MAP development

Does the GEM have special terrain movement costs in the Pacific? Since it is smaller than in reality to have more space on that map for land area it would take a much shorter time for a fleet to cross the Pacific. The World 2009 mod is much about realistic simulation so shouldn't we have a special Pacific tile to slow down navy? This might be significant if there was to be some war between e.g. USA and China.

And another thing that stroke me when I had a closer look at the GEM screenshot: Suez seems to consist of two tiles. Wouldn't it be nice to narrow it to one tile so a city on that tile would represent the Suez Channel that would only be open for nations who have open borders with Egypt. Just like the Russian Black Sea Fleet can leave the Black Sea only through Istanbul.

I don't think GEM has a movement modifier for the Pacific. (Interesting idea though.)

As for Suez: I have a habit of editing maps I use, so I'll look into it. (Although the Suez Canal has 2 cities - Suez and Port Said and a canal can also be simulated by a fort on one of either tiles.)

As for Suez: I have a habit of editing maps I use, so I'll look into it. (Although the Suez Canal has 2 cities - Suez and Port Said and a canal can also be simulated by a fort on one of either tiles.)

So we could have one city and one fort to bypass the two tiles between Red Sea and Middle Sea? That would be nice because you could actually destroy the Suez Channel by bombing the fort. If we exclude city razing from this mod destroying a 1-city-on-1-tile-channel would be impossible.

Let's hope the Egyptian AI is smart enough not to replace that fort with a solar power plant...

Let's hope the Egyptian AI is smart enough not to replace that fort with a solar power plant...

True. It almost certainly won't be.

I don't think GEM has a movement modifier for the Pacific. (Interesting idea though.)

I can't wait to see what you come up with. :D

Let me know if you need anything to help you along.

Talking about editing the maps, have you considered trying to enlarge Israel/Palestine? That was what stood out to me when I examined the map you're using.

Possibly the Koreas as well, but I couldn't think of any way to do it.

Yeah, I've played on GEM before (specifically as the Israeli's (Sumerians in the mod are called Israeli's)), and if we put the capitol of Israel as Jerusalem, then there is absolutely no room for Palestine. Plus there will only be enough room for 1 to 2 more cities in Israel (of course with severe overlap). We probably should enlarge it, along with the rest of the western Middle east (west of Iraq), as the whole area seems a bit crammed.

Also after looking at the map a bit (and playing a little on it too), do you think we should edit out the unnecessary desert in Louisiana, Netherlands, Eastern China, etc. I never fully understood why it was put in anyways.

desert in the netherlands? one of the most fertile countries in europe. definitely change that one!

I think he means Flood Plains.

Oh, that makes sense, though can we change the desert flood plains tile, to maybe grassland floodplains, cause whenever I look at the map, those out of place desert tiles always stick out like a sore thumb... it just kinda bugs me... but I digress, do what you (whoever is making the map) thinks is best for good game play.

he'll show us something when he's ready. ;-)

I have just read through the last few post on this thread and would like to add some comments that are related to GEM to contribute my two cents.

1) Suez is definitely one tile in width. In my 1940 scenario, Suez is a city that is working as a canal.
2) Pacific special tile sounds like a great idea. Are you guys thinking of making new terrain types, resources for this mod? That would opens up a lot of possibilities I suppose.
3) Desert + floodplain is the standard way to represent floodplain in CIV. I personally don't like that combo too. So in previous revision of GEM, I was doing exactly the suggested combo here - grassland + floodplain to represent those area such as Netherlands, Yellow River and Niles. The problem is that there are many people complained that it makes these areas producing too much food (up to 6 food without development!). So I revert to the default in the later revisions.

1) Suez is definitely one tile in width. In my 1940 scenario, Suez is a city that is working as a canal.
You're right. My mistake. Have been playing your 1940 scenario for the last two days and I love it.

3) Desert + floodplain is the standard way to represent floodplain in CIV. I personally don't like that combo too. So in previous revision of GEM, I was doing exactly the suggested combo here - grassland + floodplain to represent those area such as Netherlands, Yellow River and Niles. The problem is that there are many people complained that it makes these areas producing too much food (up to 6 food without development!). So I revert to the default in the later revisions.
I think this is exactly right as the Netherlands are Europes most densely populated area. So they do need "too much food"!

Europe has some of the most effecicent farming methods on the planet, acre for acre Europe produces more than most other areas.

Europe has some of the most effecicent farming methods on the planet, acre for acre Europe produces more than most other areas.

Well, if I remember correctly, I think FAO's research data says that Ukraine and Argentina's soil are the best for growing crops. Technology has it's own food bonus (such as Biology) so I think it should be independent of the land tiles.

But anyway, I just wanted to share my two cents. The decision is of course up your team.

no problem. Life would be boring if we all agreed on everything :)

thanks for creating such a great map!

I have just read through the last few post on this thread and would like to add some comments that are related to GEM to contribute my two cents.

2) Pacific special tile sounds like a great idea. Are you guys thinking of making new terrain types, resources for this mod? That would opens up a lot of possibilities I suppose.

Thanks for this info. And yes, we are making new resources, and thinking about making new terrain types.

Some people may have noticed my production has been slow to emerge lately... The reason for this, apart from the disappearance from the modding community of such esteemed members such as Amra and Lokolus, is a distinct lack of motivation on my part, perhaps following certain changes of interest in my personal life. So, in short, I'm afraid, although posts may appear from time to time on these forums, I must announce the cessation of further modding on my part. It was fun doing what I did and I can only hope new flagbearers will continue modding (I've noticed a number of new faces already...)!:hatsoff:

PS I will post later today or tommorrow what I've got so far.

Sorry to hear that JEELEN, but I wish you the best in whatever you start spending your free time on!

Thanks for posting what you have so far (please don't forget before you go! :)), that is still a great contribution to this mod. We can take it from where you left off, and get this finished.

You've provided so many great scenarios for gamers to play with, hopefully new modders will follow in your footsteps!

Thanks JEELEN, although I came too late to fully appreciate your work (one of those new faces I guess). We will carry the mantle you left!

Top Bottom