Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v2)

1. The problem with the icon circle looking weird (jagged) is a Photoshop vs GIMP issue vs Civ5... Use GIMP... There's another thread, can't rem now, that discusses this.

2. UU - Mounties instead of Avro. Mounties have been around a lot longer, so in my mind, wouldn't seem as out of place being earlier in the game.

3. I'm working on a TC (Total Conversion - more accurately an overhaul) and part of that is adding 20 new civs, Canada being one of the ones I've chosen... With your permission I'd love to use (most) of what you have in your mod.... with proper credit of course! :)

Anyone know why this happens.......I was playing the game for about 2 hours....then saved the game. Had dinner "cause my wife said I had too". Went back and loaded the saved file and BOOM Run _time error. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks .....

Can you post the complete ModBuddy project files to make it possible for others to help make adjustments?

Also, the Modders guide gives some examples of SQL you can add to the mod to disable units. That might apply to all civs though, not just the one you're adding. Not sure.

I don't understand why they've made it so hard to do mods now. I remember in Civ 3 it was so simple. I guess this is more powerful and lets people make fancier stuff, but it sure makes it harder to do simple things. Making a Civ should not require knowing XML, SQL, graphics file formats, installing visual studio.....omg.

--Julian

I just started playing Civ V and thought about doing the Canadian Civ - thx for this. I was looking through what you have, which is gr8, and noticed that there is no JTF2 unit - the Canadian elite special forces. Not sure which unit it could replace, IMHO JFT2 and Avro are the two unique units for Canada. Not saying peace keepers is not; just my opinion. Maybe we could have three unique units for Canada!

Hi all,

Apologies for the radio silence on this. I was a fool thinking I could manage work, med school and working on a mod. Anyway, you'll find attached the whole modbuddy project which you're welcome to modify in any way. I'm throwing this open to the whole community.

Again, I'm really sorry that I haven't had the time to maintain this. You all have excellent suggestions and I'd love to see some of your mods based on this. Also, you're all welcome to use the contents in any other mods that you might be working on (such as total conversions, etc.).

Sincerely,

MAB

Attachments

• Canada - True North, Strong and Free.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
Apologies for the radio silence on this. I was a fool thinking I could manage work, med school and working on a mod. Anyway, you'll find attached the whole modbuddy project which you're welcome to modify in any way. I'm throwing this open to the whole community.
I know what that's like heh. So many mod ideas but hardly any time to work on them... Hopefully someone has the time to pick this up, looked like a great start.

Unique building: Tim Hortons, +2 :c5happy: ? :D

everything in this mod has something like TXT_CIV_CANADA or something like that, is there a way to fix this? I would love this mod if it worked for me.

All you do to fix this issue is rename all the city names to "<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CANADA_CITY-NAME">" in "NewText.xml" and "Civ_Canada.xml"

This mod isnt working at all for me..I have the txt key errors for basically every bit of text and it crashed the game on load.

Up until very recently, Canada worked fine for me, but now I'm also getting the TXT_KEY errors. Must've been something in one of the recent patches/fixes (?)

Hi there,
I'm playing the dominion of Canada mod and I just started building my Arrows and have discovered that they can't re-base. It's as if the game thinks their re-base range is zero: when I click re-base the cursor changes to re-base but the screen doesn't show any highlighted cities in range. Not only that, but in airstrike mode it only shows cities, not units, as valid targets. So they're only good for running interception missions from their home city!!

Anyone else have either of these problems?

Nice, I'll be sure to try this when possible :) (assuming the new patches since its creation play nice with it... according to the post directly above it seems they might have added "operational range" on a per-unit-type basis in a 2011 patch).

I had an idea for a Canadian UA but didn't know where to put it, so I'll post it to this thread rather than make a new one without having anything to offer. Not meaning to detract from your UA ideas though as I'll be happy to try out +2 gold on strats and play accordingly.

Anyway:

Strong & Free: Units in combat that have a lower strength than the opposing unit have their strength raised by half the difference, and culture and gold cost of tundra and snow tiles is halved.

- The "Strong" part is a nod to our military accomplishments while still not encouraging an overly powerful army, since it only takes effect when weaker units fight stronger units. I think it would come in especially useful for outdated ranged units. I'm actually not sure if it would be over- or under- powered, or if it would overly encourage severely out-dated units... might have to put a limit on how much the strength can be boosted by %.
- The "Free" part is a nod to the size of the country, similar to the US's manifest destiny but only for cold areas, and applies to cultural growth as well. While culture cost would be halved, cultural preference would not be affected; Canadian cities won't target tundra any more than any other civ's cities, but when they do target it, they will complete it faster. This probably wouldn't be as powerful as the "strong" part, just useful for claiming resources in tundra\snow.

"Strong" must be hard if not impossible to code currently, not sure about "Free" as I haven't dived into the xml yet and just wanted to post the ideas first.

What about a nod to the First Nations? The UU's are late-game units. You could go with the Cree, for example, and get some unique stuff available earlier.

I have been reading this thread, and as a nod to the anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, I thought that the Canadian Corps in World War 1 should be used instead of the Peacekeepers.

The Canadian Corps was the 1st time that Canadians fought under a Canadian general (Arthur Currie) and captured Vimy Ridge from the Germans, despite failures by the French and the British. They were famous on both sides and regarded as most respected and effective on the Western Front and were called "Shock Troops"

I think that the Canadian Corps should be Canada's UU and replace the infantry unit. They should probably have a special ability of "bombarding" their target before they attack, as they became famous for their creeping barrage and use of artillery. This unit is in my opinion more worthy than the peacekeeper.

If you want to also reflect Canada's peacekeeping operations, you could change the UA of Canada to "Peace and Prosperous" either having other civs be friendlier to Canada (for our friendliness to other nations), or have open borders with everyone (onesided) (to reflect our UN peacekeeping missions) This could help balance the UU's that might distract from Canada's commitment to peace.
OR you could have an "Iron Ribbon" UA, railroads and roads help units move faster (as a nod to the CPR)

I think that the UB should be an "RCMP Contigent" to replace the courthouse and it would create less unrest and more happiness in that city (as a nod to the RCMP as opposed to having what was suggested as a unit) This arrangement would satisfy Canada's peacekeeping and military contributions, as well as our police force and create a more realistic civ for Canada.

For all the people who think that Canada's UU's are too late in game should realize that Canada is a relatively young country, and having some sort of native unit or so would in my opinion feel out of place, as Canada emerged as middle power not too long ago.

Just My Opinion

Hey, does anyone know how to get the Avro and Peacekeeper unit&#8217;s icon to show, I have a sort of dark, brownish, back logo for both of them.

Maybe you should change the special unit to thee Grizzly tank which was invented by Canada and change the leader to Pierre Trudeau because he kept the nation together when Quebec nearly left the nation and also while in office Canada became fully independent. Our first prime minister however was practically a governor of a colony that was half independent.

is it possible to put the new updated mod available to download on this site? i run on a mac and steam workshop doesnt work! thanks!

Top Bottom