Overall Civ Elimination Thread

You could have probably have called the winner very early on, most up votes for Poland were about the UA. To me they are still very boring but to each their own.

I'll definitely agree with you that the Incans are the better designed civ. Poland is insanely powerful, so I voted for it, but the Incans require you to match your playstyle to the UA, and to choose your cities with regards to the UI/UA. This civ is powerful, good, and unique, which is awesome. Still, the majority of us were voting based on power, and Poland is the strongest civ in the game.

What do you guys think of starting a "Best Designed Civ" thread? Basically, this would be similar to this thread, except instead of voting on power, we would vote for the civs we like and don't like the ideas/executions for, and the civs we would want developers to try to emulate for later civ games? In this poll for me, civs like Assyria, the Incans, and the Shoshone would be really high because I like their uniqueness, while America and Babylon would be pretty low because the benefits are kind of passive or not all that game changing.

Should I start it?

I'll definitely agree with you that the Incans are the better designed civ. Poland is insanely powerful, so I voted for it, but the Incans require you to match your playstyle to the UA, and to choose your cities with regards to the UI/UA. This civ is powerful, good, and unique, which is awesome. Still, the majority of us were voting based on power, and Poland is the strongest civ in the game.

What do you guys think of starting a "Best Designed Civ" thread? Basically, this would be similar to this thread, except instead of voting on power, we would vote for the civs we like and don't like the ideas/executions for, and the civs we would want developers to try to emulate for later civ games? In this poll for me, civs like Assyria, the Incans, and the Shoshone would be really high because I like their uniqueness, while America and Babylon would be pretty low because the benefits are kind of passive or not all that game changing.

Should I start it?

I don't necessarily agree that Poland is insanely powerful. They become powerful the longer they stay in the game but they have no real focus early on and can get stomped on at that point. If they are still around by the time ideologies come out then you might wish you took them out or at least slowed them down.
I think this is the thing with the most powerful civs, a human player will make them a high priority to 'damage' but the AI doesn't. As a result certain UA seem almost like exploits. The Mongols fall into that category as well but the changes to warmongering have made their play style more difficult.

I don't necessarily agree that Poland is insanely powerful. They become powerful the longer they stay in the game but they have no real focus early on and can get stomped on at that point. If they are still around by the time ideologies come out then you might wish you took them out or at least slowed them down.
I think this is the thing with the most powerful civs, a human player will make them a high priority to 'damage' but the AI doesn't. As a result certain UA seem almost like exploits. The Mongols fall into that category as well but the changes to warmongering have made their play style more difficult.
They do have a very nice production bonus in their classical era UB to help keep them from getting "stomped" early. They're one of those civs that really doesn't have a weak period, or weaknesses in general. Probably why they won. There certainly are more interesting civs though. It was one of the reasons I never upvoted Poland until we were down to final three.

They do have a very nice production bonus in their classical era UB to help keep them from getting "stomped" early. They're one of those civs that really doesn't have a weak period, or weaknesses in general. Probably why they won. There certainly are more interesting civs though. It was one of the reasons I never upvoted Poland until we were down to final three.
Unless I misunderstand the UB you need pastures to build it, admittedly that is not as bad as needing horses but you can get a start without tiles that can support pastures.
And yet civs got eliminated because their UU/UB required a resource, I still feel it is because they are easy to exploit. The UU/UB are just gravy, if they didn't get the UB it wouldn't have changed things much. To a similar extent the Shoshone did a lot better than they should because they get a boost to something that can be a struggle, getting good results from Ruins and expanding their borders. These aren't things I struggle with so to me those civs become meh.

In a player with Human opponents, i.e. every civ is being optimised, Poland are not so powerful. The same is true of some others of course. But in that top group Poland are more vulnerable.

I like having Poland as AI in my games, means there will be garunteed one strong AI mid-late game that diplomatically is reasonable, unlike some people (looking at you Alex). Yes their UB requires resources but husbandry resources are quite plentiful, even had the odd city here and there with 4-6 of them (predominantly sheep) which can be a pretty big boost when the building can be built.

Side question: recently had Aztecs score lake Victoria in a game and the floating gardens didn't add the 2 food, bug?

I'm also glad they won as I'm lazy and only picked up expansions, so I didn't want to see basically a stand alone dlc Civ take top honors. I do believe the "best" Civ should be included in the actual game not dl'd seperately.

I like having Poland as AI in my games, means there will be garunteed one strong AI mid-late game that diplomatically is reasonable, unlike some people (looking at you Alex). Yes their UB requires resources but husbandry resources are quite plentiful, even had the odd city here and there with 4-6 of them (predominantly sheep) which can be a pretty big boost when the building can be built.

Side question: recently had Aztecs score lake Victoria in a game and the floating gardens didn't add the 2 food, bug?

I'm also glad they won as I'm lazy and only picked up expansions, so I didn't want to see basically a stand alone dlc Civ take top honors. I do believe the "best" Civ should be included in the actual game not dl'd seperately.

If I understand it correctly, all Natural Wonders are treated as mountains.

Top Bottom