My first Work-in-Progress make of the mod is up for download.

Bahmo

King
This link: http://www.fileplanet.com/214569/210000/fileinfo/World-2010-Mod-Workshop

Note the word, "workshop" in the title, because this is just a collection of files now, not a working mod. Problem is, I have no idea why the hell not, and nor does anybody else I've asked, but nobody's actually viewed my work themselves.

The file that doesn't load is technologies. I have completed as much as I can understand, and am now in dire need of someone who knows more about modding than I do. I will contact all the rest of the staff to come read this, as well as other modding veterans.

My apologies, perhaps Fileplanet threw it away for some reason. I'll look into it.

I think i have found the error. there are many random '-' in the code and it isnt properly indented. luckily XML Marker has an automatic indent so i just need to go through and remove the dashes. however i think these dashes may represent the bits of code that need working on (allthough the bits after the dashes are ok code-wise) so keep the origional file.

loading the mod after these changes just unloads a bucket of errors to do with the Tech's and Bonus XML's (the wrong techs are called in the bonusXML files.)

I have gone through all the Tech code now and there are no problems apart from some Names not agreeing (eg. COLDFUSION at one point and then COLD_FUSION at another, i have used the COLD_FUSION as the norm and applied this across all the tech names to make our job in the future easier. I have also removed the _DECSR from the desciption tag as they are not needed (not in core civ4 XML)). I am getting errors eg. "Tag: TECH_FUSION in Infro Class was incorrect. Current XML file is CIV4ReligionInfo.xml". i have checked the religion info and the names match up so i don't know what the problem is.

I have also made a new BonusXML file with "NONE" put into the Tech tags for the recources but now also getting errors for the Bonus Info Class's.

Maps are in the SVN Repository; however there aren't any actual maps in my mod at the moment. The idea was to get it loaded first, then the map.

@Cheesemijit, thanks for doing the work to fix the techs at least partially; I'll continue to look for someone who can finish them.

I have gone through and double checked for errors but i can't get it to work.

we may just have to throw in the towel for civ4 W2009 but when civ5 is released it will be alot easier to get together a modding team for a civ5 World 2010/11 Mod and we already have all the planning done.

Wrong. Very, very wrong. First of all, I don't plan on getting Civ V, at least not immediately. I thoroughly dislike the one-unit-per-tile/no-units-in-cities idea that the developers seem so intent on bragging about, the graphics strike me as ugly, I hate that religion was removed instead of made better, and finally, why should I want to buy a new game that takes everything back to basics when I can have so much more content in my current one thanks to two expansion packs and loads of fan modding?

Secondly, planning being finished doesn't mean jack if we switch to a new game and new rules. I made my plans with Civ4 specifically in mind.

Third, I also already completed just about every XML document needed to run this mod; tell me it'll be harder to find somebody to figure out what's wrong with my files than it will be to make every file froms scratch to run with Civ V, and I'll call bull. I'm never going to say I threw in the towel; I worked my ass off to get this done, and it's not my fault if nobody with more technical expertise lends a hand. I'm doing the best I can to bring all of their attention here.

I have to disagree with you about civ5, i havn't enjoyed playing civ4 recently just because i think about all the improvements civ5 makes and it makes it feel outdated and faulty, but thats just me. I personallly will give up civ4 modding as soon as i have civ5 and lock myself in with it for a couple of weeks.

I will however try to support or rally a team for a World 2010 mod for civ5 and i was asking if you would take the lead on that because you are the one that has put in the most work.

I am, or at least recently I am. The trouble is that all of the work was on Civ IV files. If I go over to modding Civ V, all of it will have been for nought. I won't take that blow to my self-esteem; I'm honored that you asked me to assume leadership of a new mod, but frankly I don't feel much like lending a hand to a modding community after they just ignored me for all these months, despite my best efforts. I might make a condition--if people at a new modding project want me to help toil for them, they send me enough technical experts to finally finish my Civ IV project, and then I'll consider working on a Civ V one.

It also occurs to me that, as much as this mod has been delayed just because of one stupid little thing or another, plus a lack of people knowing we exist, switching to Civ V will only provide more delays, because even with many players going right over to it, it will take a while for its modding community to mature to the size of Civ IV. So even if you think Civ V is a superior game, you won't be able to create a superior mod for it compared to what we'd have if we finished this one.

Top Bottom