Technologies

Ah, you were faster than me :)
But I had more to type...

All true.

I personally think it makes perfect sense to have social progress as techs. And it makes perfect sense to have social progress "eat up research time". After all technological progress and social progress compete for the same resource: Young, creative minds and their time and dedication.
Not surprising that social progress in modern era (almost) always started at universities. I can think of some examples: The German democratic movement that came into being in 1848, the sexual revolution, the protests of 1968...
Not surprising that in the years of neoliberal dogmatism since the 1990s no big social advances were made in western countries: It was the aim of the ones in power to use all available young creative minds for economic and technologic progress. In Europe this led to the so-called Bologna process. It reformed universities in a way that made it impossible for students to engage in anything that is not content of the ridiculously narrowed down curricula. No time for researching social techs...

That is pretty much exactly why I figured we would not have any kind of social advancement occurring in our mod at all.

That dogmatism era started not even 25 years ago and I still hope that it will be over within the next 5 years due to the current financial crisis. But I fear that I might be mistaken.

Still there is the possibility. And after all: What else are technologies in civ but possibilities? You don't have to research every tech. You used that principle in a clever way forcing civs to decide between the way towards sustainability or mars landing. So how about expanding that a little? How about a tech that represents the turning away from neoliberal "all for the economy" dogmatism that opens up a branch of social and intellectual advancements. As a possibility. You don't have to research it if you'd like to continue the tech-, military- and economy-oriented path.

Let's dredge this up. We will need to add some more techs to the mod, in order to account for all of the units planned. I've downloaded the techs and am playing around with them, but I've never done it before, so I might need help.

Here's a few of the things I think we need, right off the bat:
*Add Fission at the beginning, as a prequesite for Fusion and Nuclear Weaponry. It may have been discovered first during World War II, but the fact is that many countries still have not developed the capability to create superheavy elements, which is why it's such a sticky issue when nations like Iran announce they're doing it. Researching Fission would allow construction of Nuclear Reactors, along with Nuclear Submarines. (Though maybe some other tech would be required as well for the latter.)
*Sync up the techs so Nuclear Fusion is required for Cold Fusion, at least eventually.
*For some countries, we need more basic industrial/military techs. Remember that as much as this mod may be intended as the modern era, there are some nations that are a bit behind, so we need some techs that major nations like the USA and EU will have discovered, but some more primitive nations still need to research. This is to implement our multi-tiered unit system.

nice idea... why dont you add also instead of tech nuclear fission why dont (again) by level of resarch (idea from road to war) like: early nuclear fission little attomic bombs (think of ww2) and continue like that using diferent tipes of bombs not only one (TSAR BOMBA!!!!!) also talking about bombs why not conventional strong missiles or bombs (FOAB- MOAB) will be fun : )

continue like that so you could build nuclear reactors for energy (early = less safe) and keep on upgrading them while giving new bonuses...

and instead of (for example) advanced flight: supersonic engines... stealth aircafts... and keep on it...

I like your ideas, though I may not implement them until the current units are done. One thing people might not realize is that even units that are already in the core game can be a lot of work, since I have to bind them to our new tech tree.

Top Bottom