Jon comes back with a vengence

At the Gates interview with Civilization V designer Jon Shafer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/06/a...ges-strategy-from-the-lead-designer-of-civ-v/

Really liked this:

The focus with warfare in At the Gates is supply. Every tile has a supply rating which is based on the type of terrain and whether or not it’s within supply range of one of your settlements or supply camps. Timing when your invasions take place is critical, and success usually comes down to holding out or cutting off the enemy’s supply, rather than building a front line

The Operational Art of War I, II, III and Century of Warfare
Advanced Tactics
Advanced Tactics Gold
... and who knows how many more that I don't know of.

To be original and deserve the praise, well, one has to be original, right? ;)

This is not just a matter of Firaxis letting Jon go, it's Stardock letting him go. What happened there?

Anyway, I am very optimistic about his success. He is only asking for $40,000--for a game slated for 2014. That is like, nothing. That's cheap even for a lone investor. I'm surprised 108 people only raised $4k so far.

Anyway, I am very optimistic about his success. He is only asking for $40,000--for a game slated for 2014. That is like, nothing. That's cheap even for a lone investor. I'm surprised 108 people only raised $4k so far.

Just rechecked the link: He's already at $32K now.

This is going to be the greatest thing that has ever happened to Jon.

You could speculate that he got in over his head with Civ V (and maybe even at Stardock) and doing a smaller, less ambitious game is a better way for him to develop as a designer.

Honestly? We need more GREAT guys doing well in the industry... like Soren. I am fed up with little guys that get more credits than they deserve.

What I meant was Indie publishers. I want them to succeed.

As far as the big dogs, personally, I'd love to see Soren and Brian Reynolds team up for Civ VI. :D

You could speculate that he got in over his head with Civ V (and maybe even at Stardock) and doing a smaller, less ambitious game is a better way for him to develop as a designer.

He was totally in over his head.

Jon Shafer has some good ideas and I think he'll be excellent once he has more experience but he should never have been put in charge of Civilization 5.

He left Stardock because he wanted to found his own company. I don't think he was forced out.

Many people are critical of Jon Shafer and after the disaster of Civilization 5, I can't blame them. (Even though the lion's share of the blame has to go to greedy 2K Games)
However, At the Gates is his chance to sink or swim. If he screws it up, he has no one to blame because he is totally in charge.

Also, games sell most of their copies in the first two years.

I don't think this is valid any longer. Steam ( and other similar platforms) has changed the pc games sell greatly. Now, people can buy older games easily with very good price years after it released with just few clicking behind their computer right at home.

$38K and counting. . .

Just about to the $40,000. Only another $727 to reach the initial goal.

Just about to the $40,000. Only another $727 to reach the initial goal.

It's now exceeded the target by $494 with 27 days to spare.

So now 85k+ would make it possible for 10 factions instead of just 8... It's almost past 40k.

$42,270 now. On to the stretch goals.

Hopefully it'll reach them and allow people to make some great mods.

This game has real potential and with the right community supporting it there could be some sweet, sweet games come out of it. For example, a fantasy version of this or a Mongol scenario.

I like the game idea except for the fact you can only play as barbs. I'd like to play as any side I choose. That ign article has a release date sometime in 2013 so that would be really cool if he can get the game out by the end of the year.

Ah folks he still works at Stardock... This is a personal thing he wants to work on in his free time.

Nm I'm full of .

Top Bottom