A general strategy for Iroquois [BNW]

I'm glad you find the longhouse satisfactory, but I don't. Keeping all that forest leads to growth poor cities which leads to poor performance. Particularly for tradition, but liberty strategies need growth too. It seems a better compensatory measure would be if the longhouse provided an extra food per forest tile instead of an extra hammer, this may seem OP, but since all Iroquois cities lose the 10% production bonus, I think it's justified.

Going Tradition is actually where the Irq got the biggest boost in BNW. Food caravans/cargo ships to the capital benefit the Irq (and Celts) a lot. Also when going Tradition with a capital starting in forest, Goddess of the Hunt tends to be an excellent pantheon.

I was successful with Iroquois with both Liberty and Tradition (on Emperor difficulty). Really depends on the map and how much food and happiness you have available. If you're short on either of those, then lean towards Tradition; if you've got plenty of food and happiness around your start location, then go for Liberty and gobble up as much forest and jungle as you can.

The longhouse is very situational, and I'm sure there are probably other bonuses that the building could have been given to make it more valuable. A food bonus to offset Iroquois low-food start wouldn't be a bad idea (especially considering that Irq was a vanilla civ that didn't initially have pantheons or caravans available to buff their food). An alternative idea would maybe have been to include some happiness on the Longhouse in order to better support a wider empire. But instead, the devs just made the building cheaper.

Top Bottom