support non-disk version as I do not know.

You must have a 64 bit OS, the Program Files x86 is the 32 bit Program Files folder for a 64 bit OS. As Civ 4 is 32 bit it will go in there for 64 bit windows.

Can't help with the install locations for gamefly versions though, I have a disc version.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

hi guys,

I have been trying for "years" without any success in patching my CIV 4 BTS on two Windows 7 Vaio that I used before, and now a Windows 8 Asus :sad:

No matter its 3.03, 3.13, 3.17 or 3.19, I always get the same error message that says

"Setup has detected no version of Sid Mier's civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword is installed"

"This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed"

I have searched online for just about every possible ways to solve this issue including doing exactly what OP asked in his original post. Over the years I have spent countless hours reading up & installing/uninstalling nearly 30 times :sad:

I have the CD version for both Vanilla & BTS which came in the same package.

I read on 2k's forum that numerous others has the same exact problem but nobody seem to have a clear answer to this. If somebody could help me solve this issue so that I can finally play host of great mods which requires patch 3.19 it would HIGHLY HIGHLY appreciated!!!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

C-Kompii

Just adding to what I wrote above, I have tried install patches from the firaxis site, here on civfanatics and elsewhere... same result all round

patching my Vanilla 1.61 & 1.74 works however, just not anything on BTS...

Thanks!

C-Kompii

What does it say it is already patched to?

Furiey thanks for the prompt reply.

Upon installation, this is what it states in-game:

Civ Build: 313
Save Build: 303
Build Version: 3.0.0.1 (81539)

Obviously updating the patch in-game does nothing to the above

Many thanks!

Guys,

I purchased the complete Civ IV pack today on greenmangaming.com and tried playing, but it does not work. [note: you have to install a program called Capsule and then download the game from the internet to make it work]. I mean, it takes several minutes just to launch, and then it is super slow, almost frozen - not just the animations, there is also substantial delay when opening windows, executing every tiny command etc... I am hugely disappointed, no one could ever play the game in this state. And I have also been playing games on the DOS emulator, so I am certainly not exigent in terms of graphics. The game is just stuck, at times it is like watching a screenshot.

FYI, I have Windows 7 and my machine has a Geforce 630M with a 2GHz processor and 8Gb RAM, so it is not the machine. Also, all drivers and DirectX are up to date. I don't know what to do, I am almost desperate...

Thank you in advance for any help, it is really needed!

Have tried to install patches for Civ4 and get
"Setup has detected no version of Sid Mier's civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword is installed"

"This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed"

Win7/64
Have tried uninstall/reinstall as per the first post
run as administrator
C:\Games\Civ4 etc
will not run any patches

Others have mentioned this
Does anyone have a solution

When you uninstall ... you may want to run ccleaner to clear out the incorrect registry entries ... and then try installing again.

Top Bottom