General A New Dawn discussion

Sure, this one is from a very old revision though, I'm not sure if there have been changes in the more recent ones.

Was 67 the last option?

Thanks

JosEPh

As I was playing just read the rumor: The Mutapa City State (born from a barb city) has found some treasure.
Okay, I have enough espionage to look into the city, so let's see...

Spoiler :

He already has 4 treasures in the city doing nothing with them.
I didn't want to hurt them, but to let them develop into a full civ, but...
I changed my mind [pimp]

That raises the question: Does the AI know, what to do with this unit?
It didn't use it either for culture boos or for hurrying production.

Pretty sure the AI knows how to use them just about as well as they use the Caravans and Freighters. That is, they just either shuffle them around their territory, or hole them up in a random city.
I've never once seen an AI use its Treasure unit. Heck, one game the Incas got two Treasures in BC years, and come 2017 they STILL had the two units parked away in their capitol, and would every so often have it move to another city only to move it back to the capitol a turn later :lol:

If the AI does ever use the Caravans I haven't seen it. I think the only time I've seen an AI with one is when they're the first to Trade and get the free unit with it.

Heh, in my current game... I think I figured out why Hammurabi was having some early trouble with barbarians. The 'Barbarian World' option was not kind to him it seems :lol:
Civ4ScreenShot2557.JPG
I'm on the northern tip of that island, and expanded more or less unopposed while Hammurabi drew all their attention!

I was loading up my original game file so I could save this as a Scenario to play again later (minus the Barbarian Civs option which I forgot to disable), and saw that poor Babylon was surrounded by Barb cities! :eek:
Gual would later form Holy Rome and I'd raze the city on the left, and Hammurabi with some elephants gifted by me would take his capitol, only to lose it to Holy Rome in a revolution years later. Avar became Augustus and at one point declared on Hammurabi (And with both at Pleased with each other :lol: ) but the war ended without either side doing anything. They're now Friendly with both each other and myself while everyone on the island hates and is hated by Charles V. :)

On a different topic... What was the 'Dark Ages' option supposed to do? :confused:
I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I heard it wasn't working properly or something?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13176962 said:
No, there are at least 2 more: Minimum City Border (visible) and Advanced Cargo Mod (hidden).

Those were introduced after I took the screenshot. As I said, it's from an old rev.

When I'll have some time I'll download the newest revision and make a more updated screenshot/list. It won't be soon, though.

On a different topic... What was the 'Dark Ages' option supposed to do? :confused:
I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I heard it wasn't working properly or something?

I guess it's an unfinished feature. I think it should have somehow introduced an era where you were having more penalties in developing or even fall back in techs, but IIRC it's not possible to "unlearn" techs, so that project was probably abandoned. I think it was discussed for a while in C2C forum.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13178496 said:
I guess it's an unfinished feature. I think it should have somehow introduced an era where you were having more penalties in developing or even fall back in techs, but IIRC it's not possible to "unlearn" techs, so that project was probably abandoned. I think it was discussed for a while in C2C forum.

Dark Ages was an Afforess unfinished project. It encountered several major problems and he laid it aside. It was supposed to trigger sometime late classical or early medieval. Not sure if os79 helped with it or tried to make changes to get it to work. But it was abandoned and never removed.

JosEPh

Well it just doesn't get any better than this. A perfect run-through with NO bugs or interruptions at all. Just hours of FUN FUN FUN!
The Game;
rev 684 non svn
huge map, epic speed, 11 civs, 2600 turns, Diety (mostly, I cheat a bit)

Yes I know you guys are working hard to make this mod the best that it can be but, MAN, it is so nice to be able to play a bug free mod at this level. THANK YOU!

Well it just doesn't get any better than this. A perfect run-through with NO bugs or interruptions at all. Just hours of FUN FUN FUN!
The Game;
rev 684 non svn
huge map, epic speed, 11 civs, 2600 turns, Diety (mostly, I cheat a bit)

Yes I know you guys are working hard to make this mod the best that it can be but, MAN, it is so nice to be able to play a bug free mod at this level. THANK YOU!

Very happy to hear that! :)

Those were introduced after I took the screenshot. As I said, it's from an old rev.

When I'll have some time I'll download the newest revision and make a more updated screenshot/list. It won't be soon, though.

Here's an updated one :)

Attachments

• AND Gameoptions.jpg
    AND Gameoptions.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 226
Thanks 45*.

JosEPh

As I was playing just read the rumor: The Mutapa City State (born from a barb city) has found some treasure.
Okay, I have enough espionage to look into the city, so let's see...

Spoiler :

He already has 4 treasures in the city doing nothing with them.
I didn't want to hurt them, but to let them develop into a full civ, but...
I changed my mind [pimp]
(...)

...so I took that city, just to see the message: "There was an earhquake in the roman city Zimbabve. Some improvements are destroyed."
Which ones? The city ruins!!! :confused: :crazyeye: :lol:
I never thought ruins can be ruined. :D

...so I took that city, just to see the message: "There was an earhquake in the roman city Zimbabve. Some improvements are destroyed."
Which ones? The city ruins!!! :confused: :crazyeye: :lol:
I never thought ruins can be ruined. :D

They got ruined even further! :lol:

Alright so I know that normally these two AI would be pretty friendly with each other in any other circumstance, but at the moment Fredrick is ticked off at Musa because of repeated war Declarations (Forced upon him due to Musa being my vassal :mischief: ), but it was amusing to see at any rate. I can only imagine what Musa would be saying to poor Frederick at this time, being all friendly and cheerful while he sends military units to stomp through his farms and stuff. We're not actually at war right now, but still :lol:

one-sided-friendship.jpg

It does remind me of a pretty painful game I had back during the Noble/Large testing games a while back though, where Flexible Difficulty had upped the difficulty up to Prince without me knowing (I end my turns so fast I often don't see the notification, and didn't see it enabled to begin with) and an AI declared war on me and sent over a hundred Heavy Cavalry into my borders, and my only friend that wasn't weaker than I was refused to declare on him because "He's our friend!"
Best part of this was it was a very similar situation to this picture - a completely one-sided friendship. The French (My friend) was Friendly with the Portuguese, but the Portuguese were Annoyed and bordering Furious with the French. In fact, after I forced peace via WB - having given up on the game and retired - he promptly declared on the French just two turns later! :lol:

What I don't get about Flexibile Difficulty is HOW it decides if you're doing good or bad. Couple games ago, Isabella had TWICE my score and with no vassals, and was at 0.3 power compared to me and nearly a full era ahead of the world, and I get the message that the difficulty has been increased!? Seriously?? :cry:
No, Increasing Difficulty was not on. Just the BUG Flexibile Difficulty. I forced it down back to Warlord so I could try to recover, and a dozen turns later it increased it to Noble and then back up to Prince. Ugh!

Few games later I was simply running away with score and power, plowing over everyone and everything, and most of my neighbors could just collapse if I sneezed on them, and Flexible Difficulty refused to push it past Noble despite the fact I had max difficulty set to Monarch :confused:

It just seems that whenever I have FB enabled, it will adjust once or twice, but then never budge again. In that last game I mentioned? It had decreased the difficulty once in the Ancient Era, increased it twice in the Classic, and then once more to Noble in the Medieval... But never budged again. I really do not understand how this option works "under the hood". I get what it's supposed to do, but frankly sometimes it just seems to fail at that :p
Making it harder when I'm losing 20 to 1, and ignoring things when I'm running away with the game by a landslide.

Flexible difficulty just looks at your rank on the scoreboard. Not your actual score, or strength, or anything else. So if you are in the top 1/3 of the scoreboard, it interprets this as "doing well". Same goes for the opposite.

Yes, this probably warrants some improvement.

I'm thinking a better method of determining how well a player is doing is based on score, for simplicity. Find the average score. Check to see if the player is within 1 standard deviation of the average. If so, no difficulty adjustment. If they are below 1 std deviation, lower difficulty, if they are above, raise difficulty.

Flexible difficulty just looks at your rank on the scoreboard. Not your actual score, or strength, or anything else. So if you are in the top 1/3 of the scoreboard, it interprets this as "doing well". Same goes for the opposite.

Yes, this probably warrants some improvement.

I'm thinking a better method of determining how well a player is doing is based on score, for simplicity. Find the average score. Check to see if the player is within 1 standard deviation of the average. If so, no difficulty adjustment. If they are below 1 std deviation, lower difficulty, if they are above, raise difficulty.

Why didn't it boost the difficulty when I was pulling a 3,000+ score with the second AI barely above 1,000 and the rest 900 or lower then? :confused:
I was at the top of the scoreboard since the Medieval and it never once left that, not even when I got to the late Industrial. Never once rose above Noble, but it did rise during the Classic.

I had it set to Warlord ~ Monarch, and it stayed at Noble until the game ended via Mercy Rule.

I think that's a good idea :)

What's the Mercy Rule?

What's the Mercy Rule?

If one civ's score is > the sum of all other players, a 10 turn countdown begins. (This is appears on the HUD). If the civ's score is still greater than the sum of all other players 10 turns later, the game ends.

Basically a way to quickly end the game when 1 person is clearly outstripping the rest.

Why didn't it boost the difficulty when I was pulling a 3,000+ score with the second AI barely above 1,000 and the rest 900 or lower then? :confused:
I was at the top of the scoreboard since the Medieval and it never once left that, not even when I got to the late Industrial. Never once rose above Noble, but it did rise during the Classic.

I had it set to Warlord ~ Monarch, and it stayed at Noble until the game ended via Mercy Rule.

I think that's a good idea :)

Flexible difficulty is only rechecked every 50 turns or so (configurable in the BUG panel). You may have set min/max difficulties that prevented rebalancing too.

Ah. I think I got close in my last game, but then I won a cultural victory whilst being some 6,000 points ahead of the field and needing only 0.5% more population to win a domination victory. :)

Top Bottom