Current Status + Future Updates

Sure, that sounds good. Ideology buttons are still needed.

So are we still sticking to the cultural ideologies model with the following ideologies? (That's what I assumed because of the realization of the "ethnic cleansing" feature...)
Western
Orthodox
Amerindian
Muslim
Hindu
African
Eastern
Jewish

If so then I'll start making buttons for these.

I can also help with the buttons for that after I learn how to make them.

@DVS - Hopefully you can teach me later today.

I thought we were going more with political ideologies

Neoliberalism
Wahhabism
Bolivarianism
Progressivism
Juche

or something similar

hm...so basically we still have two options:
- cultural ideologies with a finished list
or
- political ideologies with ideologies still to find

i could do buttons for both of them but since the political ones are not clear yet I'll start with the cultural ones (btw...how's ethnic cleansing gonna work with political ideologies?)

it's not i suspect, going to be able to work with either. we'll see.

I finished the XML work on the Jap UB and hope to get the art in later.

remake20, I asked you the first time, do not updated the SVN until you have tested your files to make sure they are not causing any new errors!

Do the modifications on your local copy of the mod. Then load the game + the mod,you should get two errors plus some playcolor errors, these will be the same every time. If you get any new errors, read them, they will tell you which lines you made the mistakes on. They are usually very simple things. Once you find the mistake, change it, then load the mod again. Once it loads with only the regular errors, and nothing crashes it, that's when you update the SVN.

Committing to the SVN shares your files with everyone who is working on it, you don't want to give everyone a bunch of new errors that you should be working out before updating.

If you're not sure how to do this, send me your files to look at. Don't update the SVN with files that don't work is the key.

World 2009 status update: January 14th, 2009

Red text = areas we can use help from fellow modders.
Blue text = areas we can use help from new researchers.

Overall:

Our mod is not yet ready to be tested or played. We are somewhere between v0.5 and v0.9 on our roadmap. With some serious effort we should have a playable mod that meets our standards released inside of two months.

Completed:

Civilizations. List.

Tech tree. Screenshots and discussion.

Corporations. Screenshots and discussion.

Mod Merges. Non official list of mods we have included. 2 or 3 non fatal errors remain but are being remedied.

Leaders. Leaders list. A couple screenshots. All 48 of these have been added, including LHs, buttons, and civilopedia entries. We're only using animated leaderheads; most have placeholder art for now, some look great, others need work. We could still use custom skins for a few more of our leaders. Art thread. China (Hu Jintao) in particular, if someone who can skin wants to do a request. It's such an important civ and I have such a crummy placeholder for him (Hirohito). Better placeholder suggestions also welcome. I also really can't find a LH that resembles Gaddafi in any way.

On the brink of completion... (No help needed)

Civics. Will be finished very soon thanks to bahmo, no help needed.

Scenario. A very ambitious undertaking, will be one of the last things finished, but is under control thanks to Genghis_Kai. No doubt several of us will have to help when it comes to getting the exact unit counts in there.

Buildings. Firestorm94 is going to start adding buildings once I get him an exact list, and depending on how many we go with I will help him add them once I'm done leaders. Between us we should have buildings taken care of. Please give us suggestions in the buildings thread.

Wonders. National Wonders are finished. I have a list of about 20 World Wonders that I will add this week. Feel free to suggest ideas for additional wonders.

In Development (can use help from new modders)

Units. Ajidica is beginning to add them, but there are a lot, he will almost certainly not be able to add them all himself. Someone please volunteer to help with the XML here! We could also use more art for a number of these. We still need someone to look around this forum and find existing naval units we can use. As well, sheep21 (who has done all of our military research) needs someone to help him by researching Armoured Personnel Carriers. Those are both great jobs for any non or beginner modder who wants to make a contribution and help get this released faster. Other than that, thanks to sheep, the list of all units and the number each country in the world has in service is finished. He has merged those down to a number we can reasonably include in the game, so our list of units to include is all but finished (other than APCs of course). Believe it or not! This mod and scenario is going to contain 48 civs with militaries balanced extremely close to exactly as they are in reality.

Features. We have found some of our feature ideas in other mods that we have now merged. Weapons Licenses are a done deal, no problem with those. We have a few SDK/Python people looking in to some of the other ones we would like to have in version 1.0, however our ability to have most of these functional remains in question. If you are a SDK/Python modder and want to help us make any of the changes, please send myself or NikNaks a private message. We would love to have you helping. IMO it would be great to find someone with these skills and some time who is interested in trying some additional GDP related modifications in particular. Features thread.

Unique Buildings and Units. Yes, we are are including unique buildings and units for all 48 civs in version 1.0. The names/bonuses for the buildings are here. We need someone to add the XML for these using placeholder art. If I have to do these myself it will delay the release by weeks. In addition to that, someone making buttons for them would help, but that is much less of a priority. The 3d art for the majority of these will have to wait for Version 2.0. The ideas for unique units are being researched by sandman730, but we need a lot, I'm sure he could use a hand from a new researcher. With these we are going to try to stick mostly to variations of the Infantry. (since most countries don't produce their own armoured units)

Ideologies and Events. Ideas for each are finalized, XML work still has to be done. (volunteers welcome) Ideologies are our replacement for religion, no XML work has begun on them. Buttons are taken care of thanks to ianinsane. We have enough good ideas for events. Some have been added, I don't know the exact status. If we can't find someone new to help with these, I'm sure the existing team can handle them soon enough. Other areas are a priority I'd say, but if someone wants to take a crack and them, please do.

Team members feel free to add to/update this.

Developing the more advanced features fully is going to take time (potentially well after 1.0 comes out), but once we finish up the few other remaining tasks we have listed here, we will be ready for public beta testing. I want to be there by the end of February boys, so let's keep rocking.

Hopefully we can find a new team member or two to help us make my ambitious goal of finishing 1.0 next month. If you want to help, send myself or NikNaks a private message, or post anywhere in the forum.

I am working on all of the technologies' civilopedia entries, so no need for anyone else to do them unless they feel they really want to! I should be finished within a week possibly, so I hope I won't be keeping the deadline too far away. :)

Not at all, and we're glad to have you doing them.

looks good from here DVS, good to see where the entire mod stands :)

Should have come to visit this project much earlier. The ideas and the team looks promising. Most importantly of course, is to see GEM gets chosen for being the map for this great mod! :)

Glad to hear you say that Genghis_Kai, thank you. :)

...and thanks for making the GEM!

Should have come to visit this project much earlier. The ideas and the team looks promising. Most importantly of course, is to see GEM gets chosen for being the map for this great mod! :)

Most scary, you mean. I love what you did with that map, but trying to run it with the sheer amount of players in this mod may well prove a problem.

As already discussed multiple times we can always make a second (smaller) map with less civs for people with older computers or those who want a fast game.

Any decent computer will be able to run our mod without problems, especially with graphics levels set to low. I have been testing a GEM with 50 civs and more units than we are going to start with, and it runs fine on my (not great, years old) PC.

I appreciate your concerns but I do not share them.

Post 2009!

Nothing special to post here right now.

Except welcome Genghis_Kai to the team!

right lads , i'm looking forward to this ne , keep at it , we ain't getting any younger

Top Bottom