Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

That's correct, but that file is actually a package, and when you Show Package Contents you should see all the files that make up the app.

That's correct, but that file is actually a package, and when you Show Package Contents you should see all the files that make up the app.

Many thanks! :D
I re-installed the game and searched the MainMenu.lua file, now are two and all works good! :goodjob:

I have a problem. I have Steam-registered Civ V G&K. When I copy the path string /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app into Finder Go, it says that the file cannot be found. Help..

If you used exactly that string, then it will fail. It's looking in the /Library/ folder at the top level of your hard drive. You need a '~' (tilde) at the start of the string, which says look for the Library in your Home folder.

I have a problem. I have Steam-registered Civ V G&K. When I copy the path string /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app into Finder Go, it says that the file cannot be found. Help..

I'm having a similar issue. Steam updated and now I can't find it's folder in Application support, nor the files you're talking about SangayPipal. Because of this I also can't use mods since the button is gone from the main menu, and I can't exactly find the file to edit it back in.

It might also be worth mentioning that my game is completely vanilla (and I'm using a mac if that wasn't obvious enough ;) )

Any help?

EDIT: Never mind, I just entered it in again and it works all of the sudden. >///<

Hello, AlanH.

very new here and recently purchased civ5 bnw through steam. of course, lost my mods and can't seem to find them even after trying several different methods (almost all from your/this forum).

any ideas? is it too soon for brave new world mods on a mac?

thanks for your time and effort

If you had installed mods before the upgrade to BNW, they should still be in the Mods folder where you put them, but you will again need to enable the Mods menu option to get them to show up in-game. There only seems to be one MainMenu.lua file. In Steam it's the one at:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

OR, in the Mac AppStore version:

/Applications/Civilization V Campaign Edition.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

Edit this file to disable (comment) the Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ) line by putting '--' at the start of the line as before. That seems to work, although it's another question whether any of your existing mods will still work with BNW.

I registered for an account on this site just so I could respond to this post and say THANK YOU. The instructions worked and I was able to install the Have Fun mod and it works great.

THANK YOU.

:goodjob:

@AlanH

thanks again for your time and effort. with your help, managed to get everything up and running again. cheers

Hi AlanH,

I have the Gods and Kings expansion pack and when I go to Step 3, I don't see the MainMenu.lua file for some reason. I want to use the Canadian Civilization mod but I can't do so because of this one problem. I've followed all the other steps correctly and it still doesn't show up in my mods.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Where are you looking for the file?

It appears that the latest versions of Civ5 don't seem to include a second copy of MainMenu.lua, so I have put that part of Step 3 in spoiler tags..

Where are you looking for the file?

It appears that the latest versions of Civ5 don't seem to include a second copy of MainMenu.lua, so I have put that part of Step 3 in spoiler tags..
Well first, I subscribed to the mod and I found it in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/########/ugc/.... I downloaded Keka to extract it and it came out as .zip. When I double clicked it to extract it again via my default zip extracter, it went back as a .civ5mod file so I thought it worked... But every time I kept trying to find the mod, it would never show up..

Now, every time I unsubscribe and resubscribe back to the mod, it won't even download.

So have you found the MainMenu.lua file now?

Keka doesn't recognise Civ5Mod files as compressed archives, so if you don't so anything special, it assumes you want to archive the Civ5Mod, and creates a .zip file. You need to tell Keka that it should extract the mod from the archive. You can do this by

EITHER:

(a) The preferred option described in the first post - downloading and installing my special version of the Keka Preferences file, which is attached to the first post

OR

(b) opening the Keka Preferences and setting its Actions to Always Extract instead of Perform automatic action. This means you can't use Keka as a more general purpose archiving utility unless you change it back again.

So have you found the MainMenu.lua file now?

Keka doesn't recognise Civ5Mod files as compressed archives, so if you don't so anything special, it assumes you want to archive the Civ5Mod, and creates a .zip file. You need to tell Keka that it should extract the mod from the archive. You can do this by

EITHER:

(a) The preferred option described in the first post - downloading and installing my special version of the Keka Preferences file, which is attached to the first post

OR

(b) opening the Keka Preferences and setting its Actions to Always Extract instead of Perform automatic action. This means you can't use Keka as a more general purpose archiving utility unless you change it back again.
Aah part b works now!! Thanks!!!

Hey, AlanH. I found your (extremely helpful) thread yesterday and have been reading it. I was able to get the Mods option to the main menu and download mods from steam, unzip them, and install them, but after that I hit a snag. After I select the mods I want to use and hit the "next" button, the game says "Configuring Game Data" before crashing.

Are the mods you are trying to use compatible with the version of Civ5 you are running?

I haven't tried loading and running any mods since my Steam system upgraded to version 1.0.3.18 and Brave New World

I tried again, and it turns out, it's just a specific mod. It could be out of date or something.

hello, this is my first post, sorry if you have answered before but
1.Do the mods download automatically when you subscribe to them, even if you don't run the game?
2.where can I find IGE ?
steam version user, thanks

1. The mods download automatically without the game running. However, I have only tested it by subscribing from within the Steam app. I don't know if it works if you subscribe from within a web browser when Steam is not running.

I assume you have read the first post, in which case you will be aware that, although they download, you have to install them manually. (At least that was the case last time I tried it)

2. You can subscribe to IGE in the Steam Workshop. You can also download it from this thread.

Top Bottom