Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

I don't mind not knowing the map type, since that's something you can learn in game and adjust to pretty dynamically within the game. Map size, not so much!

I think map size only needs to be mentioned if not normal, and should not be in a spoiler. Had I known this detail before I started play, I'd have picked epic, not normal.

I agree with this exactly.
keet the other details in spoiler, I want to be challenged as I discover them,
but keep map size public, as well as any significant variations.....
I think if you look at how the GOTM series is done, you can really pick it up from there:

how did this actually start? well I suddenly noticed people who play normal speed were taking epic and marathon..... so I was like wtf? those guys aren´t noobs, it must be something about the map - so I was forced to open the spoiler.
If it just said large map, that would have been sufficient for me

example:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/civ4games/index.php?month=70040

also I am starting to get in favour of no goody huts/ events save.
it also helps the spirit, which is to advice each other..... that is hard of someone s scaut got ambushed, someone got MC from hut, and yet other was attacked by archers barb event.....

today I got a really crazy event, around turn 100 in one of my best cities:
all improvements around that city were just destroyed.. it was an event, not espionage.

just there: 40+ worker turns gone out of thin air, not even any options
i would say, that for me this was the last drop. it´s just annoying.

it gave me some laughs though, IE the corp event wants the government to take some resources from another nation by war, to increase profits

You can just start the game /w custom scenario and turn off events there.

There's nothing else to define. The only difference is huts/events.

well you are not correct.
for example there is an option to allow culture flipping.
no I am sure this can happen.

so all the people who play with events of and also don't enable this option, have an easier game.
and there is more of these options. the custom settings are not default, and thats a problem.

so it¨s better if the game host prepares the saves correctly, so everyone has a same starting conditions and rules. and someone might even change the rules intentionally.

The option is to NOT allow culture flipping and is off by default.

I am saying, that if you leave nothing checked, it's the exact same thing as just double clicking on the file. The only reason to even start a custom scenario is to disable events.

The "rules" is just having nothing checked. You can't alter the save to not have random events (someone would have already done it if it were possible-- well at least I hope); these are just all game options.

You can force no events into the XML in the save file - but then people who want to play with events would need a save with the XML set to allow them.

So you'd end up with 4 saves per difficulty (events+huts, only events, huts only, neither). Which would be a lot of extra work for something the individual players can easily do without changing the XML at all.

To disable events, just pick 'custom scenario', cover the top half of the screen with your hand so you can't see the AIs, pick the difficulty you want, and check the "no events" box. That's all. Everything else, leave unchanged.

It seems pretty clear from various comments that map size belongs un-spoilered. There might still be an issue about what I say in the outer spoiler (basically, map setup parameters like script, sea level, and other script-specific options) versus the inner (how I edited what the script gave us).

For huts and events I've set up a polling thread.

I am playing through old NC games but as the other civs in those games. There are half a dozen or so games that cannot be opened, all fronm the same period and all set up originally by TMIT. Just go on to later games, where there is no problem (or to the first ten games, which are also accessible).

Given that the oldest few WB save file attachments are Missing in Action, I've posted a .zip of all the Noble-level saves at MediaFire. Monarch/Immortal/Diety are going to have to wait for a while.

Most of the work was done by one of our Esteemed Colleagues, who collected all the old attachments for us several months ago. :goodjob: and I wish my memory were better or my search-fu more energetic so I could thank you by name.

In preparation for tomorrow's Churchill game I've updated the boilerplate in the OP. Suggestions welcome:
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Leader of Civ, whom we last played in NC num. The Civs start with tech1 and tech2.
IMG link for leader
  • Traits: Leader is trait1 and trait2.
  • The UB: The UB, a base building with improvement.
    IMG link for UB
  • The UU: The UU, a base unit with improvement.
    IMG link for UU
And the start:
IMG link for starting position
Spoiler map details :
What map script and options were used
Spoiler edits :
what edits were made.
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do request that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards.

Tentative posting updates are suggested at:

4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other continent if applicable, etc)
1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)

Remember, these are only guidelines. What we really want are your thoughts as the game goes on, so if your strategies don't fall into line with those dates, feel free to adjust your reports accordingly.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC number Leader Noble" (or Monarch, if you want the AI to start with its usual Archery bonus tech, or Immortal for Archery+Hunting, or Deity to add Agriculture). This allows you to play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.

Given that the oldest few WB save file attachments are Missing in Action, I've posted a .zip of all the Noble-level saves at MediaFire. Monarch/Immortal/Diety are going to have to wait for a while.

Most of the work was done by one of our Esteemed Colleagues, who collected all the old attachments for us several months ago. :goodjob: and I wish my memory were better or my search-fu more energetic so I could thank you by name.

It was me. And you are very welcome. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9512646&postcount=40

And again: You are my heroes. All of you NC hosts. :goodjob:

Top Bottom